Keep my gt or upgrade to boss? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Keep my gt or upgrade to boss?

Like the title states I have the opportunity to purchase a '12 boss with about 30000 mi on it. I have lightly modded '12 GT with about 45000 mi that I owe $3000 on.

I would like to build a road course car so the boss is appealing to me on top of the fact that I've always thought it was a pretty cool car all around. But I don't know if it would be worth it to sell my car and upgrade to the boss. I would be increasing my debt about another $8000.
Would it be more cost effective to build up my GT or go for the boss?
5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #2

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.Shark View Post
Like the title states I have the opportunity to purchase a '12 boss with about 30000 mi on it. I have lightly modded '12 GT with about 45000 mi that I owe $3000 on.

I would like to build a road course car so the boss is appealing to me on top of the fact that I've always thought it was a pretty cool car all around. But I don't know if it would be worth it to sell my car and upgrade to the boss. I would be increasing my debt about another $8000.
Would it be more cost effective to build up my GT or go for the boss?
Thought about it myself at one point. It does not pay whatsoever unless you have to have a Boss. A GT engine will handle track work all day long. I have the 2014 track package which has a lot of the Boss stuff but you could get a boss radiator, and boss oil cooler which will handle cooling for the track. That's about $550. If you wanted to go crazy you can add the 3.73 Torsion rear end which really helps on track for $1000. Suspension wise, once you change the shocks, springs, sways, etc the boss has zero advantage as far as suspension. A set of steeda springs, koni yellow shocks, sways and control arms, and your gt will run circles around a Boss on factory suspension. So for under 5k (less if you do the installs yoyrself)you turn your gt into a pretty good track car. Not including wheels and tires of course. Even guys that have a Boss usually end up tearing it apart and change everything for track work.
imeyers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I think I'm leaning more towards keeping the 5.0, having a boss would be awesome just being able to say I own it but all in all I think the 5.0 is more than enough for me and any tracking I'll be doing right now
5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.Shark View Post
Yea I think I'm leaning more towards keeping the 5.0, having a boss would be awesome just being able to say I own it but all in all I think the 5.0 is more than enough for me and any tracking I'll be doing right now
I have the 2014 Track Pack. I added Steeda sport springs, Steeda HD strut mounts, Koni Yellows, Steeda lower control arms and upper control arm with mount, Steeda watts link, Steeda sway bars, BMR control arm relocation brackets, Steeda rear X Brace and front G brace. Car handles on rails, drives great on the street, and can run circles around a stock suspension boss on the track. Even if I got the boss I would still have to do all that. The only real difference is the slightly beefed up internals but with the money you are savings you can do forged rods and pistons that arw even stronger than the boss as well as a full suspension setup. That being said it will never be a Boss 302, even if it's faster or handles better so if that matters then there really isn't much of a choice.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a brand new Boss 302 Engine Oil cooler I ordered from AM but never got around to putting on. Paid $139.99

Make me offer I can't refuse and I won't.

They also sell the transmission cooler which I DID install. You can do it in 5 minutes on jack stands.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I happened to see a boss at a Ford dealer along with a GT350. I'd never go from my new 14GT to a used boss.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Honestly, the Boss is a factory bolt on GT, and if it is used on a track, everything unique to it other than the engine internals get replaced with the same stuff we all use, including a setrab oil cooler to replace the factory oil cooler (which is actually a heater).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Would only consider the GT500 rather than a Boss. Unless I total the GT and need a replacement then either a Boss or GT500 would be alright by me. But if I'm gonna trade the GT in it would have to be a GT500.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Information taken from Bossmustangsonline.:
Here is a summary of upgrades/changes from the GT for the 2012 Boss 302:

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust
Suspension
Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
Adjustable Struts/Shocks
25MM Rear Anti-roll bar (GT is 24MM)
Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
Unique traction control system settings
Unique electronic stability control settings
TracKey - Additional Key that enables the PCM setting of the 302R (dealer flash required)

Body
Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe
Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter
Small Rear Spoiler

Interior
Alcantara Steering Wheel
Unique Shift ****
Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)
Cloth Door Panel Insert
Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish
Unique Guages
Unique Door Sill
11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed
Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Brembo 14 inch vented discs front
Boss specific rear compounds pads rear
Vented Brake Shields
Unique ABS tuning
Reinforced Brake Lines
Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels
Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ask any of us who own a Boss if we would step back to a GT or wish we had bought a GT500. I have yet to hear anyone regret they made the leap. The engine in the Boss is really something special and way more than just the sum of it's parts.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Suspension can be changed.... But the Boss engine does have some nice tweaks to it inside.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Ask any of us who own a Boss if we would step back to a GT or wish we had bought a GT500. I have yet to hear anyone regret they made the leap. The engine in the Boss is really something special and way more than just the sum of it's parts.
Yes but after the fact, if you already have a GT, you can take the car well beyond a Boss for the money difference to go from one to the other, and yes that includes the engine. Once again that being said, it will never be a Boss 302 regardless of what you do to it. To some that matters. To others not so much. For 5k you could build a GT engine to far exceed a Boss and that includes CNC heads and full forged rotating assembly good for up to 1000hp. With the other 3k you can easily outdo the stock boss suspension. Value wise the boss will retain its value far better but once again that only matters to some and it will lose its value the further you take it from stock.

Some boss guys you can't even talk to. I have a friend with a bone stock 2013 Boss and refuses to admit that my car with full steeda suspension, watts link, konis, etc, with a stage 2 procharger and 600+whp would run circles around him. All you hear is the boss, the boss, and he's so concerned about the value that he does not want to modify one thing. Won't even tune the car or put an oil Separator on it. To each their own.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

All true. If you would be substantially happy with the Boss for what it is, I would recommend it. If you plan to go way beyond it wouldn't make since to alter the package much, a base GT as a race car would be less expensive. The Boss does have a few foibles that are easily and reversibly cured that do protect the car, as the oil separator and the Blowfish rear shifter bracket. Also, a few Steeda touches as the Boss Springs, RLCA's,etc. protect the driver with even more predictable handling and again are reversible to protect the car's value. I can tell you from personal experience that people go nuts seeing the Boss at stoplights and nearly fall out of their cars trying to get a better look, and TracKey gives it that excellent lopey idle. The only answer I can give for sure is to own more than one Mustang and believe me if I had more space I would be adding several more to my modest collection!
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
All true. If you would be substantially happy with the Boss for what it is, I would recommend it. If you plan to go way beyond it wouldn't make since to alter the package much, a base GT as a race car would be less expensive. The Boss does have a few foibles that are easily and reversibly cured that do protect the car, as the oil separator and the Blowfish rear shifter bracket. Also, a few Steeda touches as the Boss Springs, RLCA's,etc. protect the driver with even more predictable handling and again are reversible to protect the car's value. I can tell you from personal experience that people go nuts seeing the Boss at stoplights and nearly fall out of their cars trying to get a better look, and TracKey gives it that excellent lopey idle. The only answer I can give for sure is to own more than one Mustang and believe me if I had more space I would be adding several more to my modest collection!
1000% true. Bone stock it's the nicest mustang to ever come out of ford, but if you are going to modify everything, it makes no sense to take the stuff you are paying extra for on the boss and rip it all out. As far as presence, the boss definitely has it, however I have found that driving just about any modified mustang snaps necks wherever you go. Especially when they hear a blower. Whichever one someone owns, we are all very lucky to be able to drive the kind of cars we drive and to be able to modify them the way we do.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
I almost owned one but with the money I put into my GT I could care less about a sticker that says boss302. Because once I get back from Europe and I finally add my turbo my GT will be set. I got a new 14 GT for 27K. No way I would pay that for a used boss302 when I'm going to mod the hell out of the car anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT