Shifting Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shifting Issues

I have been running into some issues when i am at idle.

while crusing and coming to a complete stop (Stop sign or redlight) i get locked out of 1st and 2nd gear for some reason. Even after repeatedly pumping the clutch and trying to engage it does not pop into gears. My only way to move is to shift into 3rd.

Has anybody experienced this? i am thinking it may be the shifting bracket i installed.

i am running an SR performance shifter with the Barton shift bracket and 4.10s.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm assuming you are not trying for 1st at other than a dead stop....most cars do not go into 1st real well except at a stop. When mine does this I normally try 2nd or 3rd then it will go into 1st. It's rare for me.

clutch fully depressed?

not trying to insult
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Oh SR Performance lol

I have one. And was having a similar issue and this is how I fixed it.

Go to Lowe's in the plumbing department and get a rubber gasket. $2 for a large square. Make you a gasket by tracing the base of the shifter and that will raise the shifter an 1/8"

You might want to replace your spring in the shifter as well. $5 for a assorted pack from tractor supply company (still have to do this but have the springs)

What's happening is the shifter spring is so light that any pressure allows it to slip into the reverse lockout area and catches preventing you from hitting first or even worse, going into reverse.

I don't catch but rarely now but that's why I need to replace the spring too.

In all honesty though... Should have returned this POS and bought a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yes, 1st gear to launch at dead stop is the issue and i was thinking the shifter or bracket might be the issue.

i will get the gasket to see if that can fix the issue. shifter worked great at first but after 6 month use it gave me this problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Shifting Issues

Assume bracket is fine. Mine was nice and tight when installed (what a pain... Literally since I dropped part of it on my face lol)

I'll be swapping that spring while installing other stuff soon. Hope it fixes my second gear hang up I occasionally have.

Trying driving it with a very light touch and see if it helps until you do the gasket. I sometimes hold it sideways so I don't let the weight of my hand weigh it down.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know why i have bad luck with shifters. My barton snapped in half while doing normal shifting.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Dump the SR shifter/barton bracket and get an MGW. It'll feel like a completely different transmission.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i can't believe i never looked into one of those. that thing looks like it will throw the whole transmission through the windshield.

Definitly on the bolt on list.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Dump the SR shifter/barton bracket and get an MGW. It'll feel like a completely different transmission.
MGW is the best out there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Doing some research on them. Might have to switch out eventually.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
It really does! I didn't even have one of the "bad" trannys and it was worlds better. Literally made the trannys seem different, not just better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
To OP: I had this issue after a 2 hr trip. As I was exiting the freeway, coming to a stop at red light, I was unable to engage first or second. Had to start the car in 3rd, took it to dealership, but they were unable to diagnose because apparently the problem went away. I have the SR bracket. When I feel it wants to lock in first or second, while in neutral, pop the clutch, and it should "soften" it up again.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
To OP: I had this issue after a 2 hr trip. As I was exiting the freeway, coming to a stop at red light, I was unable to engage first or second. Had to start the car in 3rd, took it to dealership, but they were unable to diagnose because apparently the problem went away. I have the SR bracket. When I feel it wants to lock in first or second, while in neutral, pop the clutch, and it should "soften" it up again.
That actually sounds like your syncros were freezing up and locking everything down. I think "popping" the clutch just beat the syncros off of the gear so they could spin freely again.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #14

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I agree. I had a Barton and a blowfish combo and it was good for a while but the new MGW RaceSpec I have now is night and day!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #15

Region: Wisconsin
I have the same shifter in my 13, and had the same issue after the initial install. I simply removed the console, and loosened the 4 shifter mounting bolts, and slid the shifter as far towards the passenger side as the slop in the bolt holes would allow, and tightened it down, after applying a drop or two of 243 Loctite to each bolt.Haven't had the issue since. I assume that the shifter was just catching the reverse lockout detents. I do notice that third gear can be troublesome, as the gates are so close together. Once you get it fine tuned, you will find it to be adequate however, there are much better shifters available.
Racered427hp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT