Need an opinion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Need an opinion

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new intake manifold for my 2013 GT. The one I like is the Cobra Jet intake kit with a CAI. Obviously would need a tune. I am curious to see if anyone has experience with these intakes, or the BOSS 302 intake for that matter. I have no other mods other than Roush axle backs.

Thanks for your help!
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What are your goals? These manifolds are wasted on anyone not intending to spin this thing well in the high 7s or more.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Boss - 7600rpm
CJ - 8100rpm

Anything below 7000rpm will make either manifold pointless and in fact a worse off mod.

But to answer your question I have the Boss and I do spin it to 7500-7600 and it's better off in a WOT all out race. Where the stock manifold starts to have a decreasing power band the Boss manifold has a power band that keeps increasing and levels off instead of dropping.

This adds useable power above 6800 all the way to 7600 and gives you additional acceleration under peak power.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
It would more beneficial to go full exhaust, than intake manifold.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Need an opinion

Different powerband design. Full exhaust from LT headers, cat delete off road exhaust will net maybe 28+\- whp but will still choke for power above 6800rpm.

Depending on other setup such as gearing and tire height, having a powerband that makes power all the way to 7600rpm is going to put you in the power band of the race longer. That and you will be able to hold gear longer while in power band.

My 3.73 gears and 27.4" tires puts my 4th gear topping out at 123mph whereas a 7000rpm redline will put me at like 113-114mph when I need 117-118mph at trap speed.

Reason I say 7000rpm redline on stock mani is because you see a drop in power beginning at 6800rpm ending with a drop of 30-40whp from peak power by 7600rpm. So the longer you stay in gear above 7000rpm the slower you actually accelerate compared to shifting to the next gear.

Stock mani is certainly fine but if you're going 10/10 driving then honestly the upgrade manifold works better.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Usually you want to do the intake manifold after exhaust. The CJ manifold is great, but it works best with headers. And there's a pretty good chance you'll need to upgrade your clutch to shift properly at the RPM required to fully take advantage of it.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
What are your goals? These manifolds are wasted on anyone not intending to spin this thing well in the high 7s or more.
I intend on taking the car to the drag strip on occasion. I really want to get the most out of this car without diving into a super charger, turbo, ect. I know out of the box these cars don't leave much to improve on, but I would really like to eclipse the 400 rwhp mark. In my application, would going for a CAI and tune be more what I'm looking for?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

I guess I should have specified that I have and Automatic, if this helps.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Different powerband design. Full exhaust from LT headers, cat delete off road exhaust will net maybe 28+\- whp but will still choke for power above 6800rpm.

Depending on other setup such as gearing and tire height, having a powerband that makes power all the way to 7600rpm is going to put you in the power band of the race longer. That and you will be able to hold gear longer while in power band.

My 3.73 gears and 27.4" tires puts my 4th gear topping out at 123mph whereas a 7000rpm redline will put me at like 113-114mph when I need 117-118mph at trap speed.

Reason I say 7000rpm redline on stock mani is because you see a drop in power beginning at 6800rpm ending with a drop of 30-40whp from peak power by 7600rpm. So the longer you stay in gear above 7000rpm the slower you actually accelerate compared to shifting to the next gear.

Stock mani is certainly fine but if you're going 10/10 driving then honestly the upgrade manifold works better.

So it sounds like I should focus on upgrading the full exhaust and then consider an aftermarket manifold to really get the full use out of it. It makes sense, there seems to be no point in letting in additional air if it only gets bottlenecked by the exhaust.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Need an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish88 View Post
So it sounds like I should focus on upgrading the full exhaust and then consider an aftermarket manifold to really get the full use out of it. It makes sense, there seems to be no point in letting in additional air if it only gets bottlenecked by the exhaust.

You'll still likely see some peak gains with just a manifold mod although you are correct about the exhaust side first. But like I said the manifold is an awesome mod for if you want to redline at 7600rpm.

With the full intake to exhaust mod you'll reach 415-425whp. But get your suspension worked on first. You're gonna need to put that power down efficiently or else you're gonna burn through first and second gear no problem.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I guess I should have specified that I have and Automatic, if this helps.
Then you shouldn't be looking at a manifold with the stock converter.

And honestly the converter will make the biggest difference.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've done both the intake (boss) and full exhaust (long tubes with O/R x pipe). I can tell you that you don't feel much of a difference in regular driving with just the intake but the exhaust combined with it definitely made a difference even in normal driving. Like everyone else said, the intake really picks up at high rpm. And if you go with long tubes with your roush axle backs, it will be loud. Trust me on that because that's my set up as well.
J Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Picked up a few MPGs too!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #14

I think eventually that's what ill end up doing. What kind of tune do you use?

Sent from my LG-K330 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think eventually that's what ill end up doing. What kind of tune do you use?

Right now I'm running a Bama 93 race tune. I'm planning on getting it in for a custom dyno tune soon because I really don't feel like I'm getting everything out of this tune and I'm having a couple minor issues with it every once in a while. It works fine I just don't like the occasional CEL for no detectable reason that can be cleared and won't come back afterwards. Some people don't have any problems with it so it's probably just a specific issue with mine.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There is a new intake manifold coming out by Edelbrock called the Victor ii coyote. You might want to wait for it to come out and see if it has a better power band then the Boss. I want a manifold also but don't want to wind my motor that high to get the power. Look up the victor ii coyote
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
There is a new intake manifold coming out by Edelbrock called the Victor ii coyote. You might want to wait for it to come out and see if it has a better power band then the Boss. I want a manifold also but don't want to wind my motor that high to get the power. Look up the victor ii coyote
I just checked that out. Seems promising but it looks like we'll have to wait until the summer to find out for sure. IMO you might be sacrificing top end power for low end power since it's shorter which is what you're probably looking for. One website also had it listed for $1,000 which is way more than a boss. But it's also aluminum so it's stronger and heavier and also comes with nitrous ports and you won't have to get an aftermarket strut brace.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

I was considering Bama as well, ill have to do more research.

And Grabber, ill definitely check out the victor. If the manifolds gain the most power up around 7k but don't harm anything during normal driving conditions, it would definitely help when I'm on the strip. I just don't want the mod to cause harm for no good reason.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The victor coyote intake is on www.Brothersperformance.com for 999$ but I think that is a pre order price and not the final price once its out. The site use to say "coming soon in spring", now it says "coming soon this summer". Not sure what's holding it up.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I read somewhere else that the release has been getting set back since it was first shown in 2015. There's no telling when it will come out. They might be working out bugs still

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT