5.0 won't stay running when it rains - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
5.0 won't stay running when it rains

It rained pretty hard today, and I started my car it was fine for a couple seconds then ran really rough and died. Then I started it again and it ran rough and died, about 6 times. Then it finally started running fine but threw a p061b code... when I got home from work I took off the filter on my aired and there was a bit of water in the intake tube, I wiped it out but the filter is still wet. Tried to start it again and it keeps running rough, also it won't go above 1400 rpm or so just sputters. I took the filter out to dry over night, but any one else have this problem? Also any solutions?
Massery94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re install your factory air box.

That'll probably fix it, it's better anyway.
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You need to contact airraid and ask them to send you the rain/water guard for your 2014. I believe that they offer it at no charge to 13 and 14 owners with their CAI.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
You need to contact airraid and ask them to send you the rain/water guard for your 2014. I believe that they offer it at no charge to 13 and 14 owners with their CAI.

Awesome! Just called them and they're sending it. Thanks man! My car wouldn't start right for 2 days, I was starting to get worried haha
Old 08-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

Region: West Virgina
Don't run your engine till you get all that water dried out. Water will not combust. You can bend a connecting rod on your engine by running it with water in the combustion chamber!
Lees1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees1969 View Post
Don't run your engine till you get all that water dried out. Water will not combust. You can bend a connecting rod on your engine by running it with water in the combustion chamber!
Yeah after I took off the filter and dried out the intake I got a ride to work
Old 08-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massery94 View Post
Awesome! Just called them and they're sending it. Thanks man! My car wouldn't start right for 2 days, I was starting to get worried haha

Glad I could help.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The amount of water you sucked in should not be a problem but FYI I drove my wife's Mercedes through about 6 inches of water a month ago and totaled the engine. As the Mercedes dealer explained it the water splashes up the front of the car and is sucked in by the air intake which is behind the top of the grill. Water doesn't compress and I broke two connecting rods, one of which came through the block. The Mercedes dealer had 14 cars after that rainstorm that had the same problem as I did. If you ever have to go through any standing water go very slow so it does not splash up and get into your air intake. Oh by the way my insurance covers stupidity and they paid all but the $500 deductible.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Did the same thing with a Taurus several years ago. Sucked water into engine after a bad rain. The loudest knocking you ever heard. Engine was gone. Insurance later replaced engine after deductible. Engine sounded like it was going to pull up.

Matt E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT