MyColor cup holders in Base - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
MyColor cup holders in Base

So I have a base GT but upgraded the cluster to that of a premium so I have the my color guages. I am now looking into putting the center console from a premium with the my color cup holders in. My question is, is it plug and play? If not and if it is possible what do I need to get in order to make the cup holders work with my guages. As in change the colors from the cluster. Thank you!
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How hard was it to replace the cluster with the one that changes color
buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's really easy, programming it is a bit challenging. The actual programming is simple but getting the right version of the software to connect to the programmer and the car is the challenging part but it's not toooooo bad. There's a great thread on here about it, read it and you'll have all the information u need.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What is the thread called? And can you program it yourself or do you need to bring it to ford

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The thread is towards the bottom of the first page called "How to install a 2013 Track apps cluster in a base 2013 mustang GT" here is the link also How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT.

You can either go to ford or get a replica VCMII from online for around$100
Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I stumbled across a thread in the V6 section about adding the MyColor to a base. It was a while back so I don't remember the guys name, but he was able to hook up all the MyColor options but I think he wasn't able to switch it from the cluster. The color that came up depended on how the wiring was connected. I'll look and see if I can find the thread again

2014 DIB V6 manual. FP6 Tech package.
nwewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It was probably mine.

I just spliced the MyColor stuff into what was already there. So the door lights were spliced in to the lock/unlock switches. The foot wells and the cup holder were spliced in to the Auto shifter gear lights. The door sills were spliced into the Dome/Map lights.

Cluster kinda worked on its own. Only thing I couldn't do was change the color of the lights (besides the cluster of course), unless I re-wired stuff. Which would not have been hard. But the only color I preferred was Blue so I left it like that.

If you have a manual trans, you are on your own. No idea how to get that to work.

I did almost a full Premium swap on my 2014. Right down to the Shaker faceplate and pedals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	204222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	204223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	204224  

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
^^^
Yep that was it!

2014 DIB V6 manual. FP6 Tech package.
nwewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah mines a manual lol i really wanted a way to hook up the cupholders so they can match the cluster.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
Yeah mines a manual lol i really wanted a way to hook up the cupholders so they can match the cluster.
You can use the old trick of wiring it straight to the passenger foot area - fuse box. Not sure which fuse you would tap in to though.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
You can use the old trick of wiring it straight to the passenger foot area - fuse box. Not sure which fuse you would tap in to though.
Yeah to get power but wouldn't really change any colors, id be stuck with whatever the color it was on
Old 08-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah to get power but wouldn't really change any colors, id be stuck with whatever the color it was on
I know there is a specific wiring harness you have to get for the car but I could never figure out the part number. As these cars are not pre-wired for those. Base models that is.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I saw this on another forum by a member, not sure if its true but i might have to take apart my center console and find out for myself

"MOST "packages" that ford can install are usually already wired for it. Not always, but usually. In fact if you look under your cup holders you can see the wiring harness for the ambient lighting cup holders. "

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

I saw this on another forum by a member, not sure if its true but i might have to take apart my center console and find out for myself

"MOST "packages" that ford can install are usually already wired for it. Not always, but usually. In fact if you look under your cup holders you can see the wiring harness for the ambient lighting cup holders. "
Old 08-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

No...

For the 2005 and 2006 it was. but afterwards, they no longer pre-wired the cars for Ambient lighting. Trust me, I know.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Alright might go talk to someone at ford and see if they can give some insight on a harness!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
No...

For the 2005 and 2006 it was. but afterwards, they no longer pre-wired the cars for Ambient lighting. Trust me, I know.
Manual cars are pre-wired for the auto trans though. My 2011 Manual has the connector for the auto shifter to come on when the lights do. Haven't checked the multimeter to see if these wires are active without the connector plugged in but could be a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Manual cars are pre-wired for the auto trans though. My 2011 Manual has the connector for the auto shifter to come on when the lights do. Haven't checked the multimeter to see if these wires are active without the connector plugged in but could be a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yea but he is referring to being pre-wired for MyColor. Which these are not. Base models that is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT