Better sound system. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Better sound system.

Has anyone upgraded their sound system? I have the shaker system in mine which I think is pretty good for stock. The only complaint I have is that when its in higher volumes it's not as clear. Anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
so many ways to go here. Have a budget? I was looking at about $3,400 to swap to all Focal mid/high level speakers, 2 12" JL subs and ARC audio amps. Keeping stock radio. There was a cheaper quote for Kicker stuff. A more expensive one for another brand.

Couple Things:
1. Check speakers for a tear. A small tear in a speaker can really distort stuff especially at volume. I had one replaced when under warranty they didn't even see, I had to point out tear but I hear it. Probably not under warranty but if you listen to all speakers and isolate a bad pair it might be as simple as just replacing that pair with aftermarket
2. Know going in that the 8" door subs are very odd and as of 6 months ago no 8" subs fit that were worth anything. This means to really do anything you would swap these to speakers maybe even component and put a sub or two in trunk.
3. Like anything cheap prices get you cheap stuff. Car Audio is no different and may actually be the best example of this.

I have always had good luck with Rockford Phosgate for reasonable stuff. JL is good. a true audio shop will try to push you to high end stuff. I swapped the 4 speakers and added a 12" plus amped it all with a head unit for $1,800 in my Chrysler 300. Dont expect to do much good for an upgrade beyond that.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What brand would you recommend for the two door speakers?

lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't know about your speakers but here is the unit I bought to replace the Bose 500.

Stereo Upgrade
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo444 View Post
What brand would you recommend for the two door speakers?

If you are talking about the door 8" woofers I am not sure if anyone other than Focal makes a good fit for that and it is expensive plus probably needs more power than stock gives. You could use that spot for a good 2 way and the factory probably has enough power to feed a mid level JL Audio but if you go that route I would ask a few questions to someone who does it for a living first.

As for other door speakers if you are not going to amp it up just go with a decent mid level like Polk or Rockford Fosgate. if amping it up then they could still work but I would look more towards JL or Focal.

The thing is going to really good speakers but not feeding them enough power will be a waste of money and actually hurt the sound over a mid level speaker with proper power
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

I've done mine. Focal flax 3 ways in the doors (factory locations 6.5" in the 8" door sub location, 4" and tweet in the upper 5x8 location). arc audio ks300.4 on those (passive, bridged), an Audiomobile 12" with an Arc 300.2 on it, pioneer 4100nex. Aside from install problems. Which is an issue now. Depending on what your goal or budget is...id do a set of 2 way components, a sub and a 5 ch amp with a processor if I could do it again. And probably try to do the tweets in the sail panels. Which you could do for a decent price if you're resourceful.

If you do t want to add an amp or anything, there's some drop in co axials that'll work with the factory rig. Think they're Kicker, and others I'm sure JL, RF, Focal, etc. They're supposed to be somewhat of an improvement.

Want to do amps and custom stuff and spend a decent amount... A lot of options as far as brands and configurations. If so, you'll need to do something to correct the output of the stock head unit...dsp ,line converter etc (JL, Helix, Mosconi, jbl ms-8, Rockford 360.3, mini). The new jl twk looks decent and fairly reasonable.

Honestly I was disappointed in my set up after I got it back. Aside from install issues. The sq wasn't worth the money. A dsp is key. And I think a decent 5 ch class d amp (alpine, jl, etc would've been no different.) as well as keeping the stock hu and adding a dsp. Then one of those iPad mini dash kits later if you want. In hind sight that would've probably been a better/cheaper route.
Chris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris13 View Post
I've done mine. Focal flax 3 ways in the doors (factory locations 6.5" in the 8" door sub location, 4" and tweet in the upper 5x8 location). arc audio ks300.4 on those (passive, bridged), an Audiomobile 12" with an Arc 300.2 on it, pioneer 4100nex.
Great info man. Like I said I have been looking into but no pulling of trigger yet. This may point me into a bit of a cheaper direction which I appreciate. Only wish someone could have done same for you
Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
so many ways to go here. Have a budget? I was looking at about $3,400 to swap to all Focal mid/high level speakers, 2 12" JL subs and ARC audio amps. Keeping stock radio. There was a cheaper quote for Kicker stuff. A more expensive one for another brand.

3. Like anything cheap prices get you cheap stuff. Car Audio is no different and may actually be the best example of this..
$3400 without a head unit?!
Now I'm all about using the best stuff for your car, but I'll advise against spending a lot on the sound system in this car for one reason - It's a mustang. The sound dampening and noise reduction in this car sucks. Any gains you'd get from going to top level stuff will be lost in the car's terrible acoustics, road noise, and rattling panels (and for many of us, loud exhaust).
Most importantly, the head unit is a big part of the lack of sound quality in this car. It starts distorting heavily around half volume and has a weird EQ that you can't adjust properly.

You can do a very, very nice setup for this car for around $1500-2500, including a nice kenwood head unit, dash kit, Alpine 5 channel amplifier, 2 pairs of nice speakers, and a sub setup, and still have some money left over for sound dampening materials.
If you did that without the new head unit it would be $800-2000.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got a base model 13' GT, 4 basic factory speakers were horrible. I ended up upgrading the front door speakers to a set of pioneer 3 way speaker and added a 500 rms 10" alpine sub in the trunk. Audio in my car sounds so much nicer now and so enjoyable to listen to. You can upgrade the rear speakers too but doesnt really do much as you cant hear much of it anyway so doesnt really matters.

It doesnt have to cost much for audio upgrades, the front two pioneer speakers were on sale for $45 a set and with sub box, alpine amp n sub only ran around 300$. Also im still on stock head unit.

Forgot to mention, buy the parts yourself online, i ended up saving over 150$ doing so.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
At first I was against upgrading the stock head unit because of the price but after deciding not to upgrade the car to a newer one I've decided I'm going to do it. I'm thinking of going with a pioneer avh-4200nex and using the iDatalink Connec KIT-MUS1 Factory Integration Adapter. I'll also use the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module. I already upgraded the door speakers a while ago and I have a fosgate amp and 10" woofer for the trunk. The head unit, mus1 and maestro will be under a $1000.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #11

Be careful where you get the nex from. I got mine (4100) on eBay which was supposed to have been brand new. But it was probably a b stock and pretty messed up, their "warranty" was bogus and wouldn't honor it. I'll post the seller when I can dig the name up. The shop I went to to have the one I bought installed had the 4200 for $650. Which isn't bad considering the eBay ones are 500. And you get a warranty. Working properly, it's a cool unit though. Make sure your harnesses match the dash kit you get. I think there's one or two that won't match up with the other Scosch/idatalink or whatever.
Chris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:13 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Better sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Don't know about your speakers but here is the unit I bought to replace the Bose 500.

Stereo Upgrade

Wrong page, chief.

RIP Dick Assman•1934~2016
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris13 View Post
Be careful where you get the nex from. I got mine (4100) on eBay which was supposed to have been brand new. But it was probably a b stock and pretty messed up, their "warranty" was bogus and wouldn't honor it. I'll post the seller when I can dig the name up. The shop I went to to have the one I bought installed had the 4200 for $650. Which isn't bad considering the eBay ones are 500. And you get a warranty. Working properly, it's a cool unit though. Make sure your harnesses match the dash kit you get. I think there's one or two that won't match up with the other Scosch/idatalink or whatever.
Going through crutchfield and spoke with someone over the phone about everything I need to make it work. So hopefully they sent me in the right direction. Also when I chose the radio on their website, everything you need to install shows up in a separate bundle. I dont need navigation so that saves me some money right there. I chose the mus1 because the radio sits a little higher than the other two.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Going through crutchfield and spoke with someone over the phone about everything I need to make it work. So hopefully they sent me in the right direction. Also when I chose the radio on their website, everything you need to install shows up in a separate bundle. I dont need navigation so that saves me some money right there. I chose the mus1 because the radio sits a little higher than the other two.
IMO the Mus1 is the best and best-looking kit.
Kenwood has some very affordable head units now that work with the maestro adapter to include full HVAC control right on the radio. Some are under $300 on amazon now which is incredible.
You can get everything you need to replace the head unit with a quality unit and retain all functions for under $600, or go for something a little more advanced if you want.

A couple years ago when i first looked into this you couldn't really do it for under a grand.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #15

Region: New York
Or save some money, open up the exhaust a bit, turn the radio off and just listen to the "soundtrack of america".
imeyers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeyers302 View Post
Or save some money, open up the exhaust a bit, turn the radio off and just listen to the "soundtrack of america".
Some people need their music to sound good too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT