13 GT Robbery a SCT Tech Story - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
13 GT Robbery a SCT Tech Story

Went to Santa Monica beach for the 4th and some hooligans used a FOB intercepter and unlocked my car when I was at the beach.

They took everything in my car including my work laptop and my brand new SCT X4 tuner. So I called 911 and filed a police report.

I called SCT and asked them if they could help look up the serial number and let me know if anyone tries to unlock my tuner. The guy I spoke with said they will NEVER help me track the tuner and they will let anyone who wants to unlock my device to do so, if they pay the small fee to unlock. He also explained, SCT will provide 0 assistance and do not care about the stolen item. He then began explaining if someone stole your play station, play station would not help either. I asked to speak with a manager and he told me I cannot with this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that ain't right.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Most companies won't offer any support under these circumstances.

When I worked for IBM, we had an account for Apple tech support. We would get calls from people or police all the time, stating that an item was stolen and asked us to flag it or disable it. We stated we would do no such thing and if the person who stole the laptop or ipod called in for support, they would be treated no different than the actual owner.

I'm not sure what exactly you expect them to do. Speaking to a manager to just be told the same thing would accomplish nothing besides waste their time.

Contact your insurance company and tell them what was stolen and hopefully they pay to replace everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I can understand how that can be an issue, you could sell it to someone, report it stolen, they get shafted.

The only people that actually do something about it are phone carriers, they just block it on their network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Does not sound right to me either. My wife left her Kindle on our last flight, we called Amazon and they immediately locked it. We then called Delta and reported it as being left on one of their panes, it took two weeks but they found it and mailed back to us. My point is, you have to register your tuner like a Kindle - I think they just can't (wont) be bothered. Just a though...
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Interesting about the Kindle & cell phone being easy to get locked.

One way to avoid the key fob reader rip-off is to hold down the inside door lock or use the key manually for locking. Never use the wireless remote in a popular place, it's just too easy to pick up the signal and decode
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Never heard this before. Are you stating that if I use my key to lock the ride, it will somehow over ride the electronics that usually lock the ride? If so then will have to use the key to get back in. Will using the fob the next time cause the fob to return back to normal locking and unlocking? Confused.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
He is saying if you dont use your fob they cant intercept the signal. Doesnt change locks but just doesnt give the chance to pick it up. Or so I believe, correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonKnight View Post
Never heard this before. Are you stating that if I use my key to lock the ride, it will somehow over ride the electronics that usually lock the ride? If so then will have to use the key to get back in. Will using the fob the next time cause the fob to return back to normal locking and unlocking? Confused.

If you lock the car it transmits a signal to the car. Since all fords use the same key there is a key the fob sends out that the car receives to work on your car and not the ford you parked next too. What I believe the op is saying is that a thief was eying his car and had a device to pick up the key he transmitted from the fob. The thief then programmed it onto a fob allowing him to get into the car without setting the alarm off.

If you've ever seen the new gone in 60 seconds movie there is a scene where they do it with a garage door opener. Same type of principle.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone wanna donate to a go fund me acc and help me get my tuner back? Lol

Old 07-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Call the insurance company.
Some home insurance will cover stolen item too,
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Don't have that

Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, Ya just gotta live with it and learn not to keep anything valuable in your car.
In these days , things like this happen way to often.
Keep an eye on Craig's list and see if anything turns up.
Ronnie
Old 07-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Same thing would have happened over and over, if it wasn't the car it would have been the hotel. We were on vacation, checking out the beach for 2 hours after we checked out of hotel.

Only thing I can do is buy a after market security system.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Stiff like this happen all over America. It is nothing new.
I just heard on the news the other morning that someplace there was 100 vehicles vandalized and broken into. Someplace here in wisconsin. They showed pictures of broken windows and damage.
All in one night in one neighborhood.
I'll see if I can look up the story.
Ronnie

I found it:
http://www.wisn.com/news/more-than-1...-says/39876500
Old 07-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If a thief is determined to take what you have, they can find a way.

When I owned my locksmith shop in Atlanta I was called to reinstall a safe in a KFC. The old floor safe was chisled out of the concrete floor.

How did the thief get in the building without setting off an alarm? They cut a section out of the roof and dropped through the ceiling. The people involved knew what they were doing.

All of their work was for nothing though. The safe was empty.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
He is saying if you dont use your fob they cant intercept the signal. Doesnt change locks but just doesnt give the chance to pick it up. Or so I believe, correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Absolutely right! The key fob transmitter can be picked up by a good receiver much further than the usual car range of say 50 feet. The thief decodes the digital code for the car and transmits it later to open the door.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm having a viper security system installed todAy so hopefully this doesn't happen again

Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Supporter

Region: Texas
If they have a faxed copy of the police report they should disable it (in theory) but you and I know they won't. If you're trying to blast them about their customer service it ain't going to do any good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT