GT500 vs. Stock Mufflers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
GT500 vs. Stock Mufflers

So, I'm looking to get a deeper tone to my exhaust, and after lots of looking I stumbled across the GT500 mufflers. I've watched a few videos of them back to back against stock and I can't tell a difference. If you've switched your stock ones out are you satisfied with it? Thanks in advance and drive safe!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
- Voltaire
The Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The GT500s sound much better than stock - deeper, throatier sound.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
What type of sound are you looking for? Just deeper? Louder too? Borla Stingers sound amazing and have a deeper tone, but are probably a good deal louder than the GT500s.
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Best muffler, bar none for the Coyote. quality sound without any drone or downsides. By comparison there is lots louder stuff but, not everyone wants that and it usually has some downsides. You can add volume without compromising quality to the GT500s easily by removing the resonators or going with off road. Do that with some of the louder stuff like Roush and you'll be needing hearing aids soon.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Region: Florida
Borla S has a great sound. I love mine
chvyeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

One of my first mods - love them. Dead sexy sound without the obnoxious blatting. At the time they were also one of the cheapest as well. I bought them off one of the FR websites that had them on sale for like $300+. I recently looked and didn't find them anywhere near that cheap though.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
My 14 TrakPak went from stock mufflers to GT-500's and they sounded fantastic to me. I loved their mellow growl at idle and full throttle was not too loud although 100% better than stock. Personally I loved the look of the twin tip exhaust along with the GT500 rear valance...the look is just great!!!

I paid $625 for the complete kit which included both mufflers/GT500 rear valance and all the hardware. You can't beat this price anywhere and makes the mufflers about $250 each and the valance is $125...and it's all Ford Parts!!!

EXHAUST KIT QUAD TIP MGT 2013-14
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-20 17.39.58.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	205595  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I am looking to replace the entire exhaust system on my 2013 V6 coupe - with BBK long tube headers and catted mid pipes (due to Colorado emission regs). Would the GT500 mufflers discussed in this forum thread work with the BBK parts?
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #9

Region: Alabama
Olerodder
The mufflers and valance look fantastic! Big deal to do the valance swap? Again, nice job
94indycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Olderodder
I am looking to put the Shelby dual tips on my 2014. Can you please share you found the prices for the valance and exhaust. Thanks

John

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

85FLGTCONVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FLGTCONVT View Post
Olderodder
I am looking to put the Shelby dual tips on my 2014. Can you please share you found the prices for the valance and exhaust. Thanks

John

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

EXHAUST KIT QUAD TIP MGT 2013-14
Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94indycar View Post
Olerodder
The mufflers and valance look fantastic! Big deal to do the valance swap? Again, nice job
The kit comes with complete instructions...step by step.
Here they are;

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...99904-cust.pdf
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

For anyone that is loyal to American Muscle they have the kit for $737 with free freight.
Ford Performance Shelby GT500 Mustang Rear Valance & Exhaust Kit M-5230-MSVTCD (13-14 All) - Free Shipping

I paid $625 for the kit and paid $30/$40 for freight...choose your poison!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

Thank you for the quick response!

By the way, nice stable of fords!

John
85FLGTCONVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
What type of sound are you looking for? Just deeper? Louder too? Borla Stingers sound amazing and have a deeper tone, but are probably a good deal louder than the GT500s.
Good question. I'm not interested in waking the neighbors or anything like that. Just more of a low muscle car rumble that's not going to make it impossible for me to hear my stereo or use my phone.

- Voltaire
Old 10-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think my best advice would be to listen to a bunch of videos online and determine which ones you want. I am on my third exhaust because I was not super careful about what i bought from the beginning. Magnaflow Street sounded really good but was not loud enough after a while. I then bought Bassani SS and it was deafeningly loud and I could not take it long. I did a whole ton of research and decided on Borla Stingers. They are loud because I have long tubes and an offroad H-Pipe but the drone is low and I can still enjoy the radio and the sound of the exhaust. I don't want to say that they will not be too loud for you, though, since each person is different. Just be careful because stainless steel exhausts are expensive!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

The GT500's I put on my Mustang were just perfect for my taste...at idle they had a nice rumble and at full throttle with my windows up I could play the CD and talk on the phone...although my F1 tires did make quite a lot of noise.
I just can't understand why someone wants a loud exhaust...I guess in my day the saying was, "If it don't go chrome it", and now days it should be, "if it don't go then make it loud"...to have a car go down a street at full throttle and set off car alarms is beyond me!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FLGTCONVT View Post
Thank you for the quick response!

By the way, nice stable of fords!

John
Thanks although the 14 TrakPak, Maverick, Capri and 97 Cobra are long gone they were great cars. Now replaced with my Baby 4 door Corvette...ATS-V.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have the GT 500's on my 11gt. Great sound. Easy to live with. Your neighbors won't hate you but they sound great at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I just can't understand why someone wants a loud exhaust...I guess in my day the saying was, "If it don't go chrome it", and now days it should be, "if it don't go then make it loud"...to have a car go down a street at full throttle and set off car alarms is beyond me!
I concur. I've never been the type of guy that subscribes to the whole "if it's too loud, you're too old" mantra. For lack of a better term, it's assholish to disturb the peace of people around you. You love your precious little Camaro or Challenger or Mustang, great! Just don't make it a problem for people that want to get sleep or have a little bit of quiet inside their homes.

- Voltaire
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It may be more about driving style. With FRPP Touring axle backs, no neighbors said a thing, but then no one really complimented on the sound. At cars and coffee meet ups, mine was the quiet one. With Borla S types, I COULD be obnoxious enough for neighbor complaints, but no... I get compliments. I take it slowly. Kids playing. Then when I leave the hood - WHOMP! We get more peeved at fast drivers around quiet streets, noisy or not.
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

+1
I could not agree with this more. I'm the first one to shake my fist at people speeding through my neighborhood, noisy or not. Unless the exhaust is super obnoxious, you can keep it quiet by taking it easy and keeping the rpms low.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the speed thing in neighborhoods kinda rankles me, especially with kids around. I've seen firsthand what a car can do to a pedestrian, especially if they wind up under the car and believe me, it's enough to give you nightmares for the rest of your life.

- Voltaire
Old 10-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You won't be disappointed in the GT500's. It's how the car should have sounded from the factory. Not the loudest, but it's a great sound with no rasp, no drone, and a nice burble on deceleration. As stated earlier, they also respond well to other exhaust mods where as with many others the sound can actually "devolve" into something you won't wanna live with.
I really love mine (I have a quad setup, but the sound is the same). My second choice would have been Borla S, or Corsa, but even without consideration to costs I'm totally happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:04 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I love mine.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1476691485070.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	205719  
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itcouldbebobby View Post
You won't be disappointed in the GT500's. It's how the car should have sounded from the factory. Not the loudest, but it's a great sound with no rasp, no drone, and a nice burble on deceleration. As stated earlier, they also respond well to other exhaust mods where as with many others the sound can actually "devolve" into something you won't wanna live with.
I really love mine (I have a quad setup, but the sound is the same). My second choice would have been Borla S, or Corsa, but even without consideration to costs I'm totally happy.
How do the pipes it look on your car? I'm thinking on mine they might look like they need to be balanced with a wing. Know what I mean? Something like a GT500 spoiler.

- Voltaire
Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Personally I think the stock spoiler on the GT is just too small and really doesn't compliment the rear. I bought my GT500 wing with Gurney flap...the flap comes separate so I left it off and had the dealer paint my wing to match the car, then put the flap on...I only paid $150 to have them paint it with single stage, took the old one off and put the new one on...I wasn't trying to make my car into a GT500, I think it should have come from the factory like this along with the GT500 exhause and lower valance....IMHO
Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
How do the pipes it look on your car? I'm thinking on mine they might look like they need to be balanced with a wing. Know what I mean? Something like a GT500 spoiler.
I'm in the process of adding a GT500 spoiler myself. The stock one is just too small. I have a ducktail spoiler, but changed my mind on it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1476736647551.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	205736  
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have GT500's and a set of GT500 over the axle pipes with no resonators on my 2014 GT and I think it sounds awesome and so do most everyone who hears it.

Wayne

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I have GT500's and a set of GT500 over the axle pipes with no resonators on my 2014 GT and I think it sounds awesome and so do most everyone who hears it.

Wayne
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I don't get the last post.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

He has the GT500 catback setup (not just axleback) with no resonators and almost everyone agrees that it sounds great.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
I am looking to replace the entire exhaust system on my 2013 V6 coupe - with BBK long tube headers and catted mid pipes (due to Colorado emission regs). Would the GT500 mufflers discussed in this forum thread work with the BBK parts?
Ummm, I would stick with a MagnaFlow Street series or do what everyone else does and buy some Borla axel backs. On my V6 my setup was BBK shortie headers, GT H pipe, stock over axel pipes and MagnaFlow street axel backs. It was a great sound and kept that muscle vibe. Don't risk catted headers or even removing your stock catts. Regardless if you are caught you will be screwed. In states that do smog the sniffer test almost always catches you. Even with high flow cats.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
He has the GT500 catback setup (not just axleback) with no resonators and almost everyone agrees that it sounds great.
you are correct sir. I thought I was pretty clear.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I love my roush axlebacks!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
you are correct sir. I thought I was pretty clear.
You were pretty clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT