Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Clutch issue need some advice

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Mlp07 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I've had this issue for a while now and really don't want to damage anything if I keep driving it. When my car is at idle I can hear some grinding, but once I press on the clutch it will go away. It's more noticeable when I turn on the a/c for some reason and can hear it louder. The car shifts fine, no issues whatsoever but this is just bothering me. When I took it at the dealership they had replaced the slave cylinder and a new pilot bearing. Text Document Paper Font Paper product
that was on 5/6/15 with 10k miles now im at 17k. Reason why they haven't "fixed it yet" is because they need a same car with almost they same mileage to check if it's normal..... Which is not!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a defective slave cylinder bearing. Possibly a defective pilot bearing. Either way it should be covered. Don't let the dealer bully you, get tough on them. Mention getting a lawyer involved if they don't address it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 · (Edited)
They said they replaced both items, unless they just said they did and didn't do the work. If they actually did what else could be the problem? I've searched almost every forum and all it said that could cause that problem was the pilot bearing and the slave cylinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#5 ·
Yeah, it still isn't right, still under warranty and it needs to be fixed asap! You didn't pay good money to deal with bs at 10k or 17k miles! And NO! They don't have another car w the same issue b/c it's not normal! You can play nice and ask if everyone has to wait when they have an issue at this dealership? They've already documented an issue, just push it a little.

#6 ·
"but once I press on the clutch it will go away" Are you talking just slight pressure or is the clutch pressed. If it only happens with the clutch out, its could very possible be within the trany! When the clutch is out, the internal components of the trany are spinning. The throw out /slave cylinder bearing only has pressure on it when the clutch is depressed.

#8 ·
What could it possibly be then? They already replaced those parts. I can only hear it when the car is in neutral. Once I press the clutch the noise will stop.

#9 ·
Yeah, it still isn't right, still under warranty and it needs to be fixed asap! You didn't pay good money to deal with bs at 10k or 17k miles! And NO! They don't have another car w the same issue b/c it's not normal! You can play nice and ask if everyone has to wait when they have an issue at this dealership? They've already documented an issue, just push it a little.
That's what I plan on doing. Hopefully it's nothing that big. I'll have to make an appointment there since that dealership is always busy and I really don't live close by.

#10 · (Edited)
As the group states, take it back. Here we have parts replacers and technicians. The Hotline can only help if they have heard of the concern. Might not be a easy find. Input bearing? You can always take it to another dealer or request help from a field engineer. Best part is, it can be verified! So It should be able to get fixed :)

#11 ·
Hey guys getting kind of frustrated with this issue, took it to the dealership and they couldn't hear the noise. I talked to the person and he asked if the noise is getting worst or still the same, he said if it gets worst just to come by again. This is getting annoying. When I drove home my car started acting funny and started to vibrate and made the noise again. The RPMS went below the 500 mark like it wanted to stall. I put my ear close to the shifter and can really hear it, just don't know what's causing it.

#12 ·
I would've turned around and went right back. Again the next time it happens go to the dealership and demand that someone check it out right then and there. If they are reputable and knowing how often you've been there they should at the least turn someone loose to ride with you thinks item for the noise. Once they do ride around til the noise returns tegardless of how long it may take.

#13 ·
It's not the clutch, it's the transmission...

With the shifter in neutral the clutch pedal all the way up torque is being transferred to the input shaft. When you press the clutch in you are disengaging the clutch disk from the flywheel and pressure plate, this lets the flywheel frees spin and the input shaft will no longer have torque applied to it. If the noise goes away then it's something in the trans causing your issue. I have heard of the input shaft bearing going out. Happens more often when you let the trans hang from the shaft when installing git, but could also just be a man. defect.

#14 ·
#15 ·
My car shifts fine at high rpms so it is engaging right, but when going to 1st to 2nd I can hear the transmission clunk and shift 1 and 2 I have to kind of give it a little force to shift. Thought those were normal for this mt82 transmissions. I'm starting to think it might be the transmission with all the search I've done. Could I be damaging something if I keep driving it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.