H-Pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
H-Pipes

I know there's a lot of subjectiveness on which setup sounds best. With that said is there a big tone difference between aftercat H-Pipes from different brands?
I have pype bombs and like how loud they are but I'm trying to cut out some of the rasp..maybe Mac prochamber, heartthrob flow pack cat-to-axle, or mbrp xp series h-pipe?

Any input would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Region: Arizona
I think the pro chamber would do better than a regular H. or swap out your pypes for magnaflows.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
Cardweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No subjectiveness, H pipe sounds better, that's y they come w one from the factory! Haha.
I can't imagine any H pipe sounds different from another enough to be able tell the difference. The Mac Pro chamber is a little different since it's a chamber (from my understanding) so there is more volume in it than the H piece of pipe. I almost went with the Mac but if I remember correctly, they don't offer a true 3". I have a Borla 3" touring catback which came with an X pipe, switched out the X for a MBRP H pipe. Honestly I could've lived with the Borla X on that system, it's nice, some rasp but so much more mellow than other systems I've heard. The H pipe gives a little more rumble, especially with back pressure when downshifting.
I think the Mac Pro chamber is seriously worth considering though.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thanks guys
I looked into the macs and it seems they have some quality issues and you were right they don't offer a 3".
Beviking how do you like the mbrp?

5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I like it! Really good quality, clamps that came with it are beefy. I'd definitely buy MBRP products again. Actually, thought about trying a set of their Axlebacks but read there may be drone. No drone w borlas.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Old 04-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have stock h pipe with stock resonators and Flowmaster Outlaw Axlebacks and I love it. It sounds like a true muscle car. Not raspy at all. I may try cat deletes but I worry about the stench.

Boss302PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Stench and a whole lot of nasty sound (imo)...
You may like the sound but any I've heard and many threads say once the cats go the sounds goes too, in that it turns to raspy & blatty noise. If you can swap them out n back in if you don't like it, go for it and see.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
You may like the sound but any I've heard and many threads say once the cats go the sounds goes too, in that it turns to raspy & blatty noise. If you can swap them out n back in if you don't like it, go for it and see.

I've seen that many have the same opinion as you and now I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about Cat Deletes. I may not do it after all. Although the muffler guy will only charge $40 to install them I don't wanna spend $150+ dollars on a part that will eventually collect dust if I don't like the sound or smell.

Boss302PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you guys haven't had or heard an offroad setup that sounds good you need to get out more I'm sorry.

My old combo was a basic whatever H pipe (pace setter or something) and Dynomax Ultra Flow catback. Sounded glorious. No rasp or anything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Maybe on the 3.7. My car sounds pretty Damn good with car deletes

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you guys haven't had or heard an offroad setup that sounds good you need to get out more I'm sorry.

My old combo was a basic whatever H pipe (pace setter or something) and Dynomax Ultra Flow catback. Sounded glorious. No rasp or anything.
I've stayed away from off-road pipes due to NY laws. Not sure I'd pass emissions tests with one.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I've stayed away from off-road pipes due to NY laws. Not sure I'd pass emissions tests with one.
Aftermarket H pipes with high flow cats (one cat per side) should be louder/better sounding than the stock midpipe and still pass emissions in most cases. X pipe setups on all the overhead cam engines seem to be raspy. It sounds wet and slappy LOL. I have and offroad H on mine, but I wouldn't be too unhappy if they started doing emissions testing again. I'd just opt for the catted H setup I mentioned.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Admin deleted classified post
You can't post that here.

Quote:
It wouldn't be easy, trust me.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
You can't pass emissions without one regardless. Even if you could pass the sniffer you'd auto fail the visual. It is a federal crime to remove/modify ANY emissions equipment so even the 2 catted aftermarket pipes are technically illegal. Why I stopped running O/R pipes honestly. Not to mention there is little to no power loss with a fresh set of high quality cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You can't post that here.

It wouldn't be easy, trust me.
I got you fam.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #15

Region: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Aftermarket H pipes with high flow cats (one cat per side) should be louder/better sounding than the stock midpipe and still pass emissions in most cases. X pipe setups on all the overhead cam engines seem to be raspy. It sounds wet and slappy LOL. I have and offroad H on mine, but I wouldn't be too unhappy if they started doing emissions testing again. I'd just opt for the catted H setup I mentioned.
Kook's Long Tube headers and their GREEN catted H-Pipe are going on my 2013 GT, Emission legal in 49 states.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Kook's Long Tube headers and their GREEN catted H-Pipe are going on my 2013 GT, Emission legal in 49 states.
That's gonna sound great!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
That's gonna sound great!
That's what I would do if I go with aftermarket headers.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The Kooks green cats will still throw a CEL thus not allowing you to pass emissions.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tune, no CEL^
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Kooks green cats will still throw a CEL thus not allowing you to pass emissions.
It's my understanding this won't happen with a tune. I'm pretty sure Kooks made the green cats to be emissions compliant.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
It's my understanding this won't happen with a tune. I'm pretty sure Kooks made the green cats to be emissions compliant.
They did
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Quote:
They did
Haha! Posted before seeing your reply mustangz
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Tune, no CEL^
Quote:
Wrong. Go over to mustang6g and ask all the guys running the green cats with tunes about it. It's a major problem for them.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

With longtubes and all the o2 ****... just run dummy cats to keep any cop that pulls you over happy and tune for no cats.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wrong. Go over to mustang6g and ask all the guys running the green cats with tunes about it. It's a major problem for them.
They all have the same tuner?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They all have the same tuner?
Different tuners leaving the rear o2's on. Guys are installing the Kooks green cats and then getting a CEL for cat efficiency.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, why would kooks waste time and $ to make a green cat that isn't compatable and won't pass emissions?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT