Coilovers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Coilovers?

I'm looking into getting some coilovers mainly for the look but I don't want to have such a harsh ride either. I don't want to pay a crazy amount either. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I know what not to buy. Eibach
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The closest that you will get to a decent ride with a cheap set of coilovers is going to be the ground control sleeves on konis. Bilstein is your other good option.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
BC Racing offers some nice products for a decent price. Most if their kits can be ordered with custom spring rates and adjustable bound/rebound.

2014 GT Track Pack 6MT
five.ohhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.ohhh View Post
BC Racing offers some nice products for a decent price. Most if their kits can be ordered with custom spring rates and adjustable bound/rebound.
No, just don't. The car performs significantly better in complete stock form than any setup on anything BC. They are a form above all else shock that has horrifying dyno charts (which is the part that actually matters). Every client I have ever dealt with that made the mistake of BC, was amazed when I put a Koni and factory spring on, by how much harder the car could be driven before loss of mechanical grip, and by how well it rode.

If you cheap out on coilovers, the result will invariably be unfortunate to say the least.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo444 View Post
I'm looking into getting some coilovers mainly for the look but I don't want to have such a harsh ride either. I don't want to pay a crazy amount either. Any recommendations?
Sounds like lowering springs and shortened bilstein shocks/struts are what you're really looking for. Cheap coilovers will get you low but don't ride or handle all that great. The cheapest coilover setup I would consider is Vorshlag's custom Bilstein ones for around 2500. After that you have KWs and other much nicer setups in the 3k+ range.

Under 2k? Stick with springs and a good shock/strut combo.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would not KW either, my experience is that they are expensive in the long term due to springing leaks at awkward times. This becomes annoying because like Koni, they only do first party rebuilds, but they do not have any presence in North America, so you have to ship them back to Germany.

I love Bilstein, they build an excellent damper. For the price, a non adjustable Bilstein is roughly equal to a single adjustable Koni. On the street, I would rather buy a set of new Konis because of the lifetime warranty for the first owner. On track though, Bilstein double adjustable are the first really good damper you can buy without calling Vorshlag and asking for a set of Motion Controls or Penskes.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sadly I don't think Bilstein even makes adjustable dampers that fit the s197 chassis. But I'll argue that most people don't really know how to properly adjust their dampers anyway so they might be better off.

Basically, coilovers aren't worth it unless you're willing to spend 2500+, and most of the good ones are over 3k. At that point, with your goals of "low and soft ride" in mind, it sounds like you should just get air ride. (it pains me to say that, I hate bags on mustangs)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Sadly I don't think Bilstein even makes adjustable dampers that fit the s197 chassis. But I'll argue that most people don't really know how to properly adjust their dampers anyway so they might be better off.

Basically, coilovers aren't worth it unless you're willing to spend 2500+, and most of the good ones are over 3k. At that point, with your goals of "low and soft ride" in mind, it sounds like you should just get air ride. (it pains me to say that, I hate bags on mustangs)
They do, but its a custom build so it isn't cheap. For street use you wouldn't really need adjustable dampers. You could get a good monotube setup with appropriate springs and you'll be golden for 90%+ of your driving.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So no real coilovers?? I drive to Mustang Week and I guess I am pampered with good roads here in Naples. I wanted the ability to road trip higher and daily like I do now? BUT I do care about the ride and handling. Are you all saying I should just get Shocks and struts as not that different? Right now I have Eibach Sportline Springs with Eibach Prodamper shocks and struts
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
So no real coilovers?? I drive to Mustang Week and I guess I am pampered with good roads here in Naples. I wanted the ability to road trip higher and daily like I do now? BUT I do care about the ride and handling. Are you all saying I should just get Shocks and struts as not that different? Right now I have Eibach Sportline Springs with Eibach Prodamper shocks and struts
With cheap coilovers you gain ride height adjustment but lose ride quality and build quality. The price has to be reflected somewhere...

Springs and dampers won't be height adjustable, but that money goes towards quality instead (assuming you get good parts).

Really it sounds like what you want is air ride. Doh, said it again
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda 2005-14 Mustang GT/Boss/V6 Stage 1 Coilover Suspension System - Made in USA 555-8127-1 | Free Shipping!

Not the cheapest but will give you the quality, handling & appearance you would expect from Steeda!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
With cheap coilovers you gain ride height adjustment but lose ride quality and build quality. The price has to be reflected somewhere...

Springs and dampers won't be height adjustable, but that money goes towards quality instead (assuming you get good parts).

Really it sounds like what you want is air ride. Doh, said it again
Doohh... air is sooo passe lol. I have spent a crap ton on the car. I dont like wasting money but dont mind spending for something good. That said I wouldnt jump from a GREAT 1000 set uf shocks struts to 3000 for great couil overs just so I can adjust height for a road trip 1-2 times a year. I would if in handled better and put/kept power to pavement better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Steeda 2005-14 Mustang GT/Boss/V6 Stage 1 Coilover Suspension System - Made in USA 555-8127-1 | Free Shipping!

Not the cheapest but will give you the quality, handling & appearance you would expect from Steeda!

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, says up to 2" drop. thats what I have now so not too bad. any sets with more variation? Also, there is only one review on this item. Anyone on here have the Steeda set? Steeda in Florida right? Hook me up with sweet install price?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT