Tuner Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner Question

Hey guys, I recently traded my old 2012 V6 for a 2014 5.0. I have the Bama X4 tuner that I used to tune my old car. (I returned it to stock before trading it in) I've called AM and they said I could use it on the 5.0 but he couldn't explain well on how I could get tunes for it. Has anyone done this or know how? When I bought the tuner I know it came with that free tunes for life thing. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
lorenzo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If I'm not mistaken you'll have to go to AM site and purchase another Tunes for Life as the pervious TFL you purchased only worked with your old Mustang. Once you make the purchase you'll need to fill out the questionnaire with the specifics of your vehicle including the number off of your cars CPU.
tsidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay makes more sense. Can I buy a tune off another site like MPT performance instead and use that then? I heard their tunes are better anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo444 View Post
Oh okay makes more sense. Can I buy a tune off another site like MPT performance instead and use that then? I heard their tunes are better anyways.

You can purchase tunes from anyone that uses SCT.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on both those answers.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

and congrats on the upgrade
Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay and thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yup, any tuner using SCT,,.like VMP Performance.
Could you clarify how AM was unable to explain how their product worked? Sounds like maybe you spoke with someone that wasn't familiar with tuning maybe? Or they weren't able to explain it in a way you could understand b/c you're new to tuning? Don't intend to put anyone on the spot but it just jumps out at me that a product you purchased thru AM couldn't be adequately explained when you had a question.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner Question

I don't know he didn't seem like he was too eager to explain to me which was fine I knew I would figure it out. He was just like "uhhhh you need to call Bama and have them un-marry the tuner and then call us back" and I told him it that I had returned my car to stock so then he said "okay well you just need to place another order for the free tunes for life membership which is around $150." That's the part that confused me because I had told him that I already had the free tunes for life so I didn't get why he was telling me to purchase it again. I didn't know that the membership only worked on one car.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo444 View Post
I don't know he didn't seem like he was too eager to explain to me which was fine I knew I would figure it out. He was just like "uhhhh you need to call Bama and have them un-marry the tuner and then call us back" and I told him it that I had returned my car to stock so then he said "okay well you just need to place another order for the free tunes for life membership which is around $150." That's the part that confused me because I had told him that I already had the free tunes for life so I didn't get why he was telling me to purchase it again. I didn't know that the membership only worked on one car.

If you change vehicles, or if the tuner changes owners the same rules apply. I have debated and given my opinion over and over again.

I bought my my car with the tuner. The tuner is married to the same vehicle it was originally purchased for. It was a package deal. Bama and AM still feel that the tunes for life program needs to be purchased again.

Sadly, this is the general consensus among the majority of tuners.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well at least the call and talk to Bama part makes sense since not everyone at AM works at BAMA.
New tunes for life purchase for a new car is debatable I guess. I wonder if it's the original tune that takes time and once they have that on file its easy to change a few parameters? I'm lacking in tune writing knowledge. I'd like to think there's a reason other than "here's another way to get money" but I've been wrong before. Or, if you think that a person tuning their car (avg mustang owner whatever that is) might tune it 3, 5, 8? times before theyre satisfied with mods so then you have a cost per tune per sale of "tunes for life". Make that same # of mods on 4,5 or more cars one owner might have over their lifetime and the return on time invested dwindles. Arguably technology would advance enough to negate tuning with the same device over a 20,30 or more year lifespan of ownership so maybe that's a moot point. Wow, this is some droning dribble right here lol! Yeah, I'm waiting for my kid to finish up an interview lol!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

you can think whatever you want.....but they write tunes for a reason.

fwiw I think their version of "tunes for life" one car/one owner/no significant changes (ie turbo) is fair.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you can think whatever you want.....but they write tunes for a reason.

fwiw I think their version of "tunes for life" one car/one owner/no significant changes (ie turbo) is fair.
There are pros and cons of both ideas and thoughts. It isn't worth the debate though.

If I thought it would change someone's mind at AM I would discuss my opinion and rational. However, such a debate is not worth harming any relationship over. I prefer to keep a positive customer / vendor relationship. More is accomplished when everyone is on the same page.

I used to be in the aftermarket performance industry. I had customers that I hated to hear from, and I had customers I enjoyed talking with. The good ones always ended up with huge discounts, free services, and any other benefits I could provide.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

word.

a good relationship can do wonders. I live in a small town, every Holiday season my Love make great cookies and I go around and give them to folks I deal with often (Parts store/gas shop/barber/pizza/etc) it amazing how far that will go in good will. When we lived in a town with a bakery we even gave some to them...they had great bread but nasty cookies.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
word.

a good relationship can do wonders. I live in a small town, every Holiday season my Love make great cookies and I go around and give them to folks I deal with often (Parts store/gas shop/barber/pizza/etc) it amazing how far that will go in good will. When we lived in a town with a bakery we even gave some to them...they had great bread but nasty cookies.
One of my hobbies is competition BBQ. I normally make 20 or 30 pounds extra to take to people. You would think I had given them a precious and rare jewel. My Dr's office loves me.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I think tunes for life for one car is fair. I also think it is the misunderstanding or mislabeling that creates some bad customers. Forums are a good place to air out details and bring ppl up to speed so to speak. I can certainly see how someone who purchased "free tunes for life" would think it doesn't matter if they buy a different car. I imagine it's written in print somewhere but idk?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Personally I think tunes for life for one car is fair. I also think it is the misunderstanding or mislabeling that creates some bad customers. Forums are a good place to air out details and bring ppl up to speed so to speak. I can certainly see how someone who purchased "free tunes for life" would think it doesn't matter if they buy a different car. I imagine it's written in print somewhere but idk?
It is in the very fine print (you don't want to scare customers away) hidden at the bottom of the descriptions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT