What clutch is good to upgrade to? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What clutch is good to upgrade to?

I am thinking of upgrading to this clutch over stock. Is it good? Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Mustang Clutch 07807LB (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

What flywheel should I get though? I want something not too expensive.
2010-2014 Mustang Flywheels | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping

I believe the clutch is ready to go. I have always had some kind of issue with clutch. Clutch pedal/car will shudder like it's stalling when launching in 1st gear. Too much rpm in 1st gear and it launches too hard. The amount of work with clutch now vs when I first got the car is day and night. I have slightly softer pedal feel but still firm. Only issue is significant amount of power loss during rpm climb. Never any grinding of gears, smooth shifts.
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Region: Indiana
I'm in the same boat. I've been reading about the exedy Mach 500. It seems to be a good balance from the reviews as far as performance and daily type drivability.
Chris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Funny thing is car feels better than yesterday but it's just a matter of time before clutch goes out, I had so much power loss esp in 3rd gear so I am staying under 3k for a while now. I also have several 93 octane tunes from different companies plus a tps booster. Yeah, I believe worn clutch is the result for the power loss.

Found this flywheel that I think I'll get with the Mach 500.

Exedy Lightweight Racing Flywheel 8 Bolt Billet
https://lmr.com/item/EXD-EF502/Exedy...-Mustang-96-14
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Go with McLeod! I had the Exedy Mach 600 and lightened steel fllywheel. I had to switch to the McLeod RXT when I tranny swapped and even though transmission is different not apples to apples I like the McLeod a TON better. TON. Even installer who does all my stuff mentioned the difference when I picked it up
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Haven't needed a clutch yet but I have my sights on the McLeod RST. Talked with rep at the AM show and he said what I've read numerous times...break it in right and it'll be golden. They had a car there with the RST in it and let me try it. It was like the clutch in my Focus!!! I was like "is this thing on!?!". I heard they were lighter than stock but dang, that was light light!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
Go with McLeod! I had the Exedy Mach 600 and lightened steel fllywheel. I had to switch to the McLeod RXT when I tranny swapped and even though transmission is different not apples to apples I like the McLeod a TON better. TON. Even installer who does all my stuff mentioned the difference when I picked it up
The McLeod clutch looks really nice, talk about pricey though. No wonder it works like a dream. Must be that extra disc. Yeah break it in gently under 3k for first 500 miles. I might get that I don't know yet depends how long my clutch will last. Clutch pedal is certainly softer and clutch engagement seems it is slightly slipping. Car certainly has it's issues and I don't even abuse the thing much. Like all the time when shifting to 2nd, release clutch, press accel pedal, I can feel and hear the trans hitting the shifter or maybe it's the driveshaft. I feel confident the car needs new clutch/flywheel. It's to the point where I would get an auto after the car is paid off and get similar to what I have.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No doubt it's an expense! I don't have comparative experience but instances like this, I tend to favor quality over price b/c it's not something you're going to swap out anytime soon and you want it to last a long time. Not saying anything against Exedy either b/c I don't know. If you're thinking of trading for an auto then the cheaper (cost wise) solution is probably the wiser choice for you.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...-kit-1114.html

I just recently put this clutch in my 2014 Gt and I love it! It grabs hard and for being a stage 3 it is not that much stiffer. I would recommend if you do get this clutch then also get the matching flywheel made by Exedy. You can resurface your stock flywheel but if you are going to replace the clutch you might as well do it right and also get a new flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jordan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT