What is the purpose of an Oil Catch Can / Seperator ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
So a Tuner doesn't really give you much H.P. It just makes it possible to use whatever performance parts you add. That's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I did all kinds of stuff to my 94 GT & No Tune was ever required. Now, if you even just add a CAI you have to have a tune. I personally don't like what they've done. I prefer the No Tune Required like the old days. You should be able to at least change your exhaust & CAI without needing a tune. Having to buy a Tuner makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off for $400. Especially since you can only use it on 1 car.
If they made them so you could use them on any car over & over.... it would be a much better investment. Time for the computer hackers to do something good & unlock these things so they can be used on the car of your choice.

The 5.0 nets about 25-30whp plus the other performance gains.

My 2013 Mustang GT with CAI, Boss mani, cat delete pipes, 3" exhaust and 93 race tune got 423.1whp up from about 365-370whp stock. Never dyno without mods so no baseline. So with all my mods I gained about roughly 53-58whp.

Drive shaft nets you no additional hp but may add few hp to the WHP because of less rotational mass. It just frees up existing parasitic losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What does the manufacturer have to do with an aftermarket tune.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
So a Tuner doesn't really give you much H.P. It just makes it possible to use whatever performance parts you add. That's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I did all kinds of stuff to my 94 GT & No Tune was ever required. Now, if you even just add a CAI you have to have a tune. I personally don't like what they've done. I prefer the No Tune Required like the old days. You should be able to at least change your exhaust & CAI without needing a tune. Having to buy a Tuner makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off for $400. Especially since you can only use it on 1 car.
If they made them so you could use them on any car over & over.... it would be a much better investment. Time for the computer hackers to do something good & unlock these things so they can be used on the car of your choice.
Not entirely true. Yes, the tuner allows you to use your mods, but it also helps your car make the most out of them.
For example, if you installed headers without a tune, you might get 10 more hp. If you installed them with a good tune, you'd get 15-20 more hp and extra power through the entire powerband due to properly adjusted cam timing, etc. The more you have done, the more the extra hp from the tune adds up, especially with a good dyno tune. So ultimately you can make much more power than the old "no tune required" days.
With the SCT tuners, you can also uninstall it from one car and move it to another several times without issue. You wouldn't want to re-use the same tune on the other car of course, but you can re-use the device.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
And I thought this thread was about catch cans.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Let's just bring this down to reality. Any engine that produces 400 hp out of 5 litres is going to be tuned closer to the edge than one that produces 200 hp. You aren't going to see big jumps from tune only in an n/a car but, you also don't have to replace almost all the major components and add a blower to make power like what this engine makes in stock form.

You have ALWAYS had to tune for mods that were worth a damn. Back when I was rebuilding Quadrajets and Holleys this was true and it's still true today.

Nobody is sitting in Ford corporate like Dr. Evil and saying, "Muwahahaha, how can I get the car buyer to spend $400 on a tuner?" They don't give a **** if you tune your car. They produce a product that meets emissions, noise, fuel economy regs, is durable, won't cause much warranty grief and satisfies the general end-user (who by and large is not an enthusiast) so he/she buys a Ford again.

These are the "good old days" in case nobody noticed.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
And I thought this thread was about catch cans.
Hehehe, me too but that's ok lol...By the way, is it still worth it to add an oil catch can even if your car has 22k on it now? Is it too late since oil has already got into the manifold?
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Hehehe, me too but that's ok lol...By the way, is it still worth it to add an oil catch can even if your car has 22k on it now? Is it too late since oil has already got into the manifold?
Yes it is still worth it
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Yes it is still worth it
thanks for that.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT