Long Tube Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Long Tube Headers

Im looking to get some long tube headers but don't have much information on them. I have a couple questions, the ones I am looking at are JBA 6685S 1-7/8" Long Tubes. I have heard that installing long tubes will cause the O2 Sensors to go bad every year is that true? How is the fitment with these headers who have them? How are the power gains? I will be tuned by AED, currently running an offroad H pipe. Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger on these? ALso, if anyone can share there knowledge on shorties and the power differences between them. My Main goal is power! Pretty much want to know the pros and cons lol Thank you!
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Kooks can help with O2 since they are mid length. I wouldn't go any other route. You'll end up paying the amount for kooks with fried O2 sensors, trust me I wish I didn't know that by first hand experience
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Shaun @ AED recommends the Kooks mid lengths and I agree with him. You won't have any o2 sensor issues with the Kooks.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like I will have to save up for the Kooks then! I found the JBA for like 300 used, kooks are going to 1k+ Thanks for the help! Any knowledge on the shortys??
Old 09-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I got the Kooks headers on Black Friday sale for under $900 shipped through AM last year.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't bother with shortys unless you plan on using a turbo kit that uses stock headers.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

If you are running a flex fuel or ethanol tune then you will have issues with the 02's on every header. The kooks help mediate this a lot better bc of the o2's placement, so less chance of them going bad(but still a chance).

Performance wise you will be hard pressed to find the difference between most of them on the street. I have speedmaster headers I bought on sale($220shipped) and ran another guy who had Kooks headers. We were neck and neck, I could not pull away from him, he could not pull away from me. We were both equally modded just different tuners. He had one of the big name company tunes that everyone seems to run(won't name them to avoid opening that can of worms) and I am running my own tune.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

IDK if i want to risk putting crappy material on the car, headers are a pain to install, don't want to keep taking them off to fix problems. I'd rather do it right the first time and have a peace of mind that nothing is going to break or leak on me.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
IDK if i want to risk putting crappy material on the car, headers are a pain to install, don't want to keep taking them off to fix problems. I'd rather do it right the first time and have a peace of mind that nothing is going to break or leak on me.
There is a ton of people running the Speed Master headers. I haven't seen a single thread about them having workmanship or material issues. Mine are running strong and put them through multiple back to back Mexico pulls so you can bet I put them through continuous abuse.

They are a pretty big brand in Australia and make good stuff. There is zero need to spend 6x the money for Kooks. You could buy the Speed Master and have them installed for half the cost of the Kooks. Hell you could afford to buy them again and installed once more before you spent the same amount of money as the kooks. At that point if they failed yet again, you could buy them once more and have them installed and now you have spent the same as you would have if you would of bought kooks and had them installed. But this is all highly unlikely, the headers will prob outlast your ownership of the car.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
There is a ton of people running the Speed Master headers. I haven't seen a single thread about them having workmanship or material issues. Mine are running strong and put them through multiple back to back Mexico pulls so you can bet I put them through continuous abuse.

They are a pretty big brand in Australia and make good stuff. There is zero need to spend 6x the money for Kooks. You could buy the Speed Master and have them installed for half the cost of the Kooks. Hell you could afford to buy them again and installed once more before you spent the same amount of money as the kooks. At that point if they failed yet again, you could buy them once more and have them installed and now you have spent the same as you would have if you would of bought kooks and had them installed. But this is all highly unlikely, the headers will prob outlast your ownership of the car.
I haven't heard of this brand but i will definitely do some research on them, thank you! have you had any O2 issues with these?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't heard of this brand but i will definitely do some research on them, thank you! have you had any O2 issues with these?
I havent had a issues yet, but they have only been on the car for 2 months now and I run <e60

There is a guy on ACMR right now complaining about Kooks, the weld on his primary broke off and is leaking right at the head after only 15k. They want him to pay to take them off, pay to shop them, pay them to weld it shut and pay to have it shipped back, then pay for them to be put back on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 8.08.17 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	204949  
Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
'A' guy.

One person.

Sounds like grounds for slandering all over the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
'A' guy.

One person.

Sounds like grounds for slandering all over the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Well, there was only that one guy at the time of the post who was complaining. That screenshot was taken right as I made the post so his issue is not a opinion, the weld broke, he called them to complain and have them fix it. Those are facts.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard from several people that the fitment on the speedmasters was off. Pipes had to be dented or washers had to be used on engine mounts to get them to clear.
The header install was difficult enough, don't need to be messing with things just to make it fit. I'd rather pay extra for headers with proven quality, proven gains, and that FIT.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Long Tube Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
I've heard from several people that the fitment on the speedmasters was off. Pipes had to be dented or washers had to be used on engine mounts to get them to clear.
The header install was difficult enough, don't need to be messing with things just to make it fit. I'd rather pay extra for headers with proven quality, proven gains, and that FIT.

Bingo you get what you pay for. Had kooks for over a year with no issues no rust or any leaks. Install was in and done on a lift in 5 hours with lunch in the middle with a buddy.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I heard about the fitment issues with some brands as well. Wouldn't denting the pipes mess up how the exhaust flows through and cause any tune issues, maybe knock sensor issues?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Headers

I put BBK's on when I first got the car. The issues I had on install were not fitment, mfg quality. The lug for the O2 sensor harness ground broke off and I had a hell of a time getting it off and finding a new lug. FYI, if you need a crimp lug for #2 wire, ACE hardware carries them. The way it broke, I had to cut both sides of the lug with a dremel, lying on my back under the car, took two hours and there was some finess in getting the driver side header in, you had to rotate it 90 degrees and then it popped right in.
10 k since no leaks, looseness, etc.
Let the excoriating begin!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I heard about the fitment issues with some brands as well. Wouldn't denting the pipes mess up how the exhaust flows through and cause any tune issues, maybe knock sensor issues?
You would think, but motor trend proved you can dent the hell out of headers and it won't matter. As long as the overall length and primary size, and collector design is right for the car and your mods, it will make power even with horrible dents.

The advantages to a quality set are longevity, "ease of install", and a bit more power due to better overall design.

I say "ease of install" because headers suck to install on these cars no matter what, but cheap ones make it even worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT