Steering wheel shimmy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Steering wheel shimmy

I recently put on 20X8.5 and 20X10 AMR wheels on my 2014 5.0 wrapped in 255/35/20 MT Street Comps up front and 305/35/20 MT comps in the rear, they look great, a huge improvement in traction, but I have one issue, there is a steering wheel shimmy around 40-70 MPH and the faster I go the worse it gets. American Muscle already sent me a set of replacement tires for the front because Ford said the first 2 front tires I got both had a high spot in them, however after replacing them the shimmy did not go away, I've had it balanced 3 times and aligned 2 times since I got the new wheels on, its starting to become a major headache, any idea's what could be causing the problem? Maybe the front two wheels are defective? Car has like 29000 miles if that makes any difference and did not have the steering wheel shimmy with the stock wheels. All help is appreciated
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Are the wheels torqued down? Were they balanced?
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post
Are the wheels torqued down? Were they balanced?
Yes and Yes, balanced 3 times and the shimmy is still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #4

Region: Ohio
Just gonna throw this out there. I would check to make sure the new rims fit tight on the hubs. Sometimes you have to use hub centering rings to make the rims fit tight. I bought some TSW rims and the rings came with the rims. Didn't use them at first, but had a vibration, and the lugs wouldn't stay torqued down. I took the rims off, and put in the rings, and that took care of the problem.
skateboardtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^ what taz said. You could also ask them to replace the wheels and see if that's causing your problem. Everything was balanced and aligned. Now check if it's sitting well if not hit up AM and let them know I'm sure they will help you their customer service is second to none.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Steering wheel shimmy

Did you remove the brake rotor retaining clips on each wheel. Factory wheels have a counter bore that the clips sit in but aftermarket wheels do not. This causes the wheel to not sit perfectly flat on the rotor. The only purpose of these clips was as an assy aid at the factory to keep the rotors in place as the car rolled down the assy line with no wheels. There is one clip on one stud on each rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

What Rob said...they look like star washers on the wheel lugs.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'll try the hub centering rings, however Rob I'm not sure. I had to have the TPMS sensors transferred from the old wheels so I had Ford transfer them and re mount and balance the new wheels. However these are pretty common wheels and I haven't heard many issues with them, most people just take off the stock wheels and put these on with no problem. However maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't heard about many problems with these wheels. I have contacted American Muscle multiple times however they are being very slow and vague with helping me out.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardtaz View Post
Just gonna throw this out there. I would check to make sure the new rims fit tight on the hubs. Sometimes you have to use hub centering rings to make the rims fit tight. I bought some TSW rims and the rings came with the rims. Didn't use them at first, but had a vibration, and the lugs wouldn't stay torqued down. I took the rims off, and put in the rings, and that took care of the problem.
Come to think of it though I'm not sure what size rings to get for these wheels
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

did you remove the rings?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
did you remove the rings?
I have no clue, like I said I had dropped the car off at Ford to put the new wheels on because the TPMS needed to be transferred.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tire Kingdom performance did a set of wheels for me in the past and measured the gap between the hub and the rim and I custom ordered rings offline. If that's your issue it is an easy fix. As others have said check for the retaining clips. Also ask how the wheels are being balanced as there are a couple ways of having it done.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Tire Kingdom performance did a set of wheels for me in the past and measured the gap between the hub and the rim and I custom ordered rings offline. If that's your issue it is an easy fix. As others have said check for the retaining clips. Also ask how the wheels are being balanced as there are a couple ways of having it done.
Ford tried balancing them in a couple different ways they said, they then told me that the first set of tires I had both had high spots in them. However I am stopping by Ford today after work to have them check for the retaining clips, just called American Muscle and they told me the same thing so I'm going to swing by the dealership to have them check quickly. Hopefully that's the issue and can be resolved today.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Steering wheel shimmy

Good luck hopefully that's the issue. Every time I do aftermarket wheels it usually takes a couple trips back to get everything balanced just right. Just my luck I guess.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It was indeed the retainer clips. Steering wheel shimmy is gone, thank you all for the feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT