Trans or gear whine ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Trans or gear whine ?

Can someone explain to me the difference between Trans whine and gear whine ? I searched but could only find gear whine . 2012 gt with the mt-82 and 3.73 gears .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will hear gears whine in the rear. The trans will whine from the transmission.

Both have gears that can whine, and both have bearings that can and do go bad.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You will hear gears whine in the rear. The trans will whine from the transmission.

Both have gears that can whine, and both have bearings that can and do go bad.

I'm having a hard time determining where it's coming from. I wanna think it's the rear because 3.73's are known for the whine .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith129 View Post
I'm having a hard time determining where it's coming from. I wanna think it's the rear because 3.73's are known for the whine .

I have a whine and was told the same thing. However, in my experience a whine means a bad install.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You will most likely need to get the car on a lift or secure stands and listen for the source.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My trans whines a bit at lower acceleration, and changes with RPM. It quite obviously is coming from the trans. Still shifts fine though.
When I had rear diff whine because of my 3.73s it filled the whole cabin and was harder to isolate, and it became louder and slightly changed pitch with speed.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Make it easy on yourself: Go out on the highway, get the car into the speed range the whine is occurring and push the clutch in. If it goes away, it's trans and if it doesn't, it's the rear.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Make it easy on yourself: Go out on the highway, get the car into the speed range the whine is occurring and push the clutch in. If it goes away, it's trans and if it doesn't, it's the rear.

Ahh thank you !

Old 06-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
My trans whines a bit at lower acceleration, and changes with RPM. It quite obviously is coming from the trans. Still shifts fine though.
When I had rear diff whine because of my 3.73s it filled the whole cabin and was harder to isolate, and it became louder and slightly changed pitch with speed.
I have both of those issues, and it is driving me insane. I'm pretty sure I have the world's most noisy car.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I have both of those issues, and it is driving me insane. I'm pretty sure I have the world's most noisy car.

Mine does it big time when I downshift as I'm coming to a stop . I'm going to find out if it's rear end or trans based on the comments and go from there

Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Are those 3:73s stock or did some one put them in for you ? Rear gears shouldnt whine no matter what the ratio . When a rear is set up the pinion shim thickness has to be checked to make sure its correct size , if it not the rear will whine or some use the term sing . I got 4:30s in my cobra & 3:55s in my GT , both are quiet .
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The whine in my MT82 became noticible after switching to a thinner fluid Ford recommended to reduce the 'nibble' when cold. I plan to mix the two fluids to hopefully help both. My 3.73's are quiet
SVOGT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Be sure your not just hearing tire noise if you still have the Pirelli's that came on your 2012.
I was thinking I had a noise in the tranny or rear and found it to be tire noise on certain road surfaces. Silent on others surfaces.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR HORSE View Post
Are those 3:73s stock or did some one put them in for you ? Rear gears shouldnt whine no matter what the ratio . When a rear is set up the pinion shim thickness has to be checked to make sure its correct size , if it not the rear will whine or some use the term sing . I got 4:30s in my cobra & 3:55s in my GT , both are quiet .

They're the stock 3.73's from the factory . It is lowered so Im not sure if that would affect anything . I thought they should be quiet as well but I've heard numerous people on this forum talk about 3.73's whining . Not sure why they would be any different from other gears .

Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Assuming you still have the OE 2 piece driveshaft when you lowered your car did you check the pinion angle.
As was mentioned pushing the clutch is a good test to determine if the transmission is making the noise.
If you hear the noise just on deceleration at any or all speeds it's most likely the pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload.
Usually a whine on acceleration at any or all speeds is usually caused by a bad/worn ring and pinion or improper gear set-up.
It's very hard to make a diagnosis without pulling the cover and doing internal checking as the noise travels to the housing and axles....
Since the car has been lowered which springs did you use and are any of the other rear end components aftermarket like LCA's, UCA or pan hard bar?????
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Assuming you still have the OE 2 piece driveshaft when you lowered your car did you check the pinion angle.

As was mentioned pushing the clutch is a good test to determine if the transmission is making the noise.

If you hear the noise just on deceleration at any or all speeds it's most likely the pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload.

Usually a whine on acceleration at any or all speeds is usually caused by a bad/worn ring and pinion or improper gear set-up.

It's very hard to make a diagnosis without pulling the cover and doing internal checking as the noise travels to the housing and axles....

Since the car has been lowered which springs did you use and are any of the other rear end components aftermarket like LCA's, UCA or pan hard bar?????

I was actually going to pm you because I knew you were going to give a detailed answer . It also whines on acceleration . I have not checked the pinion angle along with lowering it on eibach sport lines . All the other components are stock which is probably not good .

Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I was actually going to pm you because I knew you were going to give a detailed answer . It also whines on acceleration . I have not checked the pinion angle along with lowering it on eibach sport lines . All the other components are stock which is probably not good .

So are you saying it whines on acceleration and deceleration????
Probably the first thing I would do is check the pinion angle! How long have you been driving it since the car was lowered?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So are you saying it whines on acceleration and deceleration????

Probably the first thing I would do is check the pinion angle! How long have you been driving it since the car was lowered?

I've been driving it lowered for about 30k now . Hopefully no damage was done

Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I've been driving it lowered for about 30k now . Hopefully no damage was done

My question would be did it whine in the begining????
When I lowered mine with the Sportlines the angle was off....part of the reason I went with the adjustable UCA and new BMR carrier bushing.....the carrier bushing on mine was toast at around 5k miles and the dealer said he would watch it every oil change and if it got worse he would replace it....I would check the angle first....IMHO
Old 06-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My question would be did it whine in the begining????

When I lowered mine with the Sportlines the angle was off....part of the reason I went with the adjustable UCA and new BMR carrier bushing.....the carrier bushing on mine was toast at around 5k miles and the dealer said he would watch it every oil change and if it got worse he would replace it....I would check the angle first....IMHO

I don't recall it whining before so that might be an issue . I'm definitely going to heck the carrier bushing as well. Thanks for the help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT