Roush AB + Dynomax Bullets? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Roush AB + Dynomax Bullets?

I've searched through these and other forums and could not find anything specific on a stock exhaust setup with simply Roush ABs and Dynomax bullets welded in to replace factory resonators.

My car is a Sunday toy, would like it to be louder (20%ish??) but not lose the deepness and tone of the Roush - my reasons for not going with a simple resonator delete, in addition to the TONS of popping I heard in a video with the roush+res delete. The dynomax bullets I've read about which might get me what I want are the race bullets, part #24222. They are 3" in/out and 16.5" long. Dynomax offers shorter but I couldn't find any good info on these at all aside from them being VERY loud. From what I've read, these would be more free flowing (3" vs 2") thus increasing sound but without all the rasp a res delete would bring. In addition to the bullets, I would also upgrade to 3" pipe from cats to stock H in an effort for a little more sound.

Any input would be awesome. I have only found 1 low quality YouTube video of a roush+Dynomax setup so I'd be hoping for the best trying this out on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
KnightRider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Im in the same boat. after I installed my long tubes I get more exhaust popping, which is don't mind, but rasp went up during DD. Im thinking of cutting out the factory resonators and replacing them with some 2.5" in/out 4" round x 14" long models.

Factory resonators neck down to about 2.25" ID, so even a 2.5" resonator would be and upgrade . I didn't measure it exactly but the factory one looks to be a 2.3" OD in/out, 10" long, around 14-16" overall length(including the pre and post neck down pipe)
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was doubting anyone would have much input on this setup, never came across anything through tons of searching.

Could anyone at least offer input on what the bullets might do to the sound of the Roush ABs vs stock resonators? Am I wrong in thinking I'd accomplish my goal of increased sound going to the bullets since they're larger diameter and more free flowing vs stock res? More sound but keeping the deepness of the Roush and without the rasp... Any input would be greatly appreciated! I want more sound but don't want to trade off deepness for rasp! Help!!

Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

Region: South Carolina
Has anyone cut the OEM resonators open to see how they are made?? Are they a just glass-pack with smaller ID??

I removed my OEM over-axle pipes and installed BORLA 3" resonator delete ones and really cannot tell much difference!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I had my resonators removed and I would say the car is a lot louder with the roush a/b and resonator delete but it does add quite a bit of rasp that wasn't there with just the roush a/b.
Yellowblaze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowblaze12 View Post
I had my resonators removed and I would say the car is a lot louder with the roush a/b and resonator delete but it does add quite a bit of rasp that wasn't there with just the roush a/b.

How bad is the rasp? I want the extra noise but I don't want to sacrifice quality of sound. How about the popping, too much?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider36 View Post
How bad is the rasp? I want the extra noise but I don't want to sacrifice quality of sound. How about the popping, too much?

The rasp is a noticeable bit more in the high Rpms but at idle and normal driving speeds it is about the same and the tone sounds better in my opinion. There is also a lot more popping on downshifts but in my opinion the pops sound good and not like a fart can popping
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's really just your opinion. Some people hate it some people love it. The good thing is it only costed me around $60 and if I didn't like it the shop said they could reverse it right back to stock
Old 08-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The rasp is a noticeable bit more in the high Rpms but at idle and normal driving speeds it is about the same and the tone sounds better in my opinion. There is also a lot more popping on downshifts but in my opinion the pops sound good and not like a fart can popping

I RARELY go above 3500, 4000 RPM so maybe the rasp wouldn't be as noticeable for me? I just take it easy for the most part, cruising around 2k with the occasional hard take off. Cruising with the delete is also louder around 2k - 3k? I can't get ANY info on how race bullets would effect the sound but I def want louder. Maybe I should just try the deletes then if I don't like it try the bullets instead...

Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I RARELY go above 3500, 4000 RPM so maybe the rasp wouldn't be as noticeable for me? I just take it easy for the most part, cruising around 2k with the occasional hard take off. Cruising with the delete is also louder around 2k - 3k? I can't get ANY info on how race bullets would effect the sound but I def want louder. Maybe I should just try the deletes then if I don't like it try the bullets instead...

I would definitely go with the deletes then if I were you especially if you don't go above 4000rpm a lot even though it doesn't sound that bad above 4000 it's just a bit more raspy
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would definitely go with the deletes then if I were you especially if you don't go above 4000rpm a lot even though it doesn't sound that bad above 4000 it's just a bit more raspy

Really appreciate the detailed info! So I WILL get the sound increase I'm looking for even in the lower, 2-3k RPM range? Minimal or no rasp at that point too?

Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really appreciate the detailed info! So I WILL get the sound increase I'm looking for even in the lower, 2-3k RPM range? Minimal or no rasp at that point too?

Yes you will still get a notable sound increase in the low Rpms and little to no rasp. The popping tends to kick in around 2500-4000 rpm but I don't think it sounds bad in my opinion, nothing like a fart can popping
Old 08-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you will still get a notable sound increase in the low Rpms and little to no rasp. The popping tends to kick in around 2500-4000 rpm but I don't think it sounds bad in my opinion, nothing like a fart can popping

Thank you. I think I'm just going to go for it. If it doesn't work out I'll prob try the race bullets instead of getting the stock resonators welded back in. My only concern now is the amount of popping, hopefully it's not too much for me.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm sure we already discussed this in our many conversations lol but if its just a weekend car I would delete the cats or go long tubes with cat deletes. You will think it's really loud at first but you will get used to like I did haha and end up loving it a lot. People say Roush get Raspy without cats and etc. but I personally love the sound of catless Roush, only reason I'm high flow is because its a daily and the smell was kind of annoying when I tried it in the past. But catless sounds nasty and awesome!!! If my car was a weekend car I wouldn't have cats lol
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
I'm sure we already discussed this in our many conversations lol but if its just a weekend car I would delete the cats or go long tubes with cat deletes. You will think it's really loud at first but you will get used to like I did haha and end up loving it a lot. People say Roush get Raspy without cats and etc. but I personally love the sound of catless Roush, only reason I'm high flow is because its a daily and the smell was kind of annoying when I tried it in the past. But catless sounds nasty and awesome!!! If my car was a weekend car I wouldn't have cats lol

I'm not against any of those options I just don't want to put that much $$$ into it right now. That's why I'm still considering a simple resonator delete, more sound and much easier on the wallet. I'm really wanting to get wheels and tires because I'm just not sold on the looks of the CS wheels. If I do go that route I'll be taking it easy on mods the rest of this year after having just recently bought the car.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay haha just checkin. Cat delete pipes are only 150 bucks and if you want the full offroad mid pipe its 300. I can even sell you my pypes after cat X pipe for like 80 bucks to save you some money then you can order the cat delete pipes yourself. You don't have to tune the car immediately with cat deletes you can wait a little while especially if you're only driving it 1-2 days a week. If you work on your own car swapping the off road mid pipe on isn't that hard I know a few of my buddies who said they did it in 1-2 hours with the right tools. And the CS wheels aren't amazing looking but way better than the regular 5 spoke stock wheels I had before lol. Plus you could probably re sell the CS wheels for a few hundred bucks unlike the regular stock wheels. If you do want my x pipe Pittsburgh isn't that far from NOVA so shipping wouldn't be too bad or we could even meet up one weekend somewhere if you'd like then you could hear my car as well lol
Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the offer Kaveh, really do appreciate it. I won't rule it out either. Let me try and get these wheels n tires first and see what comes of that. In the meantime I will do some research on the setup you're suggesting. With that said, if you're looking to sell anything by no means wait on me to decide!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Kaveh, really do appreciate it. I won't rule it out either. Let me try and get these wheels n tires first and see what comes of that. In the meantime I will do some research on the setup you're suggesting. With that said, if you're looking to sell anything by no means wait on me to decide!

No problem man, I'm in no rush to sell the stuff it's just laying around for now. And sounds like a deal man. If you want 20% louder and aren't opposed to deleting cats I'm telling you forget the res delete and just wait and get an Offroad X/H pipe haha. Sounds like a beast with roush axle backs. One guy whose car I love who has roush w offroad h on youtube is LMFScrew. As far as videos with offroad x pipes if you just search 2014 Mustang GT Roush axle back offroad x pipe you will get a ton of results. If you don't mind some rasp at higher RPMS and want volume. Offroad mid pipe is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT