BMR Panhard Bar - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
BMR Panhard Bar

This past week I lowered my 5.0 on some eibach pro kit springs along with the koni yellow shocks and struts as well as a bmr panhard bar. The installation was done by my local shop. The car sits just right now except the rear axel has shifted slightly to the driver side. It's nothing crazy but it's noticeable if you're looking at it. When I brought my car back to the shop for an oil change I asked if they could adjust the panhard bar to center the axel a little better. While the car was on the lift one of the mechanics called me over to tell me that adjusting the bar wouldn't move the axel back into place. I was really confused by this because I was under the impression that the whole point of an adjustable panhard bar was to have the ability to center the rear axel after it shifts when you lower the car. Now I'm pretty new to all of this. This is the first car that I've ever lowered so I wasn't going to start arguing with the guy that has much more experience than me. The mechanic said he could tighten the bar but it wouldn't do much. I told him to leave it alone. I have a feeling that he didn't really know what he was talking about. What do you guys think about this?
Tyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The BMR panhard bar adjusts the body of the car, not the rear axle. Still if done right it should be even on both sides. You can adjust it with the wheels on the ground.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The BMR panhard bar adjusts the body of the car, not the rear axle. Still if done right it should be even on both sides. You can adjust it with the wheels on the ground.
So you don't need to raise the car to adjust the bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No, you can adjust the panhard with the car on the ground. I am lowered on Sportlines, and used the panhard bar to get my axle centered. It was 1/4" off after lowering. Your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about.

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if you don't want to bring it back....you can do it yourself (or with a buddy) on ramps.

as already mentioned...this may not be the guy to bring it for suspension work
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Is it safe to assume you got an adjustable panhard bar?

Did they check and/or charge you for an alignment?

If you see the mechanic again maybe you should ask him if he knows what an adjustable panhard bar is.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Is it safe to assume you got an adjustable panhard bar?

Did they check and/or charge you for an alignment?

If you see the mechanic again maybe you should ask him if he knows what an adjustable panhard bar is.
Yes they did. For the total instillation plus alignment they charged me $800. I wasn't very happy with this. I didn't purchase caster camber plates so they weren't really able to align the front wheels. They showed me a print out of the cars alignment and it showed the front left wheel with -1.3 camber and the front right with -1.6 camber. I was concerned by this but they told me it would be okay as I don't put on a lot of miles in a year. And yes the panhard bar that I purchased adjustable.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyd123 View Post
Yes they did. For the total instillation plus alignment they charged me $800. I wasn't very happy with this. I didn't purchase caster camber plates so they weren't really able to align the front wheels. They showed me a print out of the cars alignment and it showed the front left wheel with -1.3 camber and the front right with -1.6 camber. I was concerned by this but they told me it would be okay as I don't put on a lot of miles in a year. And yes the panhard bar that I purchased adjustable.

You can get camber bolts at a later date they'll be fine as they can adjust up to about a degree and only cost 30$. With an adjustable Panhard bar you can have some one stand behind the back of the car and have them check both side while you adjust it to make it center.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyd123 View Post
Yes they did. For the total instillation plus alignment they charged me $800.
Holy smokes.. $800! You could have paid me $400 and I would have driven up to New York and done it for ya! lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
For the panhard bar centering i would use a plumb bob, not just someone eyeballing it. Typically the most difference you'll see will be about a quarter inch, won't really see that eyeballing it from behind.

Just tie a small weight to a string, hang it from the fender and measure to the center of the wheel on each side. Adjust until even
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
It doesn't need to do much. Doesn't take a whole lot to put it back on center. It's not hard to do yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT