Roush 670 HP with auto trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Roush 670 HP with auto trans

OK, I'm new to this forum. I bought a new 2015 50th Anniversary GT last June and it now has a little over 5k on the clock. I just had an experienced Ford dealer install a Roush "Stage 3: 670 HP" blower on the car. It runs great, to say the least, but I'm still worried. All of the literature states that this blower can be installed on the '15 Mustang GT with the 6-speed auto trans. Of course everyone that I've talked to so far states that they know of several people who are installing these blowers on Mustangs with the 6 speed auto and the trans isn't blowing up. When I get into the boost much there's a noticeable smell, and it doesn't smell like tire rubber. I'm just hoping that I'm not setting myself up for a blown transmission in the near future. This car is street driven only, but I do use the available power on occasion. I'm reluctant to get the Roush warranty for a couple of reasons. Number one: I've been told that Roush is known for denying warranty claims on the basis of "abuse" even though they claim that their warranty will cover basically any and all trans and drivetrain failures. Number two: the paperwork for the warranty states that it's good for 3 years/36,000 miles from the vehicles in-service date as found on Ford's OASIS system, which of course would only give me 2 years and 31,000 miles of coverage. If Roush is going to honor their warranty as written, I'm tempted to pay the $995 just as insurance towards any potential transmission failure. I'm not really worried about other drivetrain parts since Roush has so many of these blowers in service that they seem to have it down to a science as to what the motor will handle. My questions to any and all concerned would come down to: Is this warranty really just an excuse for Roush to deny coverage based on "abuse" when I'm only using the horsepower that their parts made available? As I stated, I've been told that there are a fairly large number of these in service with the new 6-speed auto trans, but I have no way to verify of that's true or if these transmissions can handle the power put out by the Roush blower. Would I be better off just to put the grand in the bank and hold it to pay a part of the rebuild if this transmission turns into a 6-speed grenade? I'm sure that a rebuild or replacement trans would be very expensive, so I'm in a bit of a quandary here. I have a couple of weeks to make this decision since they put a 30-day limit on the warranty purchase. Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Roush "670 HP blower" with the 2015 6-speed auto trans? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
billy396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

By the way, the car (before the blower install) was stock except for a front K-member brace, Ford Motorsports by Borla "Touring" cat-back exhaust, Ford Motorsports strut tower brace (which I will now have to sell since it won't fit over the blower) and a JLT oil separator (which I don't know if I can still use). The oil separator had instructions to install it on the passenger side EGR pipe which worked perfectly and which accumulated a surprising amount of oil in just 5,000 miles which would have otherwise gunked up the inside of my new Coyote. I also wonder if I can install the oil separator on the driver's side EGR since that's the only place where it might fit now. Does anyone know if the oil separator will keep oil mist out of my new throttle body if I install it on the driver's side EGR tube? Please excuse all of the newbie questions. I had a '91 Fox body 5.0 LX which gave me 175,000 trouble-free miles and when I bought this new GT I traded in a low mileage modified 2006 GT with the 3-valve 4.6, JLT CAI, tune, 4.10 rear gears and a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports. Once I drove the 2015 model with that IRS I had to have it just to experience that handling upgrade, not to mention the upgrade from the 4.6 to a Coyote. It ran so well bone stock that I kind of surprised myself when I did the blower install, but you only live once and I won't be buying any more brand new cars so what the heck... Call it a mid-life crisis if that helps. Thanks for the great forum.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The auto is much stronger than the manual transmissions and can withstand a lot of abuse. You have nothing to worry about especially on the soft crappy Roush tune.

Also you posted this in the wrong section.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy396 View Post
a JLT oil separator (which I don't know if I can still use). The oil separator had instructions to install it on the passenger side EGR pipe which worked perfectly and which accumulated a surprising amount of oil in just 5,000 miles which would have otherwise gunked up the inside of my new Coyote. I also wonder if I can install the oil separator on the driver's side EGR since that's the only place where it might fit now. Does anyone know if the oil separator will keep oil mist out of my new throttle body if I install it on the driver's side EGR tube?
FWIW, JLT makes a kit you can order to modify their oil separator tubing to work with a TVS blower, and stay on the passenger side:
JLT Whipple/Roush Oil Separator Conversion kit [JLTOSPCK-FMGWIP-11] - $24.95 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

Pics on this thread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ercharger.html

It's a pretty easy modification that only takes a few minutes (requires cutting the tubing).
I took mine off my '13 GT when I traded it in on my '12 Stage 3, ordered the kit, and now have it installed on the passenger side like it was before. From what I've read, the passenger side is the place to have a catch can if you only have 1 as it collects the most oil. Many people recommend one on each side when you go FI, but I only have the 1 on the passenger side right now. If I decide to add an additional one I would probably buy one that can accommodate both sides into 1 collection reservoir so I wouldn't have 2 things to empty at each oil change.

Not sure on the smell you getting but on my '13 auto, it occasionally emitted a "sulfur" smell into the cabin after WOT that never went away, even after 36000 miles. Service guy said it was common in some cars. have never had that experience in my '12 or my buddies '16.
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Your talking to very misinformed people...
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here's a thought: Lots of people are running blowers on unmodified automatics out there and you don't see 1000 "blown 6R80" threads out there (unlike the manual trans), which should inspire confidence. **** sometimes happens, yes, but, it's extremely unlikely you'll pop the auto in a street driven car. Even if you did, the $1000 bucks you spend on warranty could go a good way to building an absolutely bulletproof auto with reinforced clutches, etc.

My car smells like it's working its tires hard all the time, and I am NA, other than the 100 nitrous shot I use at the track, and I'm not banzai blaster everywhere, just squirting around the city most of the time.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I don't think that there is any way -- with the short throttle blasts you are describing that you are overheating the trans enough to produce a smell.
Don't you have a trans temp gauge in the "gauge mode"? If you do, use that for a while and especially pay attention to the trans temp when you are jumping on it.
I do think that if I had that kind of HP with the A6, I might switch to a top of the line trans fluid. Redline is good stuff, and there are others made for higher temps and severe usage as well.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

670hp to GT 2011, 5 speed auto

Hi

Does anyone has install Roush Phase 3 670 hp package (or same powerline ) to GT 2011, 5 speed automatic. Now i got that phase 2 package 625 hp and wondering how to get easily more power to my pony.
Is there any problems that 5 speed auto can hod that additional some 50 hp power. I have driven with my car 63500 kilometers, its little less than 40 000 miles.

Also ive got even now bit smell after hard drive and it aint coming from tires.

Im rare than daily driver and doesnt race or anything that kind with my pony.

I understand that atleast it needs more heat recistance transmission oil than original? If so can anyone help what is the best brand on that?

BR

Jari Nykänen
Europe, Finland
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Jari,
Did Ford put a 5 speed automatic in the Mustang for export? I thought the 2011 was a 6 speed....at least here in the USA.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

finn 5 speed

Hi

Sorry, i mix up 5 and 6. Of course its 6 speed (ive got one BMW with zf 5 speed, one Nissan with 5 speed, Opel GM 6 speed and Land Rover 9 speed... lots of insurance costs...yak)

So questions still stands. Can you help me?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's the same 6 speed auto so all the advice here holds. You want more power, get a real tune from Vmp or lund and some headers and full exhaust on your blower car.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

The smell is the catalytic converters heating up, perfectly normal when you get on the fun pedal.
Big Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

Kind of a chalky smell...
Big Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #14

Region: Oregon
i had the same problem with oil getting into my throttle body as well after installing my m90 roush charger. i put the oil separator on the passenger side and didn't catch a thing installed on the drivers side and i'm catching every thing now. just my to cents in there to help you out. my oil was coming from the drivers side only. i had to get the oil separator and make my own fittings out of 3/8 air hose adapters. it works great now .
General Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
I seem to be missing lines here that I would be able to read between. Could you elaborate further?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
As I stated, I've been told that there are a fairly large number of these in service with the new 6-speed auto trans, but I have no way to verify of that's true or if these transmissions can handle the power put out by the Roush blower. Would I be better off just to put the grand in the bank and hold it to pay a part of the rebuild if this transmission turns into a 6-speed grenade? I'm sure that a rebuild or replacement trans would be very expensive, so I'm in a bit of a quandary here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Quote:
I seem to be missing lines here that I would be able to read between. Could you elaborate further?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
The 6R80 is a very tough tranz. Would'nt worry about hurting it. There are after market companies that are working on free standing controlers because so many people want to install the 6R80's in street rods and race cars.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That's odd, I had paid Ford to install my Roush SC on my 2012 manual because it was then covered by the 3yr/36k warranty. Could've installed myself but I wanted the warranty. Same as op, warranty was from in service date so I only had 2yrs really, but figured I would find anything wrong within two years. As stated, the Roush tune (at least in my experience) was subdued. Just a custom tune will make the car more fun to drive!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #19

Region: Oregon
i'm sorry. yes, i was talking about the problem you had with oil getting into your throttle body. with my roush m90 supercharger, i thought for sure the oil was coming in through the passenger side pcv tube straight into the intake . so i installed a jtl oil separator on that line and didn't catch any oil. so i found the drivers side pcv hose and installed the separator on that one. and with my car, thats where the oil was burping up into the throttle body. hope that helps
General Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The auto is much stronger than the manual transmissions and can withstand a lot of abuse. You have nothing to worry about especially on the soft crappy Roush tune.

Also you posted this in the wrong section.
VMP tune should do him right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #21

Sorry for the delayed response but I did get the adapter kit from JLT and the oil separator works fine with the Roush blower. Thanks very much for the info.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
VMP tune should do him right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
+1
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT