Mustang Evolution Forum banner

13 mustang gt oil change

10K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Strange Mud 
#1 ·
What Oil weight should I use for my 13 mustang gt I've heard 5-20 and how many quarts do I need for the oil change thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
Your oil filler cap will tell you what weight oil to use. Unless someone swapped it out for some reason.

#14 ·
Cant seem to find it so I'll ask here if you don't mind sonicblewgt. I am considering going with royal purple 5w20? What are our guys thoughts would it be a waste of money or should I just stick to a cheaper brand? I also have a 2013 GT which this will be its second oil change it currently has 8,000 miles bought it with 6,900!

#21 ·
So little update I went with Motorcraft Oil figured I'd stay with stock oil (was on sale at walmart) and now I have a slight tick on start up :facepalm:. Never noticed it before, should I be worried? I am going to add another quart because I put 7 in and states takes 7.6 (could that .6 quarts cause the tick?) After going through what everyone recommends I missed that few people did say put 8 quarts!

#15 · (Edited)
this is an opinion thing....mine is that oil related failures are almost non-existent today. I buy whatever full syn is on sale but make a point to get my oil filter from the dealer I would bring the car to for wtty work. This allows me to become "friends" with sales/service there in case it is ever needed.

#16 ·
Oil

5W-20 Full synthetic, what ever is on sale when I buy, used Pennzoil last time, but Mobil 1 is good too. Motorcraft will be good too.
I'm involved in lubricants testing on the engine side so I'm familiar with the engine tests used to approve this, not the bench tests that you see published on some of the sites.
Recognize that oil drives the VVT and changes in vis grade may alter its performance.
That said any fully formulated motor oil that has the API symbol for SN will meet Ford's requirements, and you can be assured that it has a battery of test supporting its license.
I don't fret putting oil in my car and for 20 years oil related failures have been almost impossible to prove.
I use the full synthetic because I only do one change a year, and the vehicle will sit in an unheated garage most of January, February and March.

#19 ·
#24 ·
Lmao yeah id better trade ya then!

Yeah I kinda figured it was like the tick I had on my Hemi Ram truck done lot research on that one and pretty much every hemi had the tick. Which no one could prove it was a serious issue or what it was cuased by. I will try the fuel pump relay definitely worth a try.

#26 ·
You'll be fine with 5w20, 5w30, 0w40, 5w50, 0w20, 0w30....
It doesn't really matter much tbh. The cap says 5w20. 5w30 won't make much difference.
99% of mustang owners have no reason to run anything more than 5w30. Even track pack owners, unless you're road coursing the car, 5w50 is excessive.

#27 ·
I just use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and the correct Motorcraft filter and change once a year. The car runs great, the oil stays pretty clear and I have no ticks. 22,200 miles on the car.

I think people over think what oil to use. Like someone above said, how often do you hear of an engine dying because of any oil related issue. Hardly ever.

Wayne

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I just use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and the correct Motorcraft filter and change once a year. The car runs great, the oil stays pretty clear and I have no ticks. 22,200 miles on the car.

I think people over think what oil to use. Like someone above said, how often do you hear of an engine dying because of any oil related issue. Hardly ever.

Wayne

#32 ·

Wayne

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Wayne

But Will a oil filter last a whole year? I ask because I don't really drive much (probably 3k-4K miles a year) But change the oil twice a year for that reason.

#31 ·
Rotella

Rosella is shells formulation for diesels.
Buy motor raft or major marketer synthetic and you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.