Roush Axle Back - Have 'em? Like 'em? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Roush Axle Back - Have 'em? Like 'em?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a couple of these to put on a 2014 GT and I was wondering how people out there liked these. I've not heard much bad about them, however, I saw a picture somewhere of one that was fairly new and badly corroded. If you have a pair on your car, do you like them?

Thanks in advance!
The Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have them and they're awesome. I have stock exhaust other than that and they really are awesome. I'm possibly getting an h pipe this week and if I do I'll be selling mine because it's just way too loud for me with the off road h pipe. I'll put the stock ones on and sell the roush until I can get the gt500 mufflers. If I get that h pipe I'll let you know. As far as corrosion I think they already took care of that with a small drain hole in the bottom so water doesn't sit in them

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You should hear the Flowmasters on my 2012 Shelby GT500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT500.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	205294  
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
They sound good if you haven't done any other exhaust mods. Once you start with removing cats, resonators, adding longtubes, etc, they become obnoxious and blatty
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
My 2013 Roush RS3 came with them..I loved the sound so much I have put them on my 2016 GT Calif. Special...Never had any rust problems
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

Region: Virginia
I put Roush axle back on my 2011 V6 and it sounds gooood, some have ask if it is a V8. It does have a drone at around 70-80.

Richard
rdwill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

Region: Pennsylvania
roush axlebacks

get nothing but compliments.
rmoeslein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

I have them on a 2014 GT auto. I'm really happy with them.

A friend of mine has the GT500s on an almost identical car. I like them better. Not enough to switch. If I had it to do over again I'd get the GT500s.

Listen to both in real life (not on a YouTube video) and decide.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
the drone at 80 is the only complaint I have, but now that i've had them on for a while it's calmed down a bit. I don't even hear it anymore with music playing. other than that I love them. not too loud, not too quiet. It peaks and pops at 3k and i just love it.
rupzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

Region: Illinois
Have Roush on my 2011 5.0 GT and I like them. They are quiet when cruising but loud when you hit the loud pedal. They sound great but it's not like the old school 5.0 rumble, because the firing order is different. At idle my wife says it sounds like my boat (which has a Fox Cobra motor). If anything, I would like to go slight louder just because I like to make noise but I've had people ask me if they are legal because they are so loud.
Top_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My favorite part of the Rousch. Loud at WOT, like thunder.

But the GT500s sound better in my opinion cruising. Personal taste. I don't drive around kicking it all the time.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I used to have the roush and loved them, only issue is the rust. Mine see all weather conditions so I wanted something that would last long. I had 6 months with my roush and was getting rust already even with the "fix" that has the hole on the bottom of the axle backs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not an issue for me in California. Then anyone should take this into consideration. I thought these things were 100% stainless steel (except for the tubing).
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
I used to have the roush and loved them, only issue is the rust. Mine see all weather conditions so I wanted something that would last long. I had 6 months with my roush and was getting rust already even with the "fix" that has the hole on the bottom of the axle backs.

Were the mufflers themselves corroding or was it further up in the tubing? Stock exhaust has baffles that could hide rust from inside the exhaust system. The rousch mufflers are practically straight through.

Just curious, I'm not doubting what you are saying since I don't live in the same conditions that you do.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It was barely starting to rust, decided to sell before they would get really bad and if I waited no one would be interested in buying rusted axle backs. There's different types of steel and with the roush I knew they wouldn't last me long. Search roush axle backs rust and you will see a lot of them. I don't have complaints about the sound they sounded perfect, but that's the only thing that made me sell them. I went with magnaflow street quads and these are top quality axle backs even tho they are so quiet compare to roush.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I guess I'm only familiar with stainless steel. It doesn't rust under normal conditions. Maybe Rousch is lying about the construction.

My stainless steel sink doesn't rust. Maybe it would if I left salt on it for weeks.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, just did a Google image search "Roush axleback rust" and came back with a few too many bad pictures and links to threads describing customers getting the runaround when they tried to get this dealt with. Well, back to square one. I guess I'll look into Magnaflows or something.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
- Voltaire
Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think if your car is always in the garage and only sees sunny days, you should be good. Now if it sees all weather conditions it should be a problem. Also I just saw the roush is made of 409 stainless steel and the tips are the only thing that is a 304 stainless steel which is better grade material. The 304 is rust resistant and it's durable, which I understand why roush made only the tips 304 so it wouldn't rust like the axle back.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Love mine. Had them now for four years and still.look good.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
Yeah, just did a Google image search "Roush axleback rust" and came back with a few too many bad pictures and links to threads describing customers getting the runaround when they tried to get this dealt with. Well, back to square one. I guess I'll look into Magnaflows or something.
Honestly I would try and find a pair of borla S-types on eBay . Brand new they're way overpriced but I just bought a pair for 400. Can't beat the quality and sound of borla

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith129 View Post
Honestly I would try and find a pair of borla S-types on eBay . Brand new they're way overpriced but I just bought a pair for 400. Can't beat the quality and sound of borla

Boorlas are awesome. I forgot all about them. I hadn't thought about ebay.

- Voltaire
Old 09-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
Boorlas are awesome. I forgot all about them. I hadn't thought about ebay.

Yep it took me a while to find a deal but they're out there for sure

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have them on my 2014 GT for almost 2 1/2 years and have the smallest of rust on the mufflers. Also, I have zero drone at any speed so don't understand how someone else did unless they have other exhaust mods. I think Roush is the best sounding axle back on the market for a stock 5.0 IMO.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
I have them on my 2014 GT for almost 2 1/2 years and have the smallest of rust on the mufflers. Also, I have zero drone at any speed so don't understand how someone else did unless they have other exhaust mods. I think Roush is the best sounding axle back on the market for a stock 5.0 IMO.

i think there's only drone for the v6, i may be wrong though.
rupzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupzo View Post
i think there's only drone for the v6, i may be wrong though.
Ahh yes that could be.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have them and I love them. I get compliments all the time. Some on here are saying there is a done which is incorrect. I have had cars with exhausts that drone these don't. At 80 you hear the exhaust s bit but it is not droning. They have a great time just cruising around and scream when you throttle it.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
I have them and I love them. I get compliments all the time. Some on here are saying there is a done which is incorrect. I have had cars with exhausts that drone these don't. At 80 you hear the exhaust s bit but it is not droning. They have a great time just cruising around and scream when you throttle it.
So no rust on yours? I ask because you live in a state with a lot of rain and I was wondering how well they held up.

- Voltaire
Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well the car doesn't see much rain since it sits on a garage and I try to avoid it when I can. They have been on the car for over two years and I have had absolutely no issues. Like others have stated roush added little drain holes so I think that helps.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Have them. Love them.

Loud when pushing the car, like at WOT, mild when cruising, say on the freeway at 70. Lots of compliments. Always being to how nice my car sounds.

I have had them for 3 years. No rust. But, mine rarely sees rain or bad weather. Garaged over the winter. So out of the last 36 months, they have been parked for about 12.

I also have the Boss quad exhaust which I feel made them sound even better.

I have heard from this and other forums that they do sound great with stock exhaust. Not so much if you start making changes to other exhaust parts.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have had them for about two years. I do like them. I would like to try the GT 500's It makes it hard to talk o the phone when driving. However, i never listen to the radio with all the music in the air.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I originally had them on my 14 GT but after awhile, they got too loud for me so I went with the GT 500's. A few months after that I found a set of GT500 over the axle pipes that don't have resonators and now it sounds perfect to me.

Wayne
Old 11-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #32

Had Roush on my 2014 but got tired of drone noise and went with Corsas

DCGT5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT