Catching traction - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Catching traction

I have a 2014 m6 5.0 with 3.73s and am having issues catching traction! Could anyone suggest anything I else I need in order to catch traction better off the line. Right now the car makes around 420whp and little less torque. The suspension mods are Koni yellow shocks and struts, maximum motorsport lowering Springs, maximum motorsport caster camber plates. I am running 255/35/19 in the front and 275/35/19 in the rear, all are Michelin pilot super sports with good thread life. It'll spin through 1st and second and hook in third, and I don't track the car so the surfaces are street roads. I'm not launching the car, I'll get it rolling then smash but it'll break loose, I try easing into it but then it just accelerates slow. Thanks for any help.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Catching traction

Upper and lower control arms will help you drastically, since you are lowered also get relocation brackets
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Make sure that your rear tire pressure is not too high. For your weight, I would aim at about 32-34 psi cold (maybe lower since you don't care about cornering response).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Set the rear koni to a softer setting while the front to a slightly stiffer setting to allow the rear to squat on launch. This will also help in corners but don't set the front too stiff or else you'll push instead of digging.

Lower control arms and relocation brackets will help your suspension geometry. You need the lower control arm to be parallel to the ground. The upper control arm will also increase your stability because the stock bushings are soft elastic rubber bands and under hard corner and acceleration it will allow your suspension to move around considerably. Not good for acceleration and definitely not good for wheel hops on corners and uneven surfaces.

Lastly, you want straight line grip buy drag radials. You won't be able to turn very well in them but they will grab like super glue. If you want all around performance then you need fatter tires than 275. You're gonna need to bump up to 305 on 11" wheels or 295 on 10.5". You can technically go 305 on 10" wheels but there's gonna be a little bowing. You can compensate by running a slightly lower psi to flatten out the tires but if you do that you lose the sidewall rigidity on turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Set the rear koni to a softer setting while the front to a slightly stiffer setting to allow the rear to squat on launch. This will also help in corners but don't set the front too stiff or else you'll push instead of digging.

Lower control arms and relocation brackets will help your suspension geometry. You need the lower control arm to be parallel to the ground. The upper control arm will also increase your stability because the stock bushings are soft elastic rubber bands and under hard corner and acceleration it will allow your suspension to move around considerably. Not good for acceleration and definitely not good for wheel hops on corners and uneven surfaces.

Lastly, you want straight line grip buy drag radials. You won't be able to turn very well in them but they will grab like super glue. If you want all around performance then you need fatter tires than 275. You're gonna need to bump up to 305 on 11" wheels or 295 on 10.5". You can technically go 305 on 10" wheels but there's gonna be a little bowing. You can compensate by running a slightly lower psi to flatten out the tires but if you do that you lose the sidewall rigidity on turns.

I am going to be looking into the upper and lower control arms. There was a lot of useful information thank you! I did not know about making the rear softer then the front so I will definitely play with that.

Drag radials aren't an option since I daily this car and I like to take it through the twisties often. I like corning fast then going straight fast.

I just got my PSS and have brembo rims so I couldn't fit anything wider but If i can save up for new rims then I will definitely put some 305's in the rear.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Depending on your front springs I would not stiffen your dampers too much if at all. But for better traction as mentioned upper and lower control arms and a wider tire are going to be the quickest and easiest things to do. If you are running street tires there is not a lot of traction to be had from them. Unless you go for a high performance soft compound street/sport tire.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
I am going to be looking into the upper and lower control arms. There was a lot of useful information thank you! I did not know about making the rear softer then the front so I will definitely play with that.

Drag radials aren't an option since I daily this car and I like to take it through the twisties often. I like corning fast then going straight fast.

I just got my PSS and have brembo rims so I couldn't fit anything wider but If i can save up for new rims then I will definitely put some 305's in the rear.

Glad I can offer some help. Keep in mind when buying wheels that the most important thing is to find the right offset. For an 11" you need about a +50-52mm but confirm with the dealer before taking my word for it. I have a 10" rim and the offset is like +48mm I think and when I run larger tires it will rub. I had to roll the fenders a bit to fit the 305. So if you want the 305 to fit flush without rubbing I think +52mm would work. But like I said confirm.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have always wondered what the offsets were, that explains it lol. I will make sure i confirm which offset i need before I buy the rims but that won't be for a while.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad I can offer some help. Keep in mind when buying wheels that the most important thing is to find the right offset. For an 11" you need about a +50-52mm but confirm with the dealer before taking my word for it. I have a 10" rim and the offset is like +48mm I think and when I run larger tires it will rub. I had to roll the fenders a bit to fit the 305. So if you want the 305 to fit flush without rubbing I think +52mm would work. But like I said confirm.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Next time you get rear tires go with 275/40, the taller tire will reduce your effective gear ratio a bit and also provide a longer contact patch. Win-win for grip. Your 275/35s are actually slightly increasing your gear ratio and making it harder to grip.
Also, why would you stagger your tire sizes if you're running the same wheels front and back?
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't want to put too big of a tire in the front. I hear staggered tire will give you better handling. Don't know if it's true but I went with it! Next time I will get 40 all around then, the last tires I had 255/40/19 stock perellis in the front and 285/40/19 continental sportcontact in the rear and the rear sat higher then the front and I wasn't fond of the nose dive look. The rear sits evenly with the front now.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Staggered tires give you WORSE handling. You are purposely adding less grip to the front. I ran 275/40 in front and back and it was perfect (on a wider wheel though). Helped fill the wheel wells in, handled great, and sat nice and even (no rake/nose dive look).

Ideally with the stock brembo wheels you should be running 265/40 max, but 275s will fit and lose a couple mm of contact.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well my next setup is going to be a 305 in the rear which should stop the spinning and 275 in the front since. Going to be hard finding an 11" wide wheel for the rear since majority of the ones I like are 10". I doubt you can fit anything wider then 275 in the front
Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well my next setup is going to be a 305 in the rear which should stop the spinning and 275 in the front since. Going to be hard finding an 11" wide wheel for the rear since majority of the ones I like are 10". I doubt you can fit anything wider then 275 in the front
You can fit 305s in the front! But it is not practical for street use by any means.
I am running 285/35r19 front and back on 10" wide wheels. Awesome setup for handling, but you have to choose your wheels and offsets carefully.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT