What is the purpose of an Oil Catch Can / Seperator ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What is the purpose of an Oil Catch Can / Seperator ?

I keep hearing of people putting the Oil Catch Can / Seperator on their cars.
I'm not sure what this thing does & what the benefit is of using it. Can someone tell me the purpose of adding one ? I would think if it were really necessary Ford would have installed one stock on the cars. Never the less....if it is beneficial I'd like to add one to my car....but I want to know why I'm doing it before I do.
So....please tell me what it does. Thanks !!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Keeps crankcase blow by gasses containing oil from getting to the intake. It's not really necessary but it does keep the TB and intake cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
It also helps keep your octane where it should be, oil getting into the intake can reduce your octane if it makes it into the combustion chamber.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You won't believe how much it does catch....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ragtopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
I keep hearing of people putting the Oil Catch Can / Seperator on their cars.
I'm not sure what this thing does & what the benefit is of using it. Can someone tell me the purpose of adding one ? I would think if it were really necessary Ford would have installed one stock on the cars. Never the less....if it is beneficial I'd like to add one to my car....but I want to know why I'm doing it before I do.
So....please tell me what it does. Thanks !!!
These things have to be emptied.
Most of the driving public isn't smart enough to put air in their tires, that's why we have TPMS.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
2011 - lightly modded to 776rwhp
&
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
All of the above! If your running a blower the "lowering" of the octane could be a problem.
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil05GT View Post
All of the above! If your running a blower the "lowering" of the octane could be a problem.
If you are running an aggressive 93 octane tune it could be a problem also.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Region: New York
In a supercharged application where you have a internal intercooler and have higher intake pressures (boost) it catches most of the oil that your PCV valve lets by and keeps it from clogging the intercooler fins, thus restricting air flow
FSTPUNKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll go ahead & get one. How often do you empty them?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll go ahead & get one. How often do you empty them?

On a boosted motor you should empty about 800-1200 miles and non-boosted about 1500-2200 miles...and this all depends on the size of your catch can...check it frequently at first and you'll get a feel for when to empty.
EastTN15RubyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you look for one for a 2014 v6, they only offer them for the passenger side. There are a couple issues I see with this.

1. There are two lines
2. The passenger side is after the throttle body and the drivers side is before it

If it's so beneficial... why not before the throttle body too? Or am I just missing finding them somewhere?

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
All you need is the passenger side, that is the one that puts the oil vapors into the intake manifold.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1474939033.750950.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	205291

The red is the passenger side
The blue is the drivers side.

Same air flow

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Attachment 205291

The red is the passenger side
The blue is the drivers side.

Same air flow

Only the passenger side though is flowing in to the intake with crankcase vapors. The driver side isn't putting any oil vapor into the intake. That is why you don't see any oil catch cans for that side; they aren't needed because there isn't anything for them to collect. I was working on a friends car and he had one on the driver side - he didn't even realize it was there so he had never emptied it. The thing was bone dry, nothing at all in it.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sure glad I asked this question. Learned a lot from it. Think I'll have to start a New Thread or 2 to find out some other things I want to know about...like....Someone explain what Boost is to me. Or....How does this Compression thing work? Yes, I'm wanting to get my car up in the 500 - 550 H.P. range. (That's plenty good enough for a fun street car on country / desert roads & cruisin' through the mountains). Not looking to race it....Just fast enough for a fun time. Problem is...I've only built old push rod motors & a lot has changed. Always had the bottom ends rebuilt at a shop & then added my bolt ons.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Boost is Forced Induction. Whether it's a turbo or supercharger.

Do you mean 500-550 crank HP or to the wheels?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

Region: New York
Boost is how much pressure, the supercharger or turbo is the type of forced induction-that's why it is measured in pounds (ie boost gauge)
FSTPUNKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post

These things have to be emptied.

Most of the driving public isn't smart enough to put air in their tires, that's why we have TPMS.

That's a very ignorant way of seeing things.. I'm guessing we have air bags because the public isn't smart enough to not crash?
Joaquin_ii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post
That's a very ignorant way of seeing things.. I'm guessing we have air bags because the public isn't smart enough to not crash?
Well actually....
Old 09-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

They are there as a precaution and as a safety measure not because they don't know how to air their tires. Same as airbags they are there just in case someone gets hit.
Joaquin_ii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post
They are there as a precaution and as a safety measure not because they don't know how to air their tires. Same as airbags they are there just in case someone gets hit.
Regardless of these technicalities, your average car owner can't be bothered to check a catch can and empty it (or remember to)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Regardless of these technicalities, your average car owner can't be bothered to check a catch can and empty it (or remember to)
The average car owner has a hard enough time doing routine maintenance - add "oh, remember to check and empty the oil catch can every 5,000 miles" and it won't happen. So manufacturers use the easy way, take it out of the equation and simply route the vapors to be burned instead. If they didn't, the catch cans would be full on most cars and the PVC wouldn't function - netting the manufacturers fines for not meeting emission standards.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Boost is Forced Induction. Whether it's a turbo or supercharger.

Do you mean 500-550 crank HP or to the wheels?
I've never understood the difference in H.P. to the Crank or to the wheels. I would guess I'd want it to the wheels though. What I don't understand is why there's any difference in H.P. since the motor is turning the wheels. I guess the motor / crank has to have more H.P. in order to produce the desired rear wheel H.P. ???
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I've never understood the difference in H.P. to the Crank or to the wheels. I would guess I'd want it to the wheels though. What I don't understand is why there's any difference in H.P. since the motor is turning the wheels. I guess the motor / crank has to have more H.P. in order to produce the desired rear wheel H.P. ???
If you put the engine on an engine dyno and test it you will know how much power it produces "at the flywheel".

However since we add a transmission, driveshaft, and rear end (plus weight and friction) in order to use the engine in a car, all of that requires horsepower to run as well. So what you get off the chassis dyno is how much horsepower is actually getting to the rear wheels against the pavement (i.e. the net horsepower left after factoring in everything that will need to use some of the horsepower being produced). The Rear Wheel Horsepower (RWHP) is what you have available to run the car after factoring in the loss.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So is a Dyno the only way to find out how much H.P. you put out at the wheels?
I can't bring myself to paying $500 for a Dyno Tune. There must be a way to determine how much H.P. you lose between the crank & the wheels or at least get a rough estimate. I don't really need exact H.P. numbers as my car will never see the track as my eyesight isn't good enough for that anymore. If I did take it to the track....I'd have someone else do the driving. I just enjoy opening her up on some of the desert roads where nobody is around & having 15 minutes of fun.
I'm not sure how much H.P. I can get but my plans are to install a Boss Intake with a larger Throttle Body & CAI. Bigger Injectors, Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe with cats, Rousch Axelbacks & all 3" exhaust. Maybe a better Torque Converter (leaning towards Hughes Performance Convertor) & 1 piece drive shaft & then a SXT4 Bama Tune. Any idea how much H.P. I'd gain with those mods ? I was told I could get close to 500 H.P. with just a Tune on a stock motor. Not sure if this is true.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I bought a catch can for my 2012 Shelby GT500. I haven't put it on yet so I really don't know much about the catch can other than what others have said. One thing about a catch can. If you don't like it it's fairly easy to remove. I normally don't go much for aftermarket gimmick but I thought I would give it a try. I'm not sure about some of the claims.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

About an ounce of oil for every 3,000 miles is my experience with my Mustang GT. I didn't bother with the truck.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So is a Dyno the only way to find out how much H.P. you put out at the wheels?
I can't bring myself to paying $500 for a Dyno Tune. There must be a way to determine how much H.P. you lose between the crank & the wheels or at least get a rough estimate. I don't really need exact H.P. numbers as my car will never see the track as my eyesight isn't good enough for that anymore. If I did take it to the track....I'd have someone else do the driving. I just enjoy opening her up on some of the desert roads where nobody is around & having 15 minutes of fun.
I'm not sure how much H.P. I can get but my plans are to install a Boss Intake with a larger Throttle Body & CAI. Bigger Injectors, Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe with cats, Rousch Axelbacks & all 3" exhaust. Maybe a better Torque Converter (leaning towards Hughes Performance Convertor) & 1 piece drive shaft & then a SXT4 Bama Tune. Any idea how much H.P. I'd gain with those mods ? I was told I could get close to 500 H.P. with just a Tune on a stock motor. Not sure if this is true.

It's the only way to get a somewhat accurate WHP. I say somewhat because the same dyno will have different readings on different days and even on different runs on the same day.

Another way to a do a very very rough estimate is to find out the typical parasitic loss for a particular vehicle and then apply it to your vehicle.

Say for an F150 it's 20% then you take 385HP x .8 = 308WHP.

Now you start adding exhaust and CAI and a Boss Manifold (2hp + 0.00001hp + 12hp).

385 + 2 + 0.00001 + 12 = 399.00001HP

399.00001HP x 0.8 = 319.200008WHP

Very rough estimate and totally questionable but gives you a ballpark figure.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You ain't getting anywhere near 500, even at the flywheel, on a tune. I got 439 fly out of my last car on a tune, good enough for 11s. That was mind-bogglingly good for just a 91 tune car.

I'm making 520 on a 100 shot of nitrous on my current car, a 2014 automatic.

How do I know? I drag race the **** out of my cars and bikes and it's a simple calculation when you know the race weight (car + driver) and mph at the end of the run.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
500 HP on a tune? That guy who told you it is on something.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So what kind of gains do you get from a Tuner ?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
So what kind of gains do you get from a Tuner ?
That is a complicated answer. A tuner alone can try to optimize the performance of the engine by adjusting the timing and other parameters. This normally leads to the need for a higher octane fuel. The gains are minimal for some, and exceptional for others. I have heard of people gaining 15 - 20 rear wheel hp with a tune alone.

You have to remember that the environment the vehicle is in plays a huge part in the hp numbers produced. Optimal weather and elevation plays a huge key in regard to air density. The more air the engine gets, the more fuel the computer sends to the injectors. More air and fuel = greater power.

A combustion engine in its simplist form is nothing more than a huge air pump. It draws air in, detonation happens, and the air is forced out of the exhaust.

Given that simple answer, if you place an exhaust on the car that flows easier, the engine can run more efficiently, which allows it to produce more power. Add a larger throttle body, plenum, better flowing heads with larger valves and cams that keep the valves open longer and you are now inhaling more air to exhale. More air means you can burn more fuel. More fuel and air means a larger explosion, which results in the piston being forced harder on the down stroke.

What about the tuner? Well, with every modification the tuner provides new parameters for the computer to operate at an optimal level.

I know I have written a lot, but that is the basis of what a tune does, and how everything works together.

A tuner can only work with the components it has. From the factory some horsepower is left on the table to free up, but it is not much. Cars from the factory are trying to meet government standards, fuel mileage optimization, and be driver friendly for people on a very wide spectrum.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

So a Tuner doesn't really give you much H.P. It just makes it possible to use whatever performance parts you add. That's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I did all kinds of stuff to my 94 GT & No Tune was ever required. Now, if you even just add a CAI you have to have a tune. I personally don't like what they've done. I prefer the No Tune Required like the old days. You should be able to at least change your exhaust & CAI without needing a tune. Having to buy a Tuner makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off for $400. Especially since you can only use it on 1 car.
If they made them so you could use them on any car over & over.... it would be a much better investment. Time for the computer hackers to do something good & unlock these things so they can be used on the car of your choice.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Your 94 Mustang needed a lot of help since they only made 200 horsepower from the factory. These cars are making 400+ horsepower from the factory. It's a great time to be a car enthusiast. A tune can make a half second difference on a car now. No chip back in the OBD1 days could do that.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yes...it was 238 H.P. stock. It was a little over 300 H.P. with all the stuff I did to it & no Tune Required. You can't add 62+ H.P. in todays cars without a tune. You would expect cars to improve & gain H.P. over 22 years. But I feel the manufacturers are doing this on purpose so we have to pay for a tuner. I'm sure they could make it where a tuner is not required if they wanted to. It's just a money game in my book.
A 1/2 second difference doesn't really mean much to me as I'm not a track or race person. I'm sure it means a lot to those who are.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Yes...it was 238 H.P. stock. It was a little over 300 H.P. with all the stuff I did to it & no Tune Required. You can't add 62+ H.P. in todays cars without a tune. You would expect cars to improve & gain H.P. over 22 years. But I feel the manufacturers are doing this on purpose so we have to pay for a tuner. I'm sure they could make it where a tuner is not required if they wanted to. It's just a money game in my book.
A 1/2 second difference doesn't really mean much to me as I'm not a track or race person. I'm sure it means a lot to those who are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT