Barton short shifter noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Barton short shifter noise

I recently bought a Barton short throw shifter with the two post bracket. To be honest I'm not too impressed with it. At first the noise that came into the cabin wasn't too bad, usually when shifting you could hear the transmission working. But now gears 2,4, and 6 all make a lot of noise while in gear. Does anyone have any experience with this ?
Tyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I don't have the shifter, just the Barton shifter bracket (not two-post), and the NVH increased a good bit over the stock bracket. I can only imagine it is much worse with the entire setup, along with two-post. This is the main reason I haven't invested in an aftermarket shifter - the noise would drive me crazy. I can't hear it with the windows down though, of course.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
I don't have the shifter, just the Barton shifter bracket (not two-post), and the NVH increased a good bit over the stock bracket. I can only imagine it is much worse with the entire setup, along with two-post. This is the main reason I haven't invested in an aftermarket shifter - the noise would drive me crazy. I can't hear it with the windows down though, of course.
At first I was only able to hear the transmission while shifting. I have borla s type axel backs on the car as well. Now even with the mufflers, the Windows down, and the radio on, this shifter is making the most noise. I'm worried it might be causing damage to the transmission.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The Barton shifter transmits a lot more noise and some of these mt82 make more noise than others.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
The Barton shifter transmits a lot more noise and some of these mt82 make more noise than others.
Could changing the transmission fluid quiet things down?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Its the shifter. They are good at transmitting noise
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I installed the sr short shifter and bracket and went back to my regular stock shifter and bracket. The excessive cabin grinding noise was horrible. Noise still there now currently, but not as bad.

410 rwhp 320 ft-lbs
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I put dynamat around the trans tunnel inside and it helped a lot of the trans noise go away. Mine is a noisy one, can hear the gear clash in the lower gears but it shifts smooth as butter despite the noise it makes. Part of it is the thin fluid Ford specs.

I have an mgw gen 1 and love it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard mgw is quieter than Barton. Should I look into that?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed mine about two weeks ago, I have the shifter/two post combo, and to me it's not that noicy. I don't know if I'm not hearing too much NVH because I changed to RP fluid and installed the gasket between the shifter and housing at the same time. I can definitely hear the synchros and feel some vibration( only in the shifter) but not that bad as you describe it. I really love the way it feels and works I would never go back to the crap the stock shifter was.
LMS 93 Performance-3 Bar V4 tune-160*Tstat-SP534 plugs-Windstorm-H&R Exp Springs
LeoGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGTCS View Post
I installed mine about two weeks ago, I have the shifter/two post combo, and to me it's not that noicy. I don't know if I'm not hearing too much NVH because I changed to RP fluid and installed the gasket between the shifter and housing at the same time. I can definitely hear the synchros and feel some vibration( only in the shifter) but not that bad as you describe it. I really love the way it feels and works I would never go back to the crap the stock shifter was.
I forgot to mention that I also installed a new gasket in between the shifter and the housing. I didn't notice a difference in sound though.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Can you describe a little be more what kind of noice r u experiencing? There's some things I read that may cause noice. Not tighting all the screws can produce noice, also I read if the shifter rubber booth is not installed like it should would cause noice and may be trouble to put the tranny in some of the gears.
LMS 93 Performance-3 Bar V4 tune-160*Tstat-SP534 plugs-Windstorm-H&R Exp Springs
Old 07-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you describe a little be more what kind of noice r u experiencing? There's some things I read that may cause noice. Not tighting all the screws can produce noice, also I read if the shifter rubber booth is not installed like it should would cause noice and may be trouble to put the tranny in some of the gears.
When I had first installed the shifter and bracket the only noise I was hearing was when I shifted gears. I believe it is the synchros working. It's like a swooshing sound. Almost like a rush of air. After a few days all of the bottom gears (2,4, and 6 and also reverse) make a slight grinding noise. It's very annoying. Ive been sure to tighten all the bolts down but not over tighten. The rubber boot is on perfectly. I've watched Barton's instillation videos. I even tried spinning the handle on the shifter 180 degrees. Barton says if you're reverse lockout it 2 inches then your shifter needs to use the 2013 side reverse lock out. I've tried it both ways and saw no difference which I thought was weird.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #14

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyd123 View Post
I've heard mgw is quieter than Barton. Should I look into that?
YES!!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

A friend has the MGW and it is quieter, I didn't buy it cause of budget. Definitely something is wrong, but I dont think Its the shifter. Have you pulled all apart again to see if something is installed wrong?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A friend has the MGW and it is quieter, I didn't buy it cause of budget. Definitely something is wrong, but I dont think Its the shifter. Have you pulled all apart again to see if something is installed wrong?
Yeah I've installed and reinstalled it to make sure I did everything right. I switched back to the stock shifter but left the two post bracket on. It actually shifts really nice and there is no more noise. I'm pretty happy with the way it drives now.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Some of these mt82s make more noise than others. I wouldn't be concerned. Dynamat on the trans tunnel inside will help a lot.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Yeah I have the Barton short shifter and two post bracket too and I don't have any noise unless I rest my hand on the shifter or when shifting slowly. I don't mind the small noise increase because the throw is sooo close now. I will admit the shifter is very very notchy, but not bad when speed shifting. I love the Barton but if I had to do it over again I would buy the MGW.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have had mine for almost 5 years no problems
5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT