SCT Tuner + Tunes for Life (Need to Pay Another $150?) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
SCT Tuner + Tunes for Life (Need to Pay Another $150?)

Hey guys,

Had a 2007 V6 a year or so back however I've since upgraded to a 2014 GT.

I returned the V6 to stock before so the tuner I have is unlocked.

When I bought the tuner I paid $300+ and it included the typical "Tunes for Life" from AM + Bama.

Now I asked for tunes for my 2014 GT and they say I have to buy new tunes @ $150?

For canned tunes which I already paid for (in the $300+), it's a bit of a rip off isnt it? Has anyone found a way around this apart from selling the unlocked tuner and buying another tuner / tune package from AM?

Feeling eerily similar to what Gilette does with its blades and/or HP does with the printer inks.
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
SCT Tuner + Tunes for Life (Need to Pay Another $150?)

No, how is it a rip off?

You paid for tunes for a 2007 4.0 V6, not for a 2014 5.0 V8.

Congrats on the 5.0 btw, must feel like a beast after driving the sixxer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yeah the tunes for life applies to the car, not the tuning device. I'd sell the old SCT and grab an NGage
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
Hey guys,

Had a 2007 V6 a year or so back however I've since upgraded to a 2014 GT.

I returned the V6 to stock before so the tuner I have is unlocked.

When I bought the tuner I paid $300+ and it included the typical "Tunes for Life" from AM + Bama.

Now I asked for tunes for my 2014 GT and they say I have to buy new tunes @ $150?

For canned tunes which I already paid for (in the $300+), it's a bit of a rip off isnt it? Has anyone found a way around this apart from selling the unlocked tuner and buying another tuner / tune package from AM?

Feeling eerily similar to what Gilette does with its blades and/or HP does with the printer inks.
I feel your pain. When I bought my car it was married to a Bama / SCT tuner. I bought the car and tuner as a package. I have every not of paperwork, including the original shipping label. As I see it the tunes for life should continue with the car it was originally married to. AM says I need to spend $150 to enroll in the program.

I am seriously considering changing tuners that use SCT and having them reflash everything. If I have to pay I may as well give something else a try.

Right now I am using the SCT as a data logger, so it is serving a purpose.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Yeah the tunes for life applies to the car, not the tuning device. I'd sell the old SCT and grab an NGage
I tried that argument with AM and was told that I needed to purchase a tunes for life. My tuner is married to the car. I bought it all together. If the tunes for life applies to the car I should be good to go. From my understanding this is not the case.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I tried that argument with AM and was told that I needed to purchase a tunes for life. My tuner is married to the car. I bought it all together. If the tunes for life applies to the car I should be good to go. From my understanding this is not the case.

I should clarify, tunes for life applies to one car and one owner. If the car is sold the tunes for life ends, whether the tuner device is sold with the car or not.
It is unreasonable to expect a tuning company to transfer a lifetime service to another person or another vehicle, they would never make money that way.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tunes for the life of the owner with that car, why would they do it otherwise?

None of the professionals give out tunes for free.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
I should clarify, tunes for life applies to one car and one owner. If the car is sold the tunes for life ends, whether the tuner device is sold with the car or not.
It is unreasonable to expect a tuning company to transfer a lifetime service to another person or another vehicle, they would never make money that way.
I will only say that the product has already been purchased. Buying it again makes no sense. The company has already made money, and with better customer service they would make more.

I am going to have to agree to disagree with you here. I respect you view, and I see both sides of the situation.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will only say that the product has already been purchased. Buying it again makes no sense. The company has already made money, and with better customer service they would make more.

I am going to have to agree to disagree with you here. I respect you view, and I see both sides of the situation.

In this case you are wrong though. The only "product" that has been purchase is the SCT device, which you have and which still functions correctly.
The tuning is a "service contract", if you will, which additional terms would apply to. In this case, the "contract" is married to one car and one owner, if either changes, the contract no longer applies. I'm not going to go find it for you, but I'm sure it's all plainly stated somewhere on the website.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Typical, everyone wants something for free.

Read the fine print before you buy and/or complain.

150 to re-enroll in a tunes for life program is chump change.

Why do you think a used tuner sells for dick squat? Because if you bought it a few years ago it's outdated and a guy would have to pay for the new tunes.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Not for free Oxford. I bought a car with a married tuner. The OP purchased a tuner and paid for the tunes. The tunes have been paid for in my opinion. Again, I see both sides. I am not complaining. I'm not pressuring anyone. I just made a statement to let my opinion be known. Steeda and Bama both have the same guidelines. I don't agree with their policy, but I repect their choice to do business in the manner they see fit.

As for $150 being chump change; I have to disagree with you today. I would love to have a little chump change sitting around to be spent. I will gladly let you purchase the tunes for life on my behalf. I feel that my tunes need an update (Joking, I don't want anyone's money)

A few years back I would have never thought twice about spending a few hundred bucks. I have no idea how much money was put in rear tires alone on the drag bike. Careers changed. Life changed. A lot of things went bad. That is life, and in life we all go through hard times at some point. So I am cautious with my chump change these days. In sure at some point I will have change to lose in my pockets again.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
So let me get this straight.

You are of the belief that you should pay 150 dollars ONCE in your life, and a tuner should stand by his phone and or computer waiting for your request to tune your next vehicle? They should figure out how to write a performance tune and crack the computer for every car you buy from here on out. AND according to your statement earlier, they should learn better customer service "because they will get more business that way".

HOW exactly would they get more business if they never sell another tune contract again?

This thread went from ridiculous to certified bat s h I t crazy.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said before, I can argue the debate on both sides.
You are not making a bad argument. In fact, I can support your argument.

On the flip side of things I feel that once a programmer and service has been purchased, if that programmer remains married to a particular vehicle or customer that things should be transferable. This is how I would do business. I am not particularly criticizing the practices Bama, Steeda, etc adhere to, I just see another view.

How would retailers make money by giving away an email tune? Bear with me while I give my logic, or opinion rather.
If I was selling performance parts and someone had proof they had a programmer and tunes that was purchased from me (original owner or programmer purchased with a tuned vehicle) I would take the risk of transferring the tuning commitment. Why would I do this? That particular service has already been purchased. No one is sitting idly by waiting to write tunes. As a general rule generic canned tune parameters are already dyno tested and saved onto a server. It requires minimal effort to select O/R midpipe, flowmaster 44 catback, 93 octane timing, and so forth.

Granted, someone must be paid to set up the file and email it. Again, that service was previously paid for if you consider the option of a transfer.

So, how would this translate into a profit for the original seller of the programmer and tuning contract? As a customer if you see that a company is going above and beyond, without the appearance of just making easy money, that customer is more likely to buy more parts from you. If there is a programmer already in your hands, and you have the ability to freely use the equipment, you now have more money to spend on other products that will require the use of the programmer. You build a relationship with a customer that becomes a repeat buyer out of respect.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I raced with a few guys that I helped on a regular basis. I tunes their bikes and mine. At the track I would actually look at their data logs and help them make adjustments to compensate for different track conditions. I never charged a dime. In return these guys helped me. If I still had my software I would continue to tune a few bikes. Sadly when I sold my racing set up, I sold everything. I let the trailer, bike, spare parts, laptop - everything - go. I raced for years and finally won my class in the AMA Drag bike series. In all of those years I did not crash, and I decided to stop playing the odds. Bouncing and rolling off the ground at close to 200mph doesn't feel good according to the guys I know that have crashed.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hopefully the tuners and retailers here are not offended by my opinion. I certainly mean no disrespect. As I have already stated, this is my opinion. I hold a different view.

I'm pretty sure I will end up paying someone $150 when I begin modifying engine parts. It will either be that, or a full software program.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Look, SCT charges $150 to unlock a locked tuner, for example. Tuners make money by selling tunes to customers. The whole tunes for life is like an extended warranty at an electronics store. It's a sales tactic to make you buy the initial product and service. Most never use the service and when you try you find there are a bunch of exclusions for anything meaningful, like nitrous, turbo or SC.

Almost every decent tuning company will give you tune revisions for small stuff like O/R exhaust for free. Choose the tuner you think best meets the needs and goals you have. What's the use of tunes for life if the tune is ****?

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be right back, I'm letting Windows know to upgrade me to 10 for free since all there is to it is a serial number key for activation.

It requires minimal effort to send me an email with a series of 25 digits, do you see the flaw in your argument?

You're paying for the software, R&D that went into tuning, and their skill set. Not a single tuner will tune any car you bring them after paying for a different model.

Just because you decided to tune for free, you expect everyone else to as well?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Region: North Carolina
$150, hmmm, sounds a lot cheaper than buying a new tuner! I have done the same thing and looks like I will be paying the 150. Have a tuner for an '07 V6 and just purchased an '15 V6.
HorseFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I see the flaw in the ten billion people, jncluding me that use hacked copies of proprietary software that someone paid for and expect they can just do that. It's wrong but....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tunes for Life is not transferable , yes its for the car but its also for the owner , when 1 or the other changes the service ends , thats not unreasonable . $150 is still better than buying another tuner ,
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Look, SCT charges $150 to unlock a locked tuner, for example. Tuners make money by selling tunes to customers. The whole tunes for life is like an extended warranty at an electronics store. It's a sales tactic to make you buy the initial product and service. Most never use the service and when you try you find there are a bunch of exclusions for anything meaningful, like nitrous, turbo or SC.

Almost every decent tuning company will give you tune revisions for small stuff like O/R exhaust for free. Choose the tuner you think best meets the needs and goals you have. What's the use of tunes for life if the tune is ****?
Someone gets it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseFord View Post
$150, hmmm, sounds a lot cheaper than buying a new tuner! I have done the same thing and looks like I will be paying the 150. Have a tuner for an '07 V6 and just purchased an '15 V6.
Unless it's an X4 it won't work on your 15.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I got a nitrous tune from BAMA , Works well
Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's great but Bama caps you at 100 shot, which a cross-eyed baby could tune. I'd choose someone with the capacity to tune the more difficult higher shots, even if I was staying at 100, which I am.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Wait, damn. So it's $150 to unlock a married tuner and then another $150 (seperately company I know) for the enrollment of another " Tune for Life? Altogether $300 is quite a bit. However I will say that a tune is a much better mod than most the exhaust and intakes out there.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Wait, damn. So it's $150 to unlock a married tuner and then another $150 (seperately company I know) for the enrollment of another " Tune for Life? Altogether $300 is quite a bit. However I will say that a tune is a much better mod than most the exhaust and intakes out there.
Now you're catching on to what I have been hinting at.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well for me all the datalogs and tuning I did on my 3.7 was worth the first round of $500. Now with the 5.0, I can see spending $300 for essentially the same thing. Which sucks cause my tuner is married to my V6 that's been traded in. I couldn't return it to stock because the stock tune was set up for 2.73 gears and I had 3.31s installed. They wouldn't have been able to sell it otherwise.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So who's at fault for procuring a locked tuner? Not SCT.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Well for me all the datalogs and tuning I did on my 3.7 was worth the first round of $500. Now with the 5.0, I can see spending $300 for essentially the same thing. Which ducks cause my tuner is married to my V6 that's been traded in. I couldn't return it to stock because the stock tune was set up for 2.73 gears and I had 3.31s installed. They wouldn't have been able to sell it otherwise.
5.0?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Tunes for life apply to the tuner and car type when it was first purchased.

Like anything else you purchase, unless it has a "transferable" clause written into the paperwork, you buy again when the end product changes.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
5.0?
Coyote V8?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
5.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Coyote V8?

I think he is refering to me with a 5.0. And yes, happened 2 weeks ago. Pulled the trigger on a 2012 GT/CS.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

must find Ban Hammer.

congrats on the upgrade.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think he is refering to me with a 5.0. And yes, happened 2 weeks ago. Pulled the trigger on a 2012 GT/CS.
But where are the pics?

Quote:
must find Ban Hammer.

congrats on the upgrade.
I thought you had a long night when you asked ha.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

yes Hoser it is great but youre wrong , They gave me a 150 HP Shot tune , would of went higher but with cams & 150 shot Im over what a stock block can take" A"
Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I guess it's good to hear they upped their game. For years they choked customers at 100. Still wouldn't pick them for this application, over a jms, bbr, lund, or others that have demonstrated more excellence here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT