What to do in winter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What to do in winter?

So last year my 5.0 was on the stock pirelli all season tires with stock wheels and the car only had an axle back exhaust. Now it has 20X8.5 and 20X10 AMR wheels with 255/35/20 MT street comps and 305/35/20 comps in the rear with a high flow catted mid pipe and a Bama race tune. I feel like the car is pretty much not driveable now in any winter weather at all because last year I got stuck multiple times in like 2 inches of snow and in the NOVA area the snow got pretty crazy at a couple of points going even up to 16 inches+ of snow fall. What do you guys with modded 5.0s do in the winter? I'm considering trading in the car for an F150 or buying an F150 to go along with the Stang but that would be pretty costly, just out of curiosity I wanted to see what you guys do in the winter? Drive a different car maybe?
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Get a set of cheap 18" wheels with snow tires. Go narrower, 255 or smaller to cut through the snow. Dump the race tune because that on/off throttle map will do you no favors. Put a few bags of sand or kitty litter in the trunk. Helps keep weight on the rear wheels and you can use it to help get unstuck if you need to.

I did just fine for one winter using the stock brembo wheels and 245/45/19 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Those aren't even a full blown snow tire, just "winter sport" tires. Only ever got stuck in my own driveway when I was too lazy to shovel. If I had Blizzaks or other full blown snow tires I probably wouldn't have gotten stuck.

Since then I decided I wanted to try to preserve the stang and bought a used Audi A4 for 5 grand. That car does great in the snow even on all seasons. If I put winters on it, it would be unstoppable.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have a Tacoma and my Stang is the toy. If I only could have one ride it would be a truck

unless you mod it trucks are not toys they are tools
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I Roll the windows down, enjoy the weather and speed up a little thanks to the cooler ambient temp
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Keep the five ohhh and get a cheap 4x4 to get you through the winter. You know you'll miss the stang once spring hits!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
KnightRider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's exactly my problem lol, I don't want to drive it in the winter and don't want to go through swapping off and on wheels and tires every year and having to adjust to the weather. I have wanted a 16 F150 for a while now and I would probably get a 4X4 XLT 3.5L ecoboost Sport but I know for a fact I'll miss the Stang if I trade it in. I've also considered getting a cheap 4x4 as well, I gotta decide on what to do I just wanted to hear some opinions from other people who drive 5.0s in winter weather... The new f150s are really nice though it is very tempting lol
Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think you'll miss the stang if you trade it for a truck. Get a used awd or 4x4 beater for winter and keep the stang!
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Winter

Put it in the garage, take it out when no snow on the ground.
Drive my impala.
Knight Rider 36, where in Pittsburgh Area are you?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I park it, and drive my 99 Expedition. It's a tank.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
GT is parked when snow is on the ground and until rain washes the salt away. Roush is in winter storage. 2000 Silverado Z71 is called into service.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I didn't even drive V6 in the snow, not even because of preservation but because it did terrible on stock tires.

Drove in my housemates Malibu to work, will probably get 12-15k Cruze/Fusion soon as a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Put a 4 inch lift in the car and snow tires with chains on the back, if possible convert it to AWD.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol at ^... But it seems as if most people have some other vehicle they use in the winter. Looks like I will probably go down that route or trade it in for a new F150. Although I may just buy an F150 and keep the Stang as well I guess I'll find out within a month or two. The new F150s make a good case for me to trade in the 5.0, so comfortable and spacious, and you can use them for anything. There is only 2 negatives in trading in the Stang for an f150, 1. Parking garages and small spaces, and 2. I will miss the screaming v8 Exhaust note and the kick in your *** when you downshift and floor it lol. I don't think I'll trade in the 5.0 though just wanted to see if people actually tend to drive them in the snow/winter weather, because even when I was bone stock the thing sucked to drive in the slightest inclement weather
Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Never drive mine in the snow, just doesn't have the ground clearance for Connecticut weather. I had a 2004 Mazda RX8 and it got stuck in the driveway.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You don't need to buy a truck to survive, just spend 5k on a beater for the 1-2 months that the roads are salted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Or you can move south.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I drive mine year round unless there is snow in the forecast (very rare in NC), but I have an old 4x4 truck for just such occasions.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
Put it in the garage, take it out when no snow on the ground.

Drive my impala.

Knight Rider 36, where in Pittsburgh Area are you?

Reg, I'm in the south hills.

Kaveh, keeeeeeeep it! You just completed all those mods too. Grab another decent vehicle for 10k and keep the car parked in any bad weather. Booyah, everybody wins.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
5k, 10k!?! I'm guessing you don't have that to toss around otherwise you'd have just bought another vehicle and not posted. You want cheap? Get a Focus with snow tires (or other front drive vehicle) and smile at each fill up. My co-workers drive jeeps and laugh when I blow by them in the snow (central NY). Parts are cheap, gas is cheap and they're easy to work on.
Yeah, I know, it's only my 2 cents but you can keep the change lol.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I don't have a 5.0. I have a 4.6 but it is modified. I live in Canada, so yes we get snow. Mine is my only vehicle so I don't have a choice. But we don't use salt here, just sand. I've driven mine over the mountains in blinding snowstorms and never had a problem. In fact I sort of had fun. I put on a good set of winters and away I go. I do about 80 on packed snow and ice coming over one of the highest, if not highest passes in Canada and have no problem, so if the Stang is your only car, take the time to take it into a shop, put on some good snows (don't go cheap) and enjoy your car year around.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
get an old beater crown vic for about 1500 to 2000 dollars.keep good tires and brakes on it and in the winter put some weight in the trunk for traction and the thing will sled through snow.been doing it for about 8 years now with my old 93.image means nothing in the dead of winter,especially here in indy.this car has about 280.000 miles on it and you should see the paint job.i call it the fade.lol!
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely all good options, I still have time before the weather starts to go downhill at least another month or so. I don't plan on rushing into any decision but rather take my time. If I said I wouldn't miss the 5.0 if I trade it in I would be lying, but a truck would be a lot more useful for me because of work and how bad weather around NOVA gets. However like I said I might keep the 5.0 and get a new f150 as well. But I dont plan on rushing into a decision. I did just put a lot of money into the 5.o over the past couple months so it would kinda suck to lose all that lol
Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You could get an 11-12 f150 5.0 or ecoboost for a lot less than a new f150 too if you didn't want to drop $40k+..

Nickerbocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #24

Region: New York
It's all in the tires. All seasons don't cut it. Have been through 2 new York winters with zero issues. I have an extra set of track pack wheels with 245/45/19 Blizzaks. Takes me less than 10 mins to swap wheels when it starts getting cold around here. Car goes right through. Only limitation is ground clearance. Anything more than 6 inches is rough. I bought a beater car this year but will still drive the mustang in the winter just because it fun.
imeyers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
So last year my 5.0 was on the stock pirelli all season tires with stock wheels and the car only had an axle back exhaust. Now it has 20X8.5 and 20X10 AMR wheels with 255/35/20 MT street comps and 305/35/20 comps in the rear with a high flow catted mid pipe and a Bama race tune. I feel like the car is pretty much not driveable now in any winter weather at all because last year I got stuck multiple times in like 2 inches of snow and in the NOVA area the snow got pretty crazy at a couple of points going even up to 16 inches+ of snow fall. What do you guys with modded 5.0s do in the winter? I'm considering trading in the car for an F150 or buying an F150 to go along with the Stang but that would be pretty costly, just out of curiosity I wanted to see what you guys do in the winter? Drive a different car maybe?
What did I do? I bought a Ford Explorer beater before the blizzard. Do yourself a favor and get a beater truck for Winter if needed. We have had three above normal years of snowfall in northern Virginia, I doubt that will make it to 4 with the La Nina winter coming up.
1999 Explorer 4x4 stock
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just convert that baby to a 4x4, best of both worlds and solves all your problems. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1470750983.142106.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	204086

Old 08-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Again it seems people have a beater or a 2nd car for the most part... I'm not gona rush into any decision haha its still barely into August I have time to think over all my options but like I said I was curious to hear what everyone else does with their Mustangs in the winter. If not now I do eventually plan on getting a truck as my daily but would prefer to get a nicer one and just keep it for 5-8 years and then put a blower on the Stang or trade it in for a Shelby or something and not daily the Stang anymore. But for the time being I needed to hear some opinions on winter haha
Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #28

Region: Alaska
I bought my Mustang as a year round daily driver. I picked the car up on 1/10/15 and we proceed to have the worst winter in Boston's recorded history.

I took off the 19" summer tires immediately and replaced them with a set of 18" winter tires. The winter tires with snow mode the car handled that winter and last winter as well as any car I have ever owned. I have a beater 4x4 pickup that I never used.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
I see quite a few Stangs in the winter; they seem to work fine;
(my tires are useless too; my dad gave me his truck to drive in the winter)
he said he's not buying you a truck.
i tried 🙁
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
Again it seems people have a beater or a 2nd car for the most part... I'm not gona rush into any decision haha its still barely into August I have time to think over all my options but like I said I was curious to hear what everyone else does with their Mustangs in the winter. If not now I do eventually plan on getting a truck as my daily but would prefer to get a nicer one and just keep it for 5-8 years and then put a blower on the Stang or trade it in for a Shelby or something and not daily the Stang anymore. But for the time being I needed to hear some opinions on winter haha
2005 Ford Explorer w/ Almost New Engine

I would offer $1500 then either do a junkyard transmission or do a soft rebuild for around a grand. For $2500 spent it would make a really nice beater.
1999 Explorer 4x4 stock
Old 08-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
I see quite a few Stangs in the winter; they seem to work fine;
(my tires are useless too; my dad gave me his truck to drive in the winter)
he said he's not buying you a truck.
i tried 🙁
I drove mine for 2 years in the winter, but the salt is what you have to be worried about.
1999 Explorer 4x4 stock
Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I drove mine for 2 years in the winter, but the salt is what you have to be worried about.

That's the exact reason I would get a 2nd vehicle if it's at all possible. The salt is nasty. I've taken care of my truck over the years but haven't been able to completely prevent rust. Got a few small spots on the back bumper and frame underneath. If I had to do it all again, I'd have got the frame sprayed when I first got it.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post

Oh yeah; we use mostly sand here; but i would be too chicken to drive mine in the winter haha
Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Hello

Leave the Mustang in the garage and drive the F-150.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #35
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider36 View Post
Just convert that baby to a 4x4, best of both worlds and solves all your problems. Attachment 204086

lol my dad just said: "oh **** that. & that colour yet ... "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT