Ford Extended Warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Ford Protect Extended Service Plan?
It's worth it. 3 33.33%
It's not worth it. 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ford Extended Warranty

Do you have an extended warranty? I'm curious to know if anyone here has one and if so, do you think it was worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
- Voltaire
The Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you plan to mod your car?
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Only with Ford parts. I might get some aftermarket suspension parts in there or Brembo brakes, however, changes in gearing, for example, will be Ford only. I don't anticipate doing much to the engine until after the warranty expires.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
- Voltaire
The Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you plan to mod the suspension, breaks or engine in anyway it will void that warranty. So buying extended warranty and then mod it before it finished you just wasted money. If your dealer says that it will not void your warranty if they put it in your car get that in writing and signed because if you try to claim anything that is modded ford will look at you not your dealer.

To answer your question, the warranty is worth it if you don't mod. If that's the route you're taking don't catch that mod bug
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Really depends on the dealer and how extensive the mods are. Im a tech at ford dealer in virginia beach. Its really hard to say. Its a case by case situation. Ive seen techs replace a bad coil pack on a 5.0 with intake tune and exhaust and a bad steering/suspension part on a lowered car.
13Mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have one through Route 66. The don't cover anything considered "normal wear" and nothing like entertainment/ navigation or wiring harnesses. If your car is modded it'll void the warranty.

My warranty is until 100k miles and at 45k miles I voided it by installing the Boss Intake.

I couldn't wait until 100k to unlock the cars potential. I've been modding ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boss302PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How much is the warranty? Instead of buying the warranty and waiting to find out if you need it, take the money and put it in the bank. If you don't need it, more money for spending on your car or you.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It added about $1415 to my financing. I think it's worth it because although it will no longer cover engine related issues cause of mods it'll still cover transmission issues and it's currently being used to fix an AdvanceTrac issue that started last week.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Region: Massachusetts
Just keep in mind that ALL extended warranties regardless of the product provide coverage when the product is least likely to fail. That is why they are such a big money makers for those that sell them.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Just keep in mind that ALL extended warranties regardless of the product provide coverage when the product is least likely to fail. That is why they are such a big money makers for those that sell them.
You are better off to take all of the money you would use towards extended warranties for all cars, appliances, ect. and put all of them into an emergency funds savings account.
StangLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangLife View Post
You are better off to take all of the money you would use towards extended warranties for all cars, appliances, ect. and put all of them into an emergency funds savings account.

I'd have to disagree. My extended warranty cost me $1,400. But I just got my car back from the dealership two days ago. The AdvanceTrac system stopped working and the fix totaled $2,061. The extended warranty saved me and paid itself off.

I'm happy I had it.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
This as far as the electronics go is not true. They are specifically covered. I looked that up once. when you read through it, it specifically lists the entertainment/Navigation system as covered. Even the clutch is covered. Obviously, things you replace with aftermarket parts are not covered, but that's expected.

There are two plans, you can get one or the other or both. There is a service plan and a maintenance plan.

PremiumCARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss302PR View Post
I have one through Route 66. The don't cover anything considered "normal wear" and nothing like entertainment/ navigation or wiring harnesses. If your car is modded it'll void the warranty.

My warranty is until 100k miles and at 45k miles I voided it by installing the Boss Intake.

I couldn't wait until 100k to unlock the cars potential. I've been modding ever since.

Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Occasionally you will meet someone who the warranty saved them money but statistically they are a waste of money. Given the business model they have to bring in more money then they pay out to make the dealership money.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

They cover clear up to 8 years or150k miles. I think things can break at over 100k miles. You have a transmission failure, ABS, differential etc.. and it WAY more than pays for itself. Also if you sell it before the warranty is up, then you get credited. I got $3,000 back on my 2012 GT/CS when I traded it in on my 2015 PP GT. I can see that when if something major breaks you practically have to take out a loan to pay for it, but I think these are one of the few things that are worth it.

Quote:
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Mine says that it can even be transferred to a new owner.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #16

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
They cover clear up to 8 years or150k miles. I think things can break at over 100k miles. You have a transmission failure, ABS, differential etc.. and it WAY more than pays for itself. Also if you sell it before the warranty is up, then you get credited. I got $3,000 back on my 2012 GT/CS when I traded it in on my 2015 PP GT. I can see that when if something major breaks you practically have to take out a loan to pay for it, but I think these are one of the few things that are worth it.
From say 30k to 150k miles is when a vehicle is going to be the most reliable.

I have been buying new cars for over 40 years and typically keep them 7 to 10 years and put over 200k miles on them.

I have never had a failure where an extended warranty would have made sense. I have saved enough money by not purchasing them to pay cash for another car.

My experience is much much more likely than having an advance track failure that cost $2k and was covered. And in that case the extended warranty only makes fiscal sense if he experiences​ another covered failure, otherwise it's a wash.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Todays cars are so full of electronics and computers/modules, I will always opt for the full extended warranty. It's not so much the drive train that fails these days, it's a module for controlling this or that. Example would be a Bluetooth module that fails. Power train won't cover that and it's usually in the order of hundreds if not thousands (taking into account labor rates) to R&R it. Been there, done that.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

I have been buying new cars for over 40 years and typically keep them 7 to 10 years and put over 200k miles on them.

I have never had a failure where an extended warranty would have made sense. I have saved enough money by not purchasing them to pay cash for another car.

My experience is much much more likely than having an advance track failure that cost $2k and was covered. And in that case the extended warranty only makes fiscal sense if he experiences​ another covered failure, otherwise it's a wash.
Depends on the car. Not getting one for stang, since it's drivetrain is pretty much overdesigned, I have a base model with very little tech, and I only drive it on nice days (and I plan on mods after basic 3 yr warantee up).

My DD AWD EB fusion, heck yeah I'm getting the warantee for that.
Got one for the womans AWD 2.0 escape and the trans blew on that @ 46K.
Already paid for itself.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

And... there's already 3 people in this thread alone that disagree because they had different experiences. I am sticking to what I said.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT