Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Exhaust Leak Please Help!!

Tags
exhaust
7K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Beviking 
#1 ·
I just put my jba cat delete pipes on my stock h-pipe. I used clamps and I am having major exhaust leaks on both sides. I really do not want to weld them on, is there anyway to stop the leaks without welding?

#2 ·
Maybe a different type of exhaust clamps. A pic would help people diagnose the potential problem.

If you bent the exhaust pipes by over tightening, it's probably too late to fix without welding. You could try use exhaust wrap and see if that fixes the problem, but that could be a temporary solution only. Welding will fix it for sure, but please post a pic if you can.

#5 ·
For whatever reason, it seems like once the factory clamps are disturbed they never seem to work very well afterwards.

These can be found at NAPA. Fold aluminum foil 3x over, about the width of the clamp and make sure it goes around the joint twice. Then put this clamp over the top of it and tighten it down. Problem solved. Red Wall clock Clock Gauge Fashion accessory

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
Clamps

I have searched high and low for replacement clamps and I'm sure the aluminum foil with the larger clamp works.
When installed the x-pipe, I reused the clamps and I've always had a slight leak on start up that goes away in 30 seconds or so.
Anyhow, I know someone here had a part number for napa or somewhere and I've never been able to locate it. And I put a post out there looking for it and the only response I got was the condescending "search engine is your friend" Well the search engine is not very friendly as it returns a million posts with nothing related!
Anyhow if anybody has a source for a replacement factory type clamp please respond with supplier and P/N.
I actually found one by turco and contacted a sales engineer, he tod me they are available from Napa but when I go to the store and website they can't find them.

#8 ·
Clamps

Not quite, I think those are similar to what the poster above noted, with an aluminum foil wrap.
Supposedly the same type of OEM clamp is available aftermarket.
Just cant find it.

#9 · (Edited)
Well the NAPA near me has them hanging up in easy reach. They're wider than 2.5", more like 3-4", I can't remember.

Keep in mind - from my experience these clamps can only be taken off and re-used maybe once. You can re-foil the joints and it will work, but always do your best to put them back in the same positions. Otherwise you'll find in a couple thousand miles the foil will start to blow out and it will leak. These clamps will take a set and form to everything once you cinch them down.

I've replaced mine once already, but that was from me taking them off and on a couple times for other reasons. The ones on the car now have been on there for almost two years with no leakage or problems.

I'm putting long tubes on this Saturday and will most likely just replace them to avoid any problems down the road.

When I buy the clamps in a day or two I will take a pic of them for you to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#11 ·
That's why I'm having a friend help me. I'm confident I could do the job myself, but an extra set of hands will certainly expedite the process.

Once that's done I'm set up for the pro charger install which should be much simpler.

#12 ·
That's why I'm having a friend help me. I'm confident I could do the job myself, but an extra set of hands will certainly expedite the process.

Once that's done I'm set up for the pro charger install which should be much simpler.

#13 ·
#14 ·

Once that's done I'm set up for the pro charger install which should be much simpler to do.

#15 ·
Jegs sells them. I bought a new one off there. The stock clamps are junk and will always leak. Just buy a complete off road x or h that eliminates the stock ball and socket nonsense. I've tried foil, dryer exhaust tape, furnace cement, and muffler cement. It usually stayed good for a week or two then after a wot or me using my 2 step it would go to leaking again.

#16 ·
Can you give a part #?

#17 ·
One thing I can say, the old used clamps work great as cup extensions. Cup Drink Food

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.