Brake fluid flush/switch to DOT4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM  

h

Reply With Quote Moderated Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Brake fluid flush/switch to DOT4

Hello all, I will soon be flushing my dot 3 to dot 4. My question lies in how to clear the abs system. I've been reading and can't find any info. My previous knowledge from other vehicles tell me I need the tech tool to actuate the abs to release all captured fluid for a full flush. Well, I can't find ANY info on the 5.0 and this is my first mustang so I come here. I talked to the "Mustang tech" at my dealership and he recommended a pressure bleed and said that'd flush the abs system too. Please advise.

My paranoia tells me that as I'm coming down the back road down our mountain I'll activate my abs as I finish a turn and it releases dot 3 into my system, the dot 4 is right on the verge of its outer limits but above the dot 3, the dot 3 vaporizes, I lose my pedal....and enter the next hairpin at 65-80 sending the off the cliff! 😵🤕

How do I run a full flush? I plan to install a SS clutch line, SS brake lines, and separate the clutch/brake line at the same time. I figured this would be the best time so it's one move instead of 4.

Thanks all, I appreciate the info.
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

So is it not possible or not needed on our abs? Any techs in house?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You won't be on the verge of DOT4's limits on any public road. If you are, you're doing something very wrong or very dangerous. The ABS system is quite far away from your calipers, and unless your calipers are leaking, the ounce or so of DOT3 that might be left in the ABS won't make it to the calipers.

Just suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster or something. Fill it up with DOT4, bleed from the farthest caliper until you see fresh fluid. Then bleed the rest until you see fresh fluid.
If it makes you feel better, bleed with the car running. I usually have better results that way.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm prepping the car for the Silver Dtate Classic and want to decrease/eliminate any variable possible. I'm really looking for a technical answer.
I appreciate that you believe my fictitious situation is implausible (it was meant to be over the top to get a point across), but the fact of the matter is that the abs system contains fluid that I'd like to flush.
How is that done? I assume there is a better way than "flush system, find empty road, slam brakes multiple times to actuate ABS system, start over at step one".

Anyone?
Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Region: Alaska
Isn't there a bleeder port on the ABS unit. If there is use a mighty vac to suck the fluid out.

Also, if you are doing an open road race why aren't you going to DOT 5.1?

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Isn't there a bleeder port on the ABS unit. If there is use a mighty vac to suck the fluid out.

Also, if you are doing an open road race why aren't you going to DOT 5.1?

Dave
DOT 5 is NEVER to be used on a race car. There is a reason that many racing organizations will park you if they catch you using that junk. Too many people have died because of the inferior chemical makeup of DOT 5 vs even DOT 3. Just go with some DOT 4.

The way to flush the ABS is to connect a high grade scanner to actuate the individual ABS solenoids. I have done it on my car with a Snap-On Solus Ultra through the OBD connector. Make sure that you do not empty the reservoir at any point because that is the fastest way to trap an air pocket in the ABS pump.

The best thing that you can do for a high speed event is to get a set of brake cooling ducts for the front, and a set of very high temp pads like the G Loc R-12 (or a similar number Carbotech).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Dot5.1 is not Dot5....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Dot 5 & 5.1 are totally different despite both being "5". The 5.1 is high performance and recommended for anti-lock brakes at cold temps. Cold temp viscosity is part of the confusion of OEM recommendations for DOT 3 vs 4. Companies like Willwood make high temp DOT 3 suitable for racing with high dry boiling temp. The trick with brake fluid for any type of competition driving is change it often to get rid of moisture.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Region: Alaska
What is the Difference between DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid?

DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids and are used widely in the automotive and cycle industry. They are controlled by standards set out by the Department of Transportation (DOT) -hence the name.

The main difference between these two brake fluids is in their boiling points. Part of the standards that need to be met by the manufacturers of DOT fluids are the minimum dry and wet boiling points. These are the minimum temperatures that the brake fluid must perform at before the brake fluid starts to boil, which can lead to complete brake failure.

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system. It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT