2011 gt caliper piston sticking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2016, 01:41 AM   #1

Region: Texas
2011 gt caliper piston sticking

anyone having issues with their caliper piston sticking on the coyote mustang? my driverside stuck and so i replaced it. i noticed because i kept hearing this terrible creaking noise overtime i pressed the brake. so i replaced the front driver side caliper and went ahead and did steal braided brake lines, but now the passenger side is stuck, but i believe it was already stuck before the upgraded lines.. Should i just upgrade my brake kit? or just replace the passenger caliper and see if it resolves itself?

Any help would be great thanks
bennybleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This happened to both rears in my daughter's 2010 GT. Replaced both of them (on separate occasions) and never had another problem. Unless you are tracking the car, my opinion is that a brake upgrade is not necessary. Nice, but not necessary.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How many miles are on the car? You likely arent seizing the pistons, but rather the slide pins. Its a very easy fix to just pull them off and regrease them, they dont exactly get a liberal coating from the factory.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennybleezy View Post
anyone having issues with their caliper piston sticking on the coyote mustang? my driverside stuck and so i replaced it. i noticed because i kept hearing this terrible creaking noise overtime i pressed the brake. so i replaced the front driver side caliper and went ahead and did steal braided brake lines, but now the passenger side is stuck, but i believe it was already stuck before the upgraded lines.. Should i just upgrade my brake kit? or just replace the passenger caliper and see if it resolves itself?

Any help would be great thanks

I replaced my passenger side caliper on my 11 GT a few months ago. I changed the brake line first...didn't fix the creaking. I put it up on a lift and it was still sticking, the slides were greased as well, that wasn't my problem. So then replaced the caliper. Problem solved! No more seizing up or noise.
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
How many miles are on the car? You likely arent seizing the pistons, but rather the slide pins. Its a very easy fix to just pull them off and regrease them, they dont exactly get a liberal coating from the factory.
That would be my first check. Bought a new Ranger back in 04 and one slide on front pass side was w/o grease! IMO it's worthwhile to pull it and check when you have the wheel off if nothing else but for piece of mind.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My passenger side is making a squeeling/ whistling sound while driving. Would this be signs of the same thing you guys have experienced?

I figured it was just as simple as the pads

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Nicholas_5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The car has 45k miles on it. And I greased the pins already. It was both caliper pistons. I know because when I took them off I had a buddy push the brakes and I only saw one piston move. But it's fixed now I replaced both front ones and no issues!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas_5ohh View Post
My passenger side is making a squeeling/ whistling sound while driving. Would this be signs of the same thing you guys have experienced?

I figured it was just as simple as the pads

Sounds like pads to me. The caliper only made noise when I applied the brakes. The squeak was when I pressed them. Even if i wasn't moving. But could be pads are rotors. Are your rotors smooth? Feel if there are grooves in it.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My rears did this as a result of aftermarket stainless lines. The banjo bolt was just a touch too long and was pressing against them.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Maybe I should keep an eye out I installed the stainless lines as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The car has 45k miles on it. And I greased the pins already. It was both caliper pistons. I know because when I took them off I had a buddy push the brakes and I only saw one piston move. But it's fixed now I replaced both front ones and no issues!
That is interesting, never heard of that happening before. Good to know.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like pads to me. The caliper only made noise when I applied the brakes. The squeak was when I pressed them. Even if i wasn't moving. But could be pads are rotors. Are your rotors smooth? Feel if there are grooves in it.

This happens when I go on the brakes I think. Not so noticeable while drive. But it is there

Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #13

Might wanna take some time take your caliper off that's making the sound and remove it along with the brake pads and have a buddy press the brakes and see if both pistons come out or only one. If only one I'm pretty sure it's jacked.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Okay will do in the spring when it comes out of storage!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt