Camber plates/bolts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Camber plates/bolts

I thought I had something in my tire because my light came on and turns out the tread is actually worn down to the wires on the inside of my front tires. First question: I have some camber bolts would those be ok to use or do I need to buy camber plates? I've heard some people hate the bolts but I'm not sure why I also don't know too much about this stuff obviously. Second question is will it hurt running my stock 18" wheels up front and my 20" wheels in the back until I can get new front tires for the 20's?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
My personal opinion is that camber bolts are a weak point and should be avoided. I know that others are using them and will disagree.

As far as the wheels go as long as the outside diameter of the 18s tires are the same or close to the 20s tires you will be fine.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When I had the front end shop adjust our camber I asked them about camber bolts. They stated that they felt these are unsafe. Bolt head because of the design can snap off. They corrected the camber on our car by slotting the hole in the strut to adjust camber. Other wise camber plates are the answer. I bought some camber bolts after we had the alignment done to see what they looked like. I wont be using them.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have the bolts just never used them because I had heard negative things but wasn't really sure why. So camber plates aren't really necessary and alignment can be done without them?

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If you replace the strut mounts with the gt500 style and mount them 180 out (arrows pointed out instead of toward the motor), your camber will still be within factory specs. Much cheaper than camber plates and more reliable than cheap *** bolts..
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN View Post
If you replace the strut mounts with the gt500 style and mount them 180 out (arrows pointed out instead of toward the motor), your camber will still be within factory specs. Much cheaper than camber plates and more reliable than cheap *** bolts..

I already have koni yellow struts for 11-14 so if I got the gt500 mounts I would also have to replace the struts right? That's why I figured camber plates would be a cheaper option. Saw a guy online is selling a set barely used for $200 shipped

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes you cannot use 11-14 struts on gt500 mounts
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2014 now not lowered yet, but I had a 2006 gt and put Eibach pro kit springs and nothing else, after a few thousand miles
the inside of the tires were wearing . Added Eibach camber bolts and a fresh alignment and it was in perfects specs for 3 years no uneven tire ware. Will do the same soon on my 14. I think its fine for normal street use.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Camber bolts will get you in spec but I don't trust them. They are typically much thinner than stock bolts and have been known to back out and lose your camber settings.
Plates are many times over a better option, but definitely more expensive.
We're talking about mustangs here, so more often than not, if the part doesn't make you faster in a straight line or have any bling factor, it will be cheaped out on
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Haha well I have the bolts already but I think I'll go ahead and buy the plates after reading about how they're thinner I'm kinda the same way

Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

They wont break, ask Eibach,you will save a lot of money.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I had the Eibach camber bolts in my last mustang. Not the way I wanted to do it, but oh well. They stood up to about 1 1/2yrs of daily driving, and several trips to the track. Had no alignment issues and they were still doing thier job when I sold the car. New owner still hasn't had any issues. In my experience they work as advertised and had no failures. It's just not the ideal way to deal with camber adjustments. Both my current mustangs will get mm cc plates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've had bad experiences in the past with trying to save money here and there I would rather just spend a little more now and be sure it's right plus peace of mind

Old 09-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Camber bolts are called crash bolts for a reason. They can and have failed. And if one does fail on you God help you.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Camber bolts are called crash bolts for a reason. They can and have failed. And if one does fail on you God help you.
Yeah this. Sure some people have used them with no issues, but even if it's a 1% chance of failure, it's not a chance I'm willing to take to save a few bucks.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have camber bolts. Honestly I may of not even needed them. First shop I went to said they couldnt get my car into alignment after i did suspension. Got the bolts and they argued with me about putting them in since they are not to factory spec(but they also said that they would only use dealer parts on my last car) but finally put them on and then couldnt get much adjustment out of them. My tires started to wear so I went to another shop and they laughed at the fact that the other couldnt get me aligned properly because they had no issues. I went with bolts because I dont course race, only drag. Plus I went with BMR after talking with them on the phone and their bolts are barely off from factory size, closer than other bolts around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
In my experience, both camber bolts and plates will work fine, but the plates are going to be the much better option. As another poster pointed out, GT500 strut mounts should work too, as long as you are not lowered more than 1.5" in the front, and they are much cheaper than the plates. You just need to install them "backwards" and your alignment should be in spec.
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT