hood shaking, functional hood pins or alternatives? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
hood shaking, functional hood pins or alternatives?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with hood pins on 11-14 mustang hoods, or experience with hoods coming off or rattling.

I wasn't too worried about this at all until recently I found one specific road that causes my hood to rattle. The road isn't that rough or bumpy and I think that relative wind speed causes my hood to rattle. Below 65 mph there is no rattle, above 70 it shakes too much to ignore. Haven't been able to replicate it on other roads or even going the other direction on the same road.

I don't really like the look of hood pins, but if they are worth while insurance against the hood flying open I may consider them. Online options seem really expensive and like an eye-sore. Most affordable option appears to be the steeda kit.

If there is a stronger latch or something that I could use under the hood I'm interested in that too. The hood doesn't feel loose or wobbly after pulling over and isn't releasing, just rattling at speed.

If anyone has suggestions or comments on the issue of hood rattle I'd love to hear it.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've never done it but folks can adjust their hood latch. Since you don't like the look of hood pins try that 1st
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Try playing with the adjustment of the hood bumpers a bit....they are on your rad support. The hood has a secondary catch, as has every car since the 1960s so, you should be ok to play a bit here at normal road speeds.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just took a peak at the hood bump stops, the arrows on each were pointed in different angles, not sure how they should point. While I was there I crawled under to look at the lower air deflector and took some video, thinking this might be the cause, what do you think? The movement is me lifting on the deflector with 1 finger.

https://youtu.be/s4ivYYbWfyo

https://youtu.be/brZ2J5sibrU
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Usually if your hood shakes it's a problem with the splash tray on the bottom of the car. That tray prevents pressure from building up under the hood, if its loose or missing it will flutter. Adjusting the hood stops can also help but if you go too high it won't latch properly. You should not need hood clips on a stock hood.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If there is anything missing in terms of the deflector bolts or damage, it will absolutely cause hood lift and even instability at speed. Every car I've heard of with your problem directly linked to some damage or missing stuff in the underhood air deflector.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had the same problem on my 14 TrakPak....then I installed the Boss 302 chin spoiler and Boss deflector..........no more problem even at twice the posted MPH. The stock GT deflector is a pressed fiber material and very flimsy as the Boss 302 is vented and solid material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-27 11.15.40.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	201813  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well the videos show that the deflector is not properly secured. Either missing a couple of bolts or broke through the plastic.
If broke through, add some large washers and reattach.
And it wouldn't hurt to make sure your hood latch and bumpers are where they should be. Refer to this video.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate714 View Post
I just took a peak at the hood bump stops, the arrows on each were pointed in different angles, not sure how they should point. While I was there I crawled under to look at the lower air deflector and took some video, thinking this might be the cause, what do you think? The movement is me lifting on the deflector with 1 finger.

https://youtu.be/s4ivYYbWfyo

https://youtu.be/brZ2J5sibrU
Sorry that I didn't look at the video before I responded.
It looks like some of the fasteners have either missing or broke through the material. This is not plastic but a compressed fiber material and once it is broken it's not pretty. I have seen people take thin strips of aluminum and sandwich them on both sides/epoxy them to the material and although this has lasted for awhile it will break again. If you can get it up in the air you should be able to see what's going on....
This could be an issue for the hood fluttering...on mine it wasn't...good luck!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

A number of people, including myself, have had hood shaking issues. It is 99% of the time due to improper airflow into the engine compartment, usually issues stemming from the lower air deflector. Per your video, your lower air deflector is having problems. Correct that and your problem will likely be solved.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT