Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Back to the track

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  5LHO 
#1 ·
So last year I ran a best of 12.9 with JLT and tune (unknown)

This year after install of boss manifold and a new VMP tune and LCAs from BMR I got a first time pass 12.6

Pleased to say the least, and I bet if I kept launching in the right lane (left was like ice for whatever reason...I bailed twice as I started to slip sideways) I would be able to get that down to a 12.4. Had a blast up at Epping, NH on Wednesday Receipt Text Font Material property Label

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you had a good time but your mph is way low for a Boss Mani car with a tune for it. Was it really bad air or are you auto on stock converter or is the red limit not raised?

I did 115 all stock motor with a 91 tune only, in good air. Stick car with factory 3.73s. My current auto has made only 113 but it hasn't seen a really good air day n/a.

#6 · (Edited)
What do you mean? Any pd blower loses the mani and anything else really doesn't care whether you have a Boss intake or not. FI.will make any manifold efficient.

Back on point. The Boss with the factory converter isn't great but you're doing OK ET wise, despite that. My auto did a best of 12.4 na, stock with Vmp tune, for comparison. It was frustrating that it came out so soft and that was what limited it from going quicker. I'm still concerned your mph is weak, even for a fully stock car on the stock tune. I've seen stock autos break 110, on a good day. The stock tune lasted about a week in mine so I don't have stock times to share as an exemplar, sorry...

Trying to help, the low mph could be caused by a couple things: Your car could be really heavy (although mine is a fully loaded premium, too) so, what's your track weight? What was the Density Altitude the day you made the passes, iow, what was the air like? Really hot? Did the tuner you have raise the rev limit? The Boss is useless without adding some rpm on the top end to take advantage of it.

#7 ·
Well I want to address the track first ... The prep was and always has been pretty horrible at NED I've been only twice but in BOTH times everyone was spinning tires and not hooking, so I dunno where the "good track nice NED" comes from because myself along with about 6 others that went with me all noticed and complained that at least one lane was dangerously slippery and the other wasn't great.

The temp was fine, a little humid but not unbearable. The Mustangs that run up here at NED are kinda on par with my times... But I agree that I should be in the 11s. The car is tuned by VMP and the redline has been adjusted and was shifting at around 7250-7500 rpm.

Most cars I have seen that are running FI (pro charger etc) rock the boss manifold also so I was planning that route if not I'll ditch the boss and slap a VMP twin screw on... But first things first I want to see why it's so slow right now and I don't have an answer for you. The car is running great on the street and idles and drives awesome. But I need to go back to the Dyno also because on last update (before VMP retuned) I was losing HP and torque! Lund tuned and said my car was fine but losing 20hp and 20 or so trq is NOT fine. I went to VMP and I need to see if it's any better.

At the track I'm still smoking SRT8 challengers so I'm happy LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 ·
Yeah, spinning ain't winning so, that may have sapped a little mph but, not much.

You won't get 11s on the stock converter n/a, no way, no how. The power is there (I did it on my stick 2012 with just a tune and tire) but, the converter is totally holding you back.

I'm smoking Hellcats with my little 100 shot....:)

#10 ·
I think that's totally safe...keep in mind if you are planning FI down the road, particularly PD blower, you'll struggle for traction massively with that plus a high stall converter.

#13 ·
Well, he was stock....:)

#18 ·
I went almost 112 (auto). Bone stock except 295 rear NT05
road course tire.

#15 ·
Good idea to make the most of n/a. 100 shot puts me right at the cage limit thus far so, that's as quick and fast as I want my dd to be.

#16 ·
So I went out and BOOSTED the bullet. I was able to obtain a really good deal on a Procharger stage 2 kit and went back to the track a couple months back. I was able to cut a 12.0 at 122 MPH... on my street tires and heavy *** 20" wheels. My converter is definitely holding me back as is a set of GOOD drag radials. That trap speed is no 12 second car lol. We will see what next season brings with radials. The converter is still likely a year away...

#20 ·
I went over 115 at 11.9 on tune and tire, on a loaded 3.73 stick car. It's all about the 60 foot. I pushed my auto past it's tight converter with 100 of spray and that did 11.4 at 120.6. Also a tune and tire fully loaded car. Get some tires specific to the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.