superchargers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
superchargers

Hey there, thinking of installing a supercharger on my stock 2014 GT. But I was wondering about the reliability on long trips(20 hours +) how would gas mileage be effected? Any prolonged damage? Would love to have the extra hp, but I would like to go anywhere any time? Any thoughts? Thanx
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you aren't in boost mileage may actually slightly increase. Wear won't increase at all.

Frankly, if you want peace of mind on long trips, don't add complexity to the car. Everything will likely be fine but your head might get in the way.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Might see a slight decrease if you have to do fuel mods for the power. I can still manage 23-24 in the Cobra if I stay out of boost. Normally doesn't happen though.

With a spot on tune you will have nothing to worry about on long trips.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
A SC will not affect long trips, other than making you smile more often. If you control your right foot, gas mileage should be the same. Unless you're flogging it every weekend at a drag strip or race course, it will last as long as a stock engine. Everyone that adds a SC wonder why they didn't do it sooner.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I can't see anyone ever getting an increase in gas mileage from a supercharger, even if you stay out of boost the car still has to spin up the supercharger. You'll also generally have higher intake temps and more weight.
You might get placebo better mileage by "trying to stay out of boost" but probably just because boost gives you a definite ceiling to stay under.

That being said, plenty of people going on long road trips with a supercharger. As long as you keep up with regular maintenance beforehand you'll be fine. I wouldn't put the kit on right before a road trip though, you wouldn't want to have to sort out any post-install hiccups while on the road.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It happens sometimes, because of the increased volumetric efficiency at light throttle. Essentially, it can reduce the pumping losses in the engine. No guarantees though. The more efficient the engine you have is, the less likely this is to occur.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It happens sometimes, because of the increased volumetric efficiency at light throttle. Essentially, it can reduce the pumping losses in the engine. No guarantees though. The more efficient the engine you have is, the less likely this is to occur.
You'd have to be cruising at juuust the right RPM and throttle amount the whole time. I wouldn't tout it as a benefit, more like a possible freak accident that has a positive outcome lol
Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen it more than once....
Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
My MPGs actually went up by about 2 when cruising on the freeway with my Vortech setup under normal driving, staying out of boost. I compared it to the exact same route/driving conditions (150 mile round trip) as before the supercharger.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I got my Paxton in December. I am pretty much exactly the ame on long trips. Longest so far for me was 13hrs though. Still only difference is when i go to pass someone. Much nicer, lol. I didnt go crazy tracking but I did the exact same gas stops and everything this year with SC as did last year without when going to Mustang week. I do LOTS of weekend getaways in it. 2-3 hr trips and same is true there.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Because this may help his decision on this thread up ask this here (and move if need be). We're right around the corner from Black Friday. Did anyone have deals on the Paxton or Vortech last year? If so, what was it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
I can't see anyone ever getting an increase in gas mileage from a supercharger, even if you stay out of boost the car still has to spin up the supercharger. You'll also generally have higher intake temps and more weight.
You might get placebo better mileage by "trying to stay out of boost" but probably just because boost gives you a definite ceiling to stay under.

That being said, plenty of people going on long road trips with a supercharger. As long as you keep up with regular maintenance beforehand you'll be fine. I wouldn't put the kit on right before a road trip though, you wouldn't want to have to sort out any post-install hiccups while on the road.

You're not taking into account the tune. My MPG's went from 16 to just over 20 in the city when ***** footing it/out of boost. No placebo effect. The stock tune dumps more fuel than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've put about 20,000 miles since installation of procharger supercharger on my vehicle. MPG is barely affected as others have stated. I still have the stock 2.73 gears, and best I was able to get cruising with no traffic here in southern california was about 28 mpg which is pretty close to the epa rated of 29 mpg. Only suspension upgrades: eichbach anti-roll sway bar kit and front strut. Everything else is completely stock.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimguns View Post
Because this may help his decision on this thread up ask this here (and move if need be). We're right around the corner from Black Friday. Did anyone have deals on the Paxton or Vortech last year? If so, what was it?
Beefcake has some good deals. Team Beefcake Racing: Mustang Parts, F-150 Parts & Accessories
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

That's the route I went. Terry will take care of you.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
You're not taking into account the tune. My MPG's went from 16 to just over 20 in the city when ***** footing it/out of boost. No placebo effect. The stock tune dumps more fuel than it should.

Good point, but many/most don't go from bone stock to boost, most will do bolt ons/tune first and work their way up.
So if you were already tuned it is very unlikely you'd see better mpg (unless you went from a crap tune to a good one)
Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good point, but many/most don't go from bone stock to boost, most will do bolt ons/tune first and work their way up.
So if you were already tuned it is very unlikely you'd see better mpg (unless you went from a crap tune to a good one)

I went from the stock tune, to a boosted tune from Lund. I've monitored it since March now. A consistent 4 mpg increase. Stock exhaust btw minus an axle back. I'm sure if I lost the cats it would go down a smidge

Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went from the stock tune, to a boosted tune from Lund. I've monitored it since March now. A consistent 4 mpg increase. Stock exhaust btw minus an axle back. I'm sure if I lost the cats it would go down a smidge
Right, so if you went from NA tune to boost tune instead of stock to boost, you probably wouldn't see any increase and possibly a drop.
I'd bet you get better mileage without cats as the car isn't dumping gas on them to cool them off anymore.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right, so if you went from NA tune to boost tune instead of stock to boost, you probably wouldn't see any increase and possibly a drop.
I'd bet you get better mileage without cats as the car isn't dumping gas on them to cool them off anymore.

I'm not following you. I was on the stock tune beforehand. And you're probably right about the cats, although I might have a heavier foot lol.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not following you. I was on the stock tune beforehand. And you're probably right about the cats, although I might have a heavier foot lol.
What I'm trying to say is, since you were stock and went right to boost, you might gain some gas mileage by benefiting from the better tune.

If you were already tuned BEFORE getting boost, you'd already be benefiting from that extra mileage and would probably get worse mileage from adding the supercharger.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, since you were stock and went right to boost, you might gain some gas mileage by benefiting from the better tune.

If you were already tuned BEFORE getting boost, you'd already be benefiting from that extra mileage and would probably get worse mileage from adding the supercharger.

Ahhhh I gotcha. It's all relative to A/F's I suppose. One companies tune could run rich, as opposed to another's being lean even with the same mods. I was told before I bought the blower my MPG's would rise. Always a good thing when it's daily driven more than its raced.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhhh I gotcha. It's all relative to A/F's I suppose. One companies tune could run rich, as opposed to another's being lean even with the same mods. I was told before I bought the blower my MPG's would rise. Always a good thing when it's daily driven more than its raced.
I can't wait to see how much mine drops when I do cams lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT