Blacked out hood vents - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Blacked out hood vents

So one if the first things I want mark off my list is to black out the hood vents on the stock gt hood. I know you can plastidip it but I'm looking more of a gloss black. Has anyone done this to theirs or know how?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You can get them professionally painted. If not, plastidip and a couple coats of glossifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
2014 Oxford White GT 'Vert
Supporter

Region: Canada
They're easy enough to take out. Just take'm out and spray them with 2-3 costs of matte black. Looks perfect.

Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
^^^ This.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
^^^Not This
Take them out and hit them with 2-3 coats of GLOSS black. Matte looks like primer and you want that baby to shine!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I painted mine Gloss Black. Take off the Hood Liner. Undo 1 Nut & they slide out. Scuff them up a little so the paint will stick. One of those Green Scrubbing Pads or 800 Grit Sandpaper works well. I used cheap Walmart paint...96 cents a can. 1 can of Flat Black as a primer & 1 can of Gloss Black (2-3 Coats of each) . Then I used 1 Can of Gloss Clear Coat ($5.00). Then Buff them up by hand with Compound ... They'll get shiny enough to see yourself in them in just a few minutes. Then install them back on your car & wax them to remove fingerprints & protect them.
I can hear the comments already about the cheap paint. But I've been painting my car parts with it for years with no problem. As long as it has the Clear coat it works just fine.
I also painted my Spoiler, Hood Scoop, & Front Lip with this paint & I just bought more paint to do some more this weekend (Rockers, Mirrors & Wiper Arms...not sure about doing the Gas Door yet.
The Hood Louvers do look a lot better Black.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What ever you do...Don't use that Plasti-Dip Crap. It's UGLY if you ask me. Also peels & go ahead & get a little WD 40 on it & it will turn to liquid. I bought a set of Foose Nitrous Wheels that were dipped. Sprayed them with WD 40 & wiped it clean with a rag.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I didn't want to plastidip it. It doesn't looked good and doesn't go with the any of the other black I want like the spoiler. I'll try out the gloss black paint thanks!

lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:42 AM   #9
RTR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You can also try Autodip it's vinyl based instead of rubber based like Plastidip also comes out super glossy just like paint but still pealable . I used it on my 14 GT hood vents and it lasted perfectly till I sold it.

RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:48 AM   #10
RTR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
This is what gloss black Autodip looks like on the far right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1471078059.864104.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	204169

RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't look bad at all. I just don't like stuff you can peel off. Probably because I'm kind of clumsy in a way & I'd end up hitting it with a key or lighter or something & messing it up. If I get a minor scuff or scratch in paint I can just buff it out. But that's just me & has nothing to do with the dips.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
What ever you do...Don't use that Plasti-Dip Crap. It's UGLY if you ask me. Also peels & go ahead & get a little WD 40 on it & it will turn to liquid. I bought a set of Foose Nitrous Wheels that were dipped. Sprayed them with WD 40 & wiped it clean with a rag.
Because everyone randomly sprays their car with wd40...

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Keeps em free of rust! Lol!

@Hellish Horse, if it works it works! I've used Rustoleum w/o speaying a clear coat and like the results.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Funny Guys...LOL. I'm sure most people that work on cars use WD 40 at one time or another.
Who's thinking about their Plasti-Dipped parts when they're using it ? Not Me !!! Accidents happen & if you don't even know that WD 40 can do this it's More Likely to happen. You can spray WD 40 all over paint...No Problem. It was more of a tip in case he decided to use that crap.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Lol

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Funny Guys...LOL. I'm sure most people that work on cars use WD 40 at one time or another.
Who's thinking about their Plasti-Dipped parts when they're using it ? Not Me !!! Accidents happen & if you don't even know that WD 40 can do this it's More Likely to happen. You can spray WD 40 all over paint...No Problem. It was more of a tip in case he decided to use that crap.
Those who are ignorant to liquid wraps act like you. It's really not hard to care for just takes a little common sense

Our's:
Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well maybe someday I will finally see a Plasti dip job that looks good. But out of about 100 I've seen so far "0" looked good. I would never use it for that reason alone. My preference is paint....but to each his own.
It's kind of like painting an entire car Flat Black. 90% of the jobs look bad. Only a few have looked good.
I probably am a little ignorant to Plasti Dip as I've never used it....I've only removed it from parts I've bought.
Well....I got to get back to Painting my Front Lip (Flat Black w/ Satin Clear Coat).
Old 08-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well maybe someday I will finally see a Plasti dip job that looks good. But out of about 100 I've seen so far "0" looked good. I would never use it for that reason alone. My preference is paint....but to each his own.
It's kind of like painting an entire car Flat Black. 90% of the jobs look bad. Only a few have looked good.
I probably am a little ignorant to Plasti Dip as I've never used it....I've only removed it from parts I've bought.
Well....I got to get back to Painting my Front Lip (Flat Black w/ Satin Clear Coat).
At least you can admit you've never seen a quality job. Most of the ones I come across are crap, including jobs by "professional shops". It's not a replacement for paint but a cheap way to do temporary colors and patterns.

The whole time we've been discussing this i've been dipping my Racestars. Sick of the polished look. Just finished the pearl coat and am letting it flash before sealing with high gloss clear.

Our's:
Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
At least you can admit you've never seen a quality job. Most of the ones I come across are crap, including jobs by "professional shops". It's not a replacement for paint but a cheap way to do temporary colors and patterns.

The whole time we've been discussing this i've been dipping my Racestars. Sick of the polished look. Just finished the pearl coat and am letting it flash before sealing with high gloss clear.

I suppose we'll see a quality job once those race stats are done. Well, at least see as well as we can on a screen of a picture that could've been 'doctored' so as not to look bad? Lol, just being a wise a$$ lowflyn. I can see Horse's point though. Seen plenty of plasti-crap jobs but I wouldn't expect less when it's so easily available and easy to use. Like everything else, job done right makes all the difference.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
I suppose we'll see a quality job once those race stats are done. Well, at least see as well as we can on a screen of a picture that could've been 'doctored' so as not to look bad? Lol, just being a wise a$$ lowflyn. I can see Horse's point though. Seen plenty of plasti-crap jobs but I wouldn't expect less when it's so easily available and easy to use. Like everything else, job done right makes all the difference.
Not perfect by any means. Still figuring out the high gloss topcoat. Just a diy guy in my garage

Our's:
Old 08-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not perfect by any means. Still figuring out the high gloss topcoat. Just a diy guy in my garage

Looks good from here!
Looks like you didn't get full coverage on your tire with WD-40!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Looks good from here!
Looks like you didn't get full coverage on your tire with WD-40!
Trick i learned a while back. Tire shine on outside half of tire. Dip is thick enough to peel from inside half. Outside just wipe with a microfiber and it comes right off.

Our's:
Old 08-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have to say they look pretty nice colored. All the jobs I seen were Black & most were Flat Black which looked horrible. However, your rims look good !!! It's probably just the people not prepping right before dipping. It took me 3-4 paint jobs with lots of headaches to figure out painting is 75% prep / 15% paint / 10% Buff & Shine.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I have to say they look pretty nice colored. All the jobs I seen were Black & most were Flat Black which looked horrible. However, your rims look good !!! It's probably just the people not prepping right before dipping. It took me 3-4 paint jobs with lots of headaches to figure out painting is 75% prep / 15% paint / 10% Buff & Shine.
Much different results with gallons vs rattle cans. My dd body, trim and wheels has been dipped for over a year. Still looks as good as day 1. No fading or peeling.

Prep is key as well.

Our's:
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I plasti-dipped my hood vents a few weeks after getting the car. Matte black + glossifier. It looked good for about 9 months before it started to wear and fade. It is a pain in the rear to remove it from the vents, lots of nooks and crannies that it doesn't want to peel from. Wound up using a ton of wd40 and killed a good microfiber trying to scrub it all off.
I sanded and painted them afterwards with some trim paint, they look much nicer now and it should last forever.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1471309504.047077.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	204234Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1471309547.078379.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	204235
I'm a huge fan of Plastidip. Mostly because every summer I redo the appearance of my car and it's never permanent. I attached a pic of my chrome rims plastidipped black with glossifier on top. Plus I did the bottom balance of my car in black as well. The stuff is great for sun faded plastic and lasts a long time. Plus you can put another coat on top of it starts losing its sheen. Anyway, the stuff is great when you follow the directions and do it right

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Another option is that you can see if a shop will powder coat them for you gloss black. And it shouldn't be that expensive.

jordan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Can you Powder Coat Plastic ? If so....I just learned something new !
Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1472358633.573764.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	204626 this is what Google says

jordan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan16 View Post
Attachment 204626 this is what Google says

You have been educated. So have I.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You have been educated. So have I.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
+1!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Even if you can powder coat plastic it would make more sense to me to paint it.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine came from the factory gloss black, I just wax em.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

It looks good, but pardon my ignorance. Why does the lower portion of the rotor have a green tint & the very top-most next the caliper have the normal steel color?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
It looks good, but pardon my ignorance. Why does the lower portion of the rotor have a green tint & the very top-most next the caliper have the normal steel color?
Reflecting my green grass. Rotor is normal

Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT