Storing my car for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Storing my car for winter

Hey all

So I will be storing my car for the full winter in a garage (Chicago winter sucks for cars) and I was wondering what can you tell that will help in storing my car. The plan is as follows: Full tank of gas with a treatment, Oil change, nitrogen tire fill, Good wash and wax before covering it, brillo pads in the exhaust (for any mice that get in the garage) Battery charger (do I charge this in the car or remove from under hood and charge on the floor) Any other tips you all can give?

Thanks
AdmiralX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I would connect the battery charger directly to the battery, and not use the ones that plug into the dash.
Also, make sure your battery "charger" is a battery "tender" that shuts itself off when the battery is at full charge, then comes back on if the battery weakens again. I do think that leaving the battery in the car is the way to go, and does no harm.
There are those who pump up their tires to 45 or 50 PSI to prevent flat spotting, or put the tires on a piece of carpeting or wood to keep the tires off of the concrete. I have never done that myself.
I have both started a car in storage once every two weeks (getting it good and warm each time by running it at 2,000 rpm for 15 minutes) and left the car sit for the entire winter......and there will be advocates for both here, I imagine. That is going to be up to you. I do think that starting the car when it is below freezing (or below 0) does more harm than good.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've stored my car in my garage for winter for the last 4 years, what I do is fill the tank, drop in a bottle of fuel stabilizer, hook up my battery charger/tender directly to the battery and role my car a foot from where it was sitting once a week. I also like to start her up every once in awhile but thats just me. My garage is heated which aslo helps.
Starting a car when at 0 or below 0 shouldn't do any harm to it as we start cars every single day in winter at sometimes -25. My winter car (99 honda civic) is used only once in awhile during the winter and sits outside as its not our primary car with no issues. 220k and still purrs like a kitten lol.
Op sounds like you'll be fine with your plan, I would leave the battery in the car though.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Region: Illinois
Thanks for the info guys. When I stored my wife's 99 mustang I left it sitting in the garage for five years (we got busy starting a family) and this year I got her running and the work I put into her was because of the storage time sitting. I don't want to have to do that again so I want to make sure when I put both Mustangs in hibernation I do it correctly.
AdmiralX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Storing my car for winter

[QUOTE=Guard 5.0;2393263]

take the battery out & store in someplace warm.
i got a new battery & the whole side of the case came off after only a week outside.

NOT sent from my iPhone 7+ ☹️
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
moth balls...moth balls everywhere! In your exhaust tips, inside the car, inside the engine bay, just put them everywhere...plenty of moth ball guides if you look around the inter web
Old 09-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
moth balls...moth balls everywhere! In your exhaust tips, inside the car, inside the engine, just put them everywhere...plenty of moth ball guides if you look around the inter web

MOTH balls?! oh dang.
my moms gonna flip!
...think she'll notice???
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1473794528.069657.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	205043
Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've done things vet similar to FastFord13 and also have heated garage. I would add that in my 4 yrs of storage, I've found Stabil 360 to work the best. I say this based on how the engine runs out of storage. I start it every two weeks to warm up. When warm weather comes, I stay off the throttle until at least one full tank is run through. With Stabil 360 this past winter, car ran strong right out of storage, no hiccups. Previously used Startron, Stabil ethanol and Seafoam.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Kind of glad I live in AZ. No Storage Required !!! If I were to store it I'd probably do June, July & August as it hits 120 here at times.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Kind of glad I live in AZ. No Storage Required !!! If I were to store it I'd probably do June, July & August as it hits 120 here at times.
Rub it in Hellish Horse, rub it in! Lol
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
What is this seasonal storage I keep hearing about? That doesn't exist in GA.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post

Sleepy Time Up North
Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post

My only consolation is every spring I feel like I'm getting into a new car. Those first few runs with the SC pumping power still gets my left leg shaking like a dog getting its belly rubbed.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I uses dryer sheets for the engine bay and put 1 atop each tire. I regularly put mothballs around the perimeter of the garage. I also have mouse traps in the garage. I fire my car up once a week or so, getting it to operating temp. If it gets wicked cold 0 -10 degrees F, I'll bring the battery indoors.

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You guys have to worry about winter storage. I have to worry about squirrels storing their nuts in the airbox and other semi enclosed places. That is a year-round battle.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you Revvv, I too go to battle all year long, the mice are relentless but the dryer sheets and mothballs seem to be working.

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

That's the only thing I like about the cold: no bugs bugging me;
the beavers & gophers were bugging my dad on the ranch this year, plus, putting up with me...
poor old man lol
Old 09-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
MOTH balls?! oh dang.
my moms gonna flip!
...think she'll notice???
Attachment 205043
I hope so. I'd think your mom knows the difference between a tennis ball and a moth ball.

On subject: there's a bunch of good data out there on the interweb on how to store a car for the winter. If you have a garage, I'd consider buying a "bubble". These are inflated with air, and provide a great seal against rodents, humidity, and other harmful contaminants.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I stored my ride last winter for 6 months with moth balls everywhere, was hell getting the smell to go away in the interior. I thoroughly cleaned the entire interior including shampooing the carpet, and still have a slight moth ball smell even today after 6 months out of storage. Anyone know a sure fire and quick way to get rid of moth ball odor?
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
I stored my ride last winter for 6 months with moth balls everywhere, was hell getting the smell to go away in the interior. I thoroughly cleaned the entire interior including shampooing the carpet, and still have a slight moth ball smell even today after 6 months out of storage. Anyone know a sure fire and quick way to get rid of moth ball odor?

Search online; there's tons of tips

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Mustang Evolution app
Old 09-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
Moth Balls should be left for the exterior. In the interior you should use scented dryer sheets.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT