Looking for a deeper throatier exhaust note - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Looking for a deeper throatier exhaust note

I have Roush axle backs and a high flow catted h pipe and although I like the way it sounds it is very loud and don't want my neighbors to complain even though they never have before and I've had an exhaust on my car for more than 2 years now, but if I do switch axle backs I want something that's just a little quieter under 3K RPMS and have a deeper throatier exhaust note all the way through the RPM range. Although I don't want something that quiet either. If the Roush with the high flow cat h pipe is a 9/10 I want maybe a 7 or 8/10 on volume, I've seen a lot of people do GT500s but I've heard them in person and they're way too quiet. I'm considering MBRP Race exhaust, Bassani Street Race axle backs, Borla S types, Ford Racing Sports, and Kooks. The 2 I am most interested in is the Bassani and S types, although I just think the Bassani may be a little too quiet for me but I have never heard them in person. I know a bunch of people post exhaust threads and yes I have already researched them and couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for. If you're just gona complain on here that I started an exhaust thread just save yourself the time. However if you have some helpful feedback and insight please let me know.
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Is there a Mustang tuner shop or custom exhaust place near you? You might ask either of those what exhausts they have installed on customer's cars, ask if they might contact their customer(s) and give them your contact information........if you can listen live to an exhaust on a car exactly like yours, I agree, it will give you a lot better idea than all of the YouTube videos of Mustang exhausts that are all over the place on quality.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
I have Roush axle backs and a high flow catted h pipe and although I like the way it sounds it is very loud and don't want my neighbors to complain even though they never have before and I've had an exhaust on my car for more than 2 years now, but if I do switch axle backs I want something that's just a little quieter under 3K RPMS and have a deeper throatier exhaust note all the way through the RPM range. Although I don't want something that quiet either. If the Roush with the high flow cat h pipe is a 9/10 I want maybe a 7 or 8/10 on volume, I've seen a lot of people do GT500s but I've heard them in person and they're way too quiet. I'm considering MBRP Race exhaust, Bassani Street Race axle backs, Borla S types, Ford Racing Sports, and Kooks. The 2 I am most interested in is the Bassani and S types, although I just think the Bassani may be a little too quiet for me but I have never heard them in person. I know a bunch of people post exhaust threads and yes I have already researched them and couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for. If you're just gona complain on here that I started an exhaust thread just save yourself the time. However if you have some helpful feedback and insight please let me know.

I have borla s type with a lethal performance o/r h pipe. To me it is a hair to loud. I am looking to sell my s type and go with either borla touring or ford racing touring which is made by borla. I never heard bassani but the borla do sound awesome.
buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyrich14 View Post
I have borla s type with a lethal performance o/r h pipe. To me it is a hair to loud. I am looking to sell my s type and go with either borla touring or ford racing touring which is made by borla. I never heard bassani but the borla do sound awesome.
I think I'm gona buy a set of borla s types, if you're selling yours I may be interested in buying
Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I hate to part with them but I want to make it a little more quiet. Pm me if interested. Ford racing also has good exhaust
buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
S types sound great but they are still loud with an offroad H. Maybe try some gt500 axlebacks or borla touring
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
S types sound great but they are still loud with an offroad H. Maybe try some gt500 axlebacks or borla touring
I said in the description GT500s are way too quiet and so are tourings, I know the description is long understandable if you didn't read the whole thing. I'm not looking for something quiet, just 1 notch lower than roush, still want it to scream at WOT and be heard from a decent ways away when I want to be. Just need something a little quieter under 3K RPMs, thats my only issue with the Roush. It just always sounds like a monster whether or not you're on the gas. Based on what I've heard the S types are probably what I'm looking for, something a little quieter than the Roush but still pretty loud when you go WOT, but again I don't want something quiet, just slightly quieter and deeper than Roush
Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I said in the description GT500s are way too quiet and so are tourings, I know the description is long understandable if you didn't read the whole thing. I'm not looking for something quiet, just 1 notch lower than roush, still want it to scream at WOT and be heard from a decent ways away when I want to be. Just need something a little quieter under 3K RPMs, thats my only issue with the Roush. It just always sounds like a monster whether or not you're on the gas. Based on what I've heard the S types are probably what I'm looking for, something a little quieter than the Roush but still pretty loud when you go WOT, but again I don't want something quiet, just slightly quieter and deeper than Roush
Ah ok, i just thought you wanted something quieter. I admit I didn't read the whole thing, sorry :p

Yes sounds like s-types are just what you want.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah ok, i just thought you wanted something quieter. I admit I didn't read the whole thing, sorry :p

Yes sounds like s-types are just what you want.
It's all good man no worries haha... I think they are what I'm looking for that or Bassani. Going to a car meet this weekend hopefully I can find some other 5.0s with both which will help me decide
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have Borla S-Types with offroad H pipe. It's probably quite a bit louder than what you're going for, but you should get a similar sound just quieter.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have Borla S-Types with offroad H pipe. It's probably quite a bit louder than what you're going for, but you should get a similar sound just quieter.

Those sound nice! Doubt they're too loud. Like I said I like it loud, just want something a little deeper and throatier under 3K RPMS than roush. At WOT I want the car to scream like a bat out of hell, but my issue with the roush is even driving normally it's loud and I don't want my neighbors to hate my guts lol
Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have kooks headers with their offroad h and lethal OAP with no res and I'm switching over to bassani axlebacks.

If you want to give kooks axlebacks a try them I am selling them. They are definitely a lil quieter and deep throughout

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another clip with some off-throttle. And yes the tires spun lol
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I know you don't want the Gt500's but I had roush at first also, great sound but after going offload H pipe it was way too loud. I put the GT500's on and yes they are quiter but they are sometimes just as loud as the roushes with the cats on. So if u are going offload H pipe GT500 sound great with them.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Issue is gt500 tend to sound more tin can like from my experience

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I wouldn't describe them as tin can like at all, in my understanding tin can like is high pitch rasp but the gt500's with offload H are deep and throaty
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
Issue is gt500 tend to sound more tin can like from my experience

I kind of agree with this, under normal driving they sound pretty deep but under WOT with a high flow mid pipe they sound tin cannish and they aren't that loud which is why I want to stay away from them.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I found the Mac axle backs to have a deep tone and not overly loud, I heard them on another mustang and had to get them......sexy deep rumble. And they don't cost 600.00.
Waynes World is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Only issue is the drone on the macs

Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I think the Macs will be too quiet. Again I'm not looking for something a lot quieter than what I have now, just something that is like a 8/10 compared to roush 9/10 in terms of volume, mainly just to be a little quieter under 3K rpms. At Wot and when I get on it I want it to scream, I think Borla S types are going to be the winner here, I will probably find out a more exact answer at the car meet because some other 5.0s should be there with different exhaust setups.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Also look at bassani cause that's what I just bought. Hence the sale of my kooks axlebacks

Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also look at bassani cause that's what I just bought. Hence the sale of my kooks axlebacks

This is one axle back I have been heavily considering. I've heard the tone is awesome but it does have some drone. I also am not sure if Bassani is quite loud enough, its really hard to tell through videos
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Whats louder bassani or kooks? Which one do you like better?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the MBRP catback with an off road H pipe. I love the way it sounds and have gotten plenty of compliments on it. Nice deep tone and very good price

2013 Mustang GT Auto [Ruby!] Pypes Super Catback system, RTR Shocks/Struts, SR Lowering Springs, SVE Series 3 rims, GT/CS spoiler, RTR chin spoiler, JBA H pipe, Eibach LCA, SR panhard bar...Vortech JT Trim coming soon
KP_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #25

Region: New York
MBRP Catback Race Series.

Done.

Deep, unique sound.

Loud enough, not obnoxious.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think I saw a movie called "deeper throatier" recently...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if the h pipe and cats broke in or I just got used to it but as loud as it is I like it more now lol, if I get a ticket or complaints for my exhaust I would probably swap it out for something quieter but I actually have grown to like it a lot over the past week or so, I'm just gona stick with it for now. Although if I had to swap it out I would probably get Borla S types because after a lot of research that seems to be the best medium in terms of volume tone and drone.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Have you looked into Magnaflow? I've watched a few Youtubes with them on Stangs and they sounded good. Doesn't apply too much to your situation but I had a pair of magnaflows on my 97 dodge Dakota, 5.2L v8 and it sounded awesome. Was very happy with the magnaflows on that truck.

KnightRider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Magnaflows sound great. So do Dynomax Ultra Flows. I actually like them better.

The straight thru mufflers (Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra/Super, Bassanni etc...) will get louder as they are used more. The chambered ones like Flows do not.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
What mid pipe are you running?
p411mstang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p411mstang9 View Post
What mid pipe are you running?
JBA 3 inch to 2.75 inch H pipe with Pypes high flow metallic cats welded in. After getting used to the setup it isn't loud enough for me lol, don't get me wrong it is a loud setup for sure, I've gone to meets where some people are running cat less and its louder than their cars. It is like 5% quieter than Roush with an O/R H pipe and slightly less raspy but you can't hear a huge difference. I am considering deleting resonators and maybe switching to Ataks, Extremes, or Magnaflow comp quad tip or just keeping the roush and cutting the resonators.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Sorry if this has been said already but maybe gt500 and delete resonators. That may get you where you want to be.

bluey lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Thanks! I have roush axlebacks right now...debating if I go with the JBA Catted 3-2.75" if it will make a difference in sound over the stock h-pipe?

Quote:
JBA 3 inch to 2.75 inch H pipe with Pypes high flow metallic cats welded in. After getting used to the setup it isn't loud enough for me lol, don't get me wrong it is a loud setup for sure, I've gone to meets where some people are running cat less and its louder than their cars. It is like 5% quieter than Roush with an O/R H pipe and slightly less raspy but you can't hear a huge difference. I am considering deleting resonators and maybe switching to Ataks, Extremes, or Magnaflow comp quad tip or just keeping the roush and cutting the resonators.
p411mstang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey lewis View Post
Sorry if this has been said already but maybe gt500 and delete resonators. That may get you where you want to be.

lol it has been said but it's all good, I got used to the Roush n I actually want it louder now so def not looking to go quieter haha
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p411mstang9 View Post
Thanks! I have roush axlebacks right now...debating if I go with the JBA Catted 3-2.75" if it will make a difference in sound over the stock h-pipe?
Oh yeah it makes it louder for sure, like 15-20% louder and the tone gets much more aggressive, under 3K it isnt a ton louder (but it is a bit louder) but it has a much more raw tone. Above 3K it screams. Trust me I had the same hesitations as you and I didn't want to do it because I thought high flow cats wouldn't make any difference but trust me they do. It crackles and pops more too if you care about that, but personally I like backfire so that's not a problem for me lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust