Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Sync v4.6 is out!

20K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  WJBertrand 
#1 ·
Disclaimer, Ford is rolling it out step-wise so it may or may not yet be available to you.

Installation went smoothly (thankfully different to when I installed v4.4) and it only took 10-15 minutes. Had to re-pair my phone and everything seems to be working. At least temporarily it seems to have corrected the problem where when I asked for a particular tract on my iPod, sync would repeat the correct tract but play something completely different. Repeating the request would then select another incorrect song, in spite of sync correctly repeating the song I asked for. I'll withhold a conclusion about this fix for now because re-installing v4.4 would also correct this for a couple of days before it went back to the problem. This was my biggest gripe that came along with v4.4.

Here's the official Ford blurb on the update from the website:

DR3T-14D544-AG

Ford Motor Company is committed to enhancing and improving upon the SYNC® driving experience, and we periodically release software updates so you have the latest version of SYNC® to keep you up-to-date and in-the-know.

The latest release of SYNC® (V4.6) software delivers a more robust driving experience for vehicles equipped with SYNC® and SYNC® with MyFord®. The latest version also includes new features:

Streamlined help commands save time. SYNC® offers the corresponding help prompts only to the area that you're using.

Enhanced phonebook search allows you to browse and scroll through your contacts, alphabetically.

SYNC® AppLink™ now available in Canada and Mexico. Now, AppLink™ can be controlled in English, French (Canadian) and Spanish (Mexican).

SYNC® reboot allows you to quickly restart the SYNC® system to facilitate communication between your Bluetooth® - enabled device and SYNC®, without repairing your device or performing a master reset.

See less See more
#3 ·
FINALLY!!!

I was starting to get concerned that they weren't going to release any more updates for the previous gen syncs.

If this does what I think it does:

SYNC® reboot allows you to quickly restart the SYNC® system to facilitate communication between your Bluetooth® - enabled device and SYNC®, without repairing your device or performing a master reset.
...then I won't have to keep pulling the fuse to get my Mobile Apps to work!

#6 · (Edited)
Hello Nomad, it should be by USB thumb drive. You'll need to go to Ford.com and select Owner. Next, you can sign in/ register in order to be able to select the SYNC and Vehicle Services Tab (on a PC or laptop), after you should be able to click check for updates and download the SYNC update it should provide a step by step guide for your particular SYNC model, Hopefully this helps?

#17 ·
The update I installed in my 2012 was supposed to fix that, and never did.

#15 ·
Why update? I haven't updated mine since new in '12! Lol.
Yep, devils advocate here. :p:

#18 ·
Probably better off. Mine was worse after the update. :banghead:

#16 ·
My 2012 took an update. When I log in now that I have a 2015 it says I'm running 3.7, and am up to date. WTF.

#21 ·
Well, v4.6 seems to fix my wrong song problem but only if I make sure shuffle is off in the system. Evidently Sync will shuffle to a different song than the one you request if that function is turned on. I also discovered later the shuffle function was switched on in my attached iPod as well. Maybe this was creating a shuffle x shuffle conflict of some sort? Next experiment is to turn off the iPod shuffle function and turn Sync shuffle back on to see if I can request specific songs in that configuration.

#25 ·
So the 15s have 3.8 as the latest, and you have to go to a Ford dealer for it. (My Ford Touch)

#28 ·
Tried installing 4.6 on my 2014 GT. No luck. Tried several times and several different flash drives. Called Ford support and they told me they still have issues with it installing on many cars. First version was released in February then they pulled and just released it again. Still issues for some.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolutio

#30 ·
I have a 2012.. doubt it's ever been updated. Is there anything really worth updating for?

I have the tech package with NAV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#31 ·
It depends.

I recommend reading the release notes for all versions to see if they fixed a bug that was affecting you.

Once you upgrade there is no going back.

I regretted upgrading before this version as my mobile apps became unusable on a daily basis. The only way to get it to work again was to pull the sync fuse.

That got old really quick.

I have seen multiple versions claim the media source will default to Bluetooth, but it never does.

Anytime I start the car I have to press the media button then change the source from "line in" to Bluetooth.

Sounds simple but gets very tedious.

With all that being said, the mobile apps in this version seems to be stable as of yet, too early to tell if it is fixed for me.

They also added a "sync reboot" option in the menu which I am hoping will prevent me from having to pull the fuse everything mobile apps refuse to connect.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

It depends.

I recommend reading the release notes for all versions to see if they fixed a bug that was affecting you.

Once you upgrade there is no going back.

I regretted upgrading before this version as my mobile apps became unusable on a daily basis. The only way to get it to work again was to pull the sync fuse.

That got old really quick.

I have seen multiple versions claim the media source will default to Bluetooth, but it never does.

Anytime I start the car I have to press the media button then change the source from "line in" to Bluetooth.

Sounds simple but gets very tedious.

With all that being said, the mobile apps in this version seems to be stable as of yet, too early to tell if it is fixed for me.

They also added a "sync reboot" option in the menu which I am hoping will prevent me from having to pull the fuse everything mobile apps refuse to connect.

#33 · (Edited)
Put it on Saturday. Haven't noticed a whole lot of difference. But, could have sworn I was able to have 4.4 read me the last new text message recieved, now just says no supported phone for text messages found. Did they take something away? I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 10 running. Maybe it is iOS 10?

It does now remember that USB2 was active and starts where it left off in a song when restarting the car. Before it would just give up and flip to FM radio. I would have to re-ask for USB.

#34 ·
Well I experimented (continuing from post #21 above) and believe I've discovered a bug in v4.6. Exploring my wrong song problem I found that v4.6 with shuffle "off" corrected this, however, finding that my iPod also had shuffle enabled I wondered about a conflict. I switched shuffle off on the iPod and shuffle to on in Sync. The problem with getting the wrong song immediately reappeared. Evidently Sync includes your requests as part of the shuffle function and picks the next random song instead of the one you requested. To my thinking this should not function that way. It would be a minor bug, since it can be corrected by simply selecting shuffle off, except once I turned shuffle on, Sync would not let me turn it off again. Hence the big bug. Trying to toggle it off just caused the system to return to the main screen showing the currently playing tract. No manipulation of the controls would allow me to turn shuffle off. The new sync re-boot feature didn't work so I finally resorted to a master re-set which finally returned shuffle to the default off setting. Guess I'll just have to refrain from using the shuffle feature until v4.7 comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.