CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

I've always wondered about adding a CAI and have been told repeatedly that these days they are a waste of money. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm not going to say anything on the issue. If you're interested in what Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak has to say about it, you can see it in this video. Skip to 4:45 to hear what he says about the CAI. Pretty eye opening. .

Drive safe!
The Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I run them for looks and sound only. I've had them on a number of vehicles over the years and have never noticed any improvement in anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have only noticed a difference with boosted applications. When I say boosted I mean a factory boosted import with a stock box versus an after market intake.
jncastillo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
I run them for looks and sound only. I've had them on a number of vehicles over the years and have never noticed any improvement in anything.
Many times there is a loss of HP when the intake is swapped.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
My tuner told me to save my money and i did, even my EB, the CAI was 400 bucks and gained like 5 hp.... Wasn't worth it to me, but my wife likes the noise lmao
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The PMAS intake is currently the only one worth getting
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Watch the magical thinking the other way too, folks, supporting loss of hp claims for CAI or what intake is "worth getting". It's the same kind of limited data set that leads thousands to believe any aftermarket CAI benefits these cars.

My data set is simple. I took two S197s, one manual and one auto, one n/a with no mods but a tune and tires and turned an 11 sec 1/4. The auto got 100 shot of spray and made low 11s at over 120 with no other mods but a tune and sticky traction. It's a limited data set, sure but, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get much better from adding an aftermarket CAI. Plus, it's hilarious when I open the hood at the track and people see the stock airbox, manifold, headers, cats, etc.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

PMAS cold air intake - Track times results

Or...

http://youtu.be/L6ir0UUtzBU
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said, limited data set. There are lots of videos showing dyno improvements from CAI intakes of every brand. There's plenty of "dragstrip verified" improvement claims from all the CAI manufacturers/retailers as well. I applaud Derek@Lethal for trying to verify gains (even though there is an obvious conflict of interest since Lethal sells these intakes) but, these runs are within the range of variation one typically encounters at the strip with no changes between them, if you accept the correction factor. Lots of variables can lead to better or worse ET/MPH at the track, especially since they used a manual car. An auto would have helped isolate better the power improvements if any. You also simply can't, as he does, try to disaggregate ET from mph.

In the main, limited data set and inconclusive results make it a shot in the dark whether there will be any benefit from adding this intake. Every car breathes a little differently.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would say the results are quite conclusive, almost 5mph in the quarter and 10-15 peak hp on a dyno. You can mention the conflict of interest all you want, the drag times were not done by a vendor, and my local tuner (who i also happen to be friends with) had similar findings to lethal
Old 09-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I lost 2 tenths with the JLT Intake at the track. Back to the stock airbox and the times improved to where they were before.

As far as the testing on that PMAS intake I need to see more to make a conclusion but a 5 mph pickup seems highly unlikely.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just wanted a good looking Cold Air intake at first because of claims by many about the positive and negative performance gains, but then I decided to add a BBK 85MM Throttle Body with a 93 Octane race tune. I think the combination is great for my '15 GT. The throttle response and all is incredible. I'm very pleased of how well she runs now. What I am saying is I believe there is an improvement when the throttle body allows more air allowing the CAI to perform as expected with a proper tune of course.
'15 GT w/PP - Deep Impact Blue - SR Performance X-Pipe w/Steeda 3" Axle-Back; Steeda ProFlow CAI without insert; BBK 85MM Throttle body; Bama 93 Race Tune; Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support System, Alignment Kit, Support Braces, Urethane Differential Bushings, and Vertical Links; Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft; Ford Racing Short Shifter; JLT Oil Separator; AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic oil, AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 Rear Diff Fluid, Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid.
Mimi15GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody finds it a little weird that he makes 5 mph up uncorrected and then the correction puts all the times nearly in alignment...?

Old 09-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Unless your engine is drawing a higher volume of air than stock, an open filter without the airbox cannot provide a benefit on modern Mustangs. Unfortunately the intake air gained will be heated by the engine, and everything is still regulated by the MAF sensor.

I data logged my stock air box with the silencer in tact. The intake air temp was exactly the same as the outside ambient air temperature.

I found an old air box off of a totaled Mustang that was left at my dad's a few years back and experimented.

I first removed the silencer, and the air was not as consistent in regard to temperature. Air forces through the radiator and adds heat at slow speeds.

For a little fun I cut the box in half so it would function as a shield. Again I ended up with higher air temp numbers, but this time the fluctuation was not there.

Last, I ran the K&N open, without any airbox surrounding it. As I expected, the air temp was higher than with the air box.

Ford did a good job designing the air box and intake. If you port and polish the heads, get a better plenum, throttle body, and a higher flowing lower intake plenum you will not gain anything with an aftermarket intake except hot air. If you bore and stroke the lower half of the engine even more air will be needed, and then a true cold air intake can be useful.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

EYE & EAR Candy
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi15GT View Post
I just wanted a good looking Cold Air intake at first because of claims by many about the positive and negative performance gains, but then I decided to add a BBK 85MM Throttle Body with a 93 Octane race tune. I think the combination is great for my '15 GT. The throttle response and all is incredible. I'm very pleased of how well she runs now. What I am saying is I believe there is an improvement when the throttle body allows more air allowing the CAI to perform as expected with a proper tune of course.
What good is an 85MM throttle body when the opening in the intake is only 80MM? The answer is none and more money pi$$ed away.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I don't know much about air induction technology but the product marketers spend a lot of time and money trying to convenience the buying public that their products makes everything better. Having said that, getting more air into an intake makes for more power but you have to consider how the management system works on a car also. More air means you need more fuel, more fuel means the timing needs al little tweaking so you need a tuner. One thing will lead to another and in a lot of cases buyers will end up with several expensive parts and accessories that haven't done much except reduce your pocketbook.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Why Spend $$$$ ?????

The Stock Ford Airbox will provide all of the air you will need if you only change your Exhaust system.
Ford did a great job designing it and it does drew cold air into it from the grill area.
It is just that the CAI intakes such as an AirAid just looks soooo great when you pop the hood open and when you get on your car, The sound is perfect even with a 3.7 V6.

Did I need this "NO"
Did I want this "YES"
Do I like everything about my AirAid CAI 100% "YES"
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070118.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	205318   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070116.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	892.1 KB
ID:	205319  

Old 09-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The stock air box on a stock motor, is all you need.
As more mods are added, the stock CAI ( MAF ) can be maxed out.
Other limiting factors also have to be addressed, T/B, headers, injectors, etc.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
2011 - lightly modded to 776rwhp
&
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Nobody finds it a little weird that he makes 5 mph up uncorrected and then the correction puts all the times nearly in alignment...?
I'm selling my PMAS intake on ebay right now. IATs were way too high with or without the heatshield (heatshield fits like crap and causes false knock since it's wedged against the engine), I'm talking 50 degrees F above ambient at idle even with me heat wrapping the MAF housing. Yes it cools to ambient at about 60mph but you can definitely feel the loss of power. I didn't test it back to back with the stock intake, but I ran my slowest times ever when I went to the track with the PMAS intake installed. I was losing about 2-4mph on the back half compared to my usual stock intake runs.
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #21
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
CAI Waste

+1 on the higher et's went back to stock air box a long time ago.
Had the CAI on for about a month, sold it for a third of what I paid for it, but that was a cheap lesson!
And yet when I see hoods up at the strip, that's all I see!
Even when confronted with mounds of data, true believers will find a way to rationalize their choices.
I found most people aren't looking for sound advise, they are looking for validation.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not really a waist if you like it.
I like my AirAid because it does seal against the hood.

Here is some information on CAI's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

There really is not much to say about them.
Ronnie[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
I found most people aren't looking for sound advise.
I see what you did....

As Ronnie said.....get them for "candy" at a used price and they are worth it. but in the HP gained per $ spent even at $0.00 it's a negative number.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Not really a waist if you like it.
I like my AirAid because it does seal against the hood.

Here is some information on CAI's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

There really is not much to say about them.
Ronnie[COLOR="Silver"]

It's waste* and yes it is a waste because the stock air box is already a cold air intake it even says so on the intake. Been tested and proven before that there is no better box than the stock one.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Nothing in this world is a WASTE if you want it.
Joaquin_ii - Nothing against you but your opinion sucks.
With What your saying,
A Corvette is a waste because it only has room for two.
A Mustang is a waste because you have a very hard time using a baby seat in one.
Italian food is a wast because it make people fat.
A Cold air intake is a waste because it sure don't hurt nothing but it do look good under the hood.
A tune is really a waste because the car still runs without one.
You do get the idea now of what I'm saying.
If a person wants something, and works to pay for it.
IT IS "NOT" A WASTE>
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Not opinion broseph it's a fact. Search for the results with aftermarket intakes and see if any of your thoughts hold. Now to clarify it's a WASTE if you buy it for performance. Looks? Yea I looks cool when you pop the hood but you can't sit there and type away that it's worth buying for anything other than looks
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

We all know it is not for performance on a stock engine that is not souped up and modified.
If you do a search you will find that some forum members did a very through test and found that fact.
All i'm saying is it is "NOT" a waste of money to the Mustang or any other brand of car owner that want one.
Do you need it ????"NO"
Do you want one ?????"If you do - It is not a waste because you wanted it and now you got it.

When I was young, I was really wealthy,
I spent a lot of money on Wimmin, Beer, Motorcycles and cars. Spent a lot on travel.

The rest I just waisted.
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well listening to the chief engineer say the stock shifter is better than anything in the aftermarket caused me to not care about anything he had to say. We all know how crappy the shifters are in these cars. But to be on topic all I did was add the airaid tube to clean up the engine bay a bit. No need for a hot air intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
We all know it is not for performance on a stock engine that is not souped up and modified.
If you do a search you will find that some forum members did a very through test and found that fact.
All i'm saying is it is "NOT" a waste of money to the Mustang or any other brand of car owner that want one.
Do you need it ????"NO"
Do you want one ?????"If you do - It is not a waste because you wanted it and now you got it.

When I was young, I was really wealthy,
I spent a lot of money on Wimmin, Beer, Motorcycles and cars. Spent a lot on travel.

The rest I just waisted.
Ronnie

We must have misunderstood each other at some point then. We agree that it's not for performance, that was my point and it seems you know that.. good talk!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No Problem here, This is what the forum is about.
Talking about stuff we like or don't like and why.

I have learned a lot on this forum
Ronnie
Old 10-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Everything aside, the chief engineer isnt going to say, "yeah we did an ok job but you can do better." Its their product, of course they'll say its the best. That said, I agree with basically everyone haha. Gains are negligible at best, get it if you like it. Any gains come from the tune, not the intake. Grab one used, like some have said, if you want one. I got my JLT true carbon fiber intake for $150. I can sell it for that. No way I'd have spent $300+. I also don't race, so everything I've done to the car is a "waste," but I enjoy it. I think the highest my IAT got above ambient was 15 degrees at idle, and they go back to ambient as soon as I'm moving, even at 20 MPH. I did however keep my stock box so that I can go back if need be.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly if someone has the money to spend and wants it then I don't see why not..
Sure the money could go to more relevant mods but to each their own.
5.Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I watched a video of Jay Leno's Garage and his 2013 Boss 302. Jay Leno had one of the Ford Mustang engineers on the video and specifically ask if changing the factory air cleaner for an aftermarket would produce more power and or performance. The engineer said no it would not.

kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
I watched a video of Jay Leno's Garage and his 2013 Boss 302. Jay Leno had one of the Ford Mustang engineers on the video and specifically ask if changing the factory air cleaner for an aftermarket would produce more power and or performance. The engineer said no it would not.

Even though it is true that CAI does not produce any additional discernible power, you can't trust a Ford engineer who was in charge of building the Boss to tell you that "of course our design isn't the most effective and efficient and that a $20 filter will produce 20-30 more horses."

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

We """ALL"""know by now that the consensus is that a CAI on a stock engine the aftermarket CAI's do not produce much if any performance at all.
**************************************BUT***********************************************
Almost all of us that bought one knew that before the purchase.
I bought mine for the looks when I pop my hood open and for the great sound when I floor my throttle.
This is one of those posts that should be read from the beginning and not picked up at the end after everything that could be said was already said.
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai, cold air intake