Is it worth the $300 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is it worth the $300

I'm fixing to do my exhaust on my 2014 GT. I found a Magnaflow Tru-X-Pipe with Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats & Down Pipes for 11-14 Mustangs for $300. Plan to use Shorty Headers (not sure what brand yet) & Roush Axel backs.
So my first question is: Is the X-Pipe Set Up worth the $300 ?
Q #2: Do I need to get a Tune when I do the Exhaust ?
Q #3: Does anyone here have the Headers / X-pipe / Roush set up on their car ?
I can only find videos with the X-Pipe & Axel Back Roush's . The video's sounded great but I'm sure wondering what it sounds like with Headers too.
Let me know guys & Thanks !!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes to question #2
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the magna flow catted x pipe on mine paired with stock headers and gt500 axle backs. Car sounds great.

You will need a tune to disable p0420/p0430 due to the hi flow cats. That or you will need 02 extendersI recommended angled ones)
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know about the tune. I didn't think I'd need one for just exhaust but since I will I may as well get all my parts 1st Headers, X-Pipe, Roush AB's, Intake, CAI, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Throttle Body & then get a tune.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Good to know about the tune. I didn't think I'd need one for just exhaust but since I will I may as well get all my parts 1st Headers, X-Pipe, Roush AB's, Intake, CAI, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Throttle Body & then get a tune.

Why the CAI, injectors, and fuel pump?...
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If I'm going with a Bigger Throttle Body I'll need a Bigger CAI to supply enough air to accommodate the Bigger Injectors & Fuel Pump. More Air / More Fuel / More Power the way I see it.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You see it with the eyes of 1989.

The engine has more cai than it needs stock, the injectors are fine unless you go FI, the throttle body can easily support 800+ and, the fuel pump voltage is managed by the ecm and caps at 58 psi so, no matter what pump you stick in there you won't get more fuel.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You see it with the eyes of 1989.

The engine has more cai than it needs stock, the injectors are fine unless you go FI, the throttle body can easily support 800+ and, the fuel pump voltage is managed by the ecm and caps at 58 psi so, no matter what pump you stick in there you won't get more fuel.

Well said 👍🏻
Old 06-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I admit....I'm kind of lost on these new cars. I'm used to working on push rod motors.
I'm a bit confused on what to do with these motors to get more power other than Super or Turbo charging it. I guess I'll scratch those parts off my list since they wont do any good. Thanks for saving me some money. That's one reason I post on here before I buy the parts. But....what can I do to get a little more power than stock???
Will switching the gears to 4:10's help any as far as take off speed? I have no idea what gears are in it now.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

I admit....I'm kind of lost on these new cars. I'm used to working on push rod motors.
I'm a bit confused on what to do with these motors to get more power other than Super or Turbo charging it. I guess I'll scratch those parts off my list since they wont do any good. Thanks for saving me some money. That's one reason I post on here before I buy the parts. But....what can I do to get a little more power than stock???
Will switching the gears to 4:10's help any as far as take off speed? I have no idea what gears are in it now.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No to those gears ar well.

Is your car an auto or manual?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Auto (Unfortunately) I let the dealer talk me into it with the Paddle Shifter & I now wish I hadn't. It's not the "Best of Both Worlds" as they claim. Not when you're use to a stick.
I know they say an Auto is faster but there's nothing like popping the clutch & hammering the shifter when you're driving a sports car. Oh well, have to make the best of it now.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I should say...I'm not disappointed with the car itself. I love the car....I'd just love it more if it were a stick.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Auto (Unfortunately) I let the dealer talk me into it with the Paddle Shifter & I now wish I hadn't. It's not the "Best of Both Worlds" as they claim. Not when you're use to a stick.
I know they say an Auto is faster but there's nothing like popping the clutch & hammering the shifter when you're driving a sports car. Oh well, have to make the best of it now.

The gears for the auto are more than enough.

Probably wanna look into a converter

A good tune...I heard VMP is good for autos. I use Bama and they are OK.

O/R exhaust if you live in a state that's not strict. X or H it won't really make that much a performance differences between the two just sound preference

If you're gonna put headers on, without a doubt go with long tubes. (Kooks, American Racing)

Hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The dealer did you a favor by talking you into an auto. They can be fun especially with a GOOD tune. Then if you decide to do a converter watch out. The car turns into an animal.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Umm. you must be the only 2014 with paddle shifters stock...they didn't put them on automatics until 2015.

Start reading up on the various forums before you shell out any cash. There's a ton of info that'll save you a lot of money and avoid frustration with things that don't work.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about getting long tubes but will they work with a catted X-Pipe? Emissions here doesn't seem to care about the X=Pipe as long as it's catted. I've taken 3 Mustangs with catted X's through with no problem.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...6021-39054.jpg
This is called a Paddle Shifter isn't it ? All my paperwork says it's a 2014 GT Premium.
Got me ???
Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Is it worth the $300

You can actually buy a paddle shifter kit for your steering wheel. It's a wireless kit that snaps onto the wheel and taps into the wires in the console. That's probably the only way I'd own an automatic.

https://youtu.be/273Xq9mdcGE

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Menace11 View Post
The gears for the auto are more than enough.

Probably wanna look into a converter

A good tune...I heard VMP is good for autos. I use Bama and they are OK.

O/R exhaust if you live in a state that's not strict. X or H it won't really make that much a performance differences between the two just sound preference

If you're gonna put headers on, without a doubt go with long tubes. (Kooks, American Racing)

Hope this helps!
+1. Just a tune on these cars makes them much more enjoyable. Look at what is offered with whatever tuner you use (I would recommend VMP but there are others like Steeda...).
Most tuners will write a new tune for free if you buy the part requiring a tune through them. You need to buy a tune initially, but ask about later upgrades and tunes up front so you don't end up having to pay for a tune anytime you buy a part.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I'll just do the exhaust & CAI & get a Tune for now. Within a year I plan to Super charge it so I guess I need to ask for a tune for that up front ?
From what people are saying there's not a lot I can do to give my car a slight edge over other 14 Mustangs. I'm not sure I like that. There were so many things I could do to my sn95 to make it faster...but on this 2014....not much at all. I don't want the same power coming from my engine everyone else has. I want it faster. I'm not looking for the fastest Mustang out there....just more power than the completely stock 14's.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What are you talking about? There's tons you can do. A tune alone, with no other changes can easily net 20+. Full exhaust including headers with a tune will add 50+ horsepower, shifter improvements make the driving experience better, lighter wheels and tires improve handling, etc. etc.

The reason you could do so much with an SN95 is because so much needed to be done. It sucked so bad from the factory that you pretty much bought the car from Ford and then built the car you actually wanted. This car already has massive capability so little things aren't really needed that much.

You will need a custom tune when you supercharge so don't bother talking about it now with the tuner.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT