Rim size and performance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Rim size and performance?

i currently have 18"s on my car, but the rims are the ugliest i've ever seen.. So I'm in the market for new wheels.i was thinking about 19"s to get a better look and still some good performance but the low profile tires look nice on the 20"s. i've read that the 18"s are best for the track for my car (2011 Mustang GT). It may be the tires i have but i can spin them 1-3rd gear if i launch it and even if i do a second gear roll. i currently am running some Nitto nt555 extreme zr. but anyways I'm just wondering what anyones opinions are and if anyone runs bigger rims and have any issues hooking up. is there a huge difference between rim size, and putting down power? current setup is 255 in the front and 275 in the back. Thanks peeps
bennybleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

There is a tremendous amount of information on this question if you look for it.

In short, 18s are better.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
Larger wheels will be heavier than smaller wheels. More weight will translate into longer stop distance, and longer acceleration times. MPG will decrease. Rotational mass can have quite an affect on performance. This is true for larger brakes as well.
Innovate WiFi, OT-2 ODBII interface, and DashCommand software to go with it.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I went to stggered 19's and have not seen any difference in mpg. The weight of the wheel is also important.
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
I forgot to mention unsprung weight.
On the other hand, I do like large, deep dish, wheels on the right car. Unfortunately, it' a balance between what you want, and what else you want. And something about doing what you want. /grin
Innovate WiFi, OT-2 ODBII interface, and DashCommand software to go with it.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

18 will allow more sidewall assuming the same tire height as a 19, the added sidewall will absorb the hit better and lead to better traction vs a low profile 19 or 20.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Difference in rim size and putting down power, yes, but as already mentioned you want more sidewall (smaller rim) to absorb the initial hit. You want to go wider, not taller. Look at the drag strip, 15" wheel is common. If you like the larger wheel, lower profile look, you may be able to go taller and wider with similar results but unless you're running something skinny on the rear, I doubt you'll do much better traction wise.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Difference in rim size and putting down power, yes, but as already mentioned you want more sidewall (smaller rim) to absorb the initial hit. You want to go wider, not taller. Look at the drag strip, 15" wheel is common. If you like the larger wheel, lower profile look, you may be able to go taller and wider with similar results but unless you're running something skinny on the rear, I doubt you'll do much better traction wise.
Confusing post is confusing.

OP, 18s or 19s will be your best bet. If you're worred about performance don't get heavy 20s. Whatever wheel you get, make sure it's a lighter one. Forgestar and HRE come to mind. Now is also a good chance to get wider tires. I would shop around and pick a tire, and then size your wheels to match whatever size tire you want. Make sure there's a few tire choices in that size, just in case.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Difference in rim size and putting down power, yes, but as already mentioned you want more tire sidewall (so go with a smaller wheel aka rim) to absorb the initial hit (meaning when the wheel is stationary and force is applied, it rotates enough to spin the tire on the road. If there is more sidewall of the tire, some of that force is absorbed by the sidewall and allows the tire to plant a little better. I say little because you're talking 18-19-20" which depending on your current setup, you may fit a taller tire and negate any difference in sidewall size, or at least the benefit from such a small difference. You want to go with a wider tire (255 to a 275 or 275 to a 295 etc), not taller (18" to 19") for traction. If you look at the drag strip where cars are launching hard and want max traction, 15" wheel is common. If you like the larger wheel, lower profile look, you may be able to go with a taller and wider tire (see sidewall explanation above) and have similar results as you have now but unless you're running something skinny on the rear (like a 255), I doubt you'll do much better traction wise going to a 19" or 20" setup from the 18".
Is that a little clearer? Now the suspension and tire compound/type can ensue. Shoulda stuck with Voltwings reply
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You want to go with a wider tire (255 to a 275 or 275 to a 295 etc), not taller (18" to 19") for traction. If you look at the drag strip where cars are launching hard and want max traction, 15" wheel is common. If you like the larger wheel, lower profile look, you may be able to go with a taller and wider tire (see sidewall explanation above) and have similar results as you have now but unless you're running something skinny on the rear (like a 255), I doubt you'll do much better traction wise going to a 19" or 20" setup from the 18".
Is that a little clearer? Now the suspension and tire compound/type can ensue. Shoulda stuck with Voltwings reply
You're getting there. But you're still kinda confusing in that first sentence.
A taller tire will increase grip as well as a wider one. Taller actually helps more than width believe it or not, and that is a function of both sidewall and contact patch. Depending on the type of tire and compound, a 27" tire on a 19" wheel would likely grip better than a 26" tall tire on an 18" wheel. Even though they have similar sidewalls, the contact patch on the 19" setup is larger.
Of course, a 15" setup is gonna be worlds better for hooking a launch, but not everyone wants to daily a 15" with slicks setup.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
You're getting there. But you're still kinda confusing in that first sentence.
A taller tire will increase grip as well as a wider one. Taller actually helps more than width believe it or not, and that is a function of both sidewall and contact patch. Depending on the type of tire and compound, a 27" tire on a 19" wheel would likely grip better than a 26" tall tire on an 18" wheel. Even though they have similar sidewalls, the contact patch on the 19" setup is larger.
Of course, a 15" setup is gonna be worlds better for hooking a launch, but not everyone wants to daily a 15" with slicks setup.
All else equal, explain how that works?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
All else equal, explain how that works?
Contact patch is a function of tire diameter and tire width, as well as pressure, weight, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 11-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Contact patch is a function of tire diameter and tire width, as well as pressure, weight, and a bunch of other stuff
And on the op's car, pressure, weight and a bunch of other stuff is the same. We're only talking about changing tire size. I'd argue that given the wheel well is only so big, the overall diameter of the tire has to stay within a confined size. Increase the wheel and the sidewall becomes less. Sure you may get a larger contact patch going with a wider tire, but op can get a wider tire in 18" and keep a larger sidewall vs a 19" or 20".

Yes, my first sentence previously should have stated taller wheel, not taller tire.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, and assuming the same tire (255 for example), a 255/xx/18 will have more contact patch than a 255/xx/19 because of the added sidewall. If you take a 27" tire on a 19" rim and a 26" tire on an 18" rim, i have a hard time understanding how the 19 will just have more contact patch. In my mind it wont, you're confusing a taller overall diameter with a taller tire (ie: more sidewall).
Old 11-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, and assuming the same tire (255 for example), a 255/xx/18 will have more contact patch than a 255/xx/19 because of the added sidewall. If you take a 27" tire on a 19" rim and a 26" tire on an 18" rim, i have a hard time understanding how the 19 will just have more contact patch. In my mind it wont, you're confusing a taller overall diameter with a taller tire (ie: more sidewall).
I'm not confusing anything. A 27" tire has more contact patch than a 26" tire, regardless of sidewall or wheel size.

And yes, while you have a finite amount of space, you can easily fit a 28" tire in the rear. Possibly even bigger depending on suspension, tire width, wheel offset, etc

Last i checked this only worked on a pc, but cool tool to play with
http://bndtechsource.ucoz.com/index/...alculator/0-20
Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So dont take it personally, i dont take anything at face value and like to approach everything with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I went on Tire rack and found 3 identical tires except for the height. All Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255.

255/45/19
Tire height: 28.1"
Tread width: 9"
Michelin*Pilot Super Sport

255/40/19
Tire height: 27.1"
Tread width: 9.1"

255/40/18
Tire height: 26.1"
Tread width: 8.5"

Still makes zero sense to me, but there it is i guess.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So dont take it personally, i dont take anything at face value and like to approach everything with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I went on Tire rack and found 3 identical tires except for the height. All Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255.

255/45/19
Tire height: 28.1"
Tread width: 9"

255/40/19
Tire height: 27.1"
Tread width: 9.1"

255/40/18
Tire height: 26.1"
Tread width: 8.5"

Still makes zero sense to me, but there it is i guess.
You are only thinking one dimension. Width. A contact patch is two dimensions. Length and width. Tire width of course determines width, tire height and a bunch of other variables determine length. This is why lowering pressure helps, it lengthens the contact patch. Go ahead and play with the calculator i linked, it shows my logic pretty well
Old 11-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That makes sense, but why the same 255 with the same sidewall is 1/2" narrower does not.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That makes sense, but why the same 255 with the same sidewall is 1/2" narrower does not.
That's most likely due to certain tires being made for certain vehicles, for instance, especially with mpss, you'll see a few of the same size but with different specs. That's because BMW or Mercedes... or Ford... asked them to make the tire a certain way
Old 11-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are only thinking one dimension. Width. A contact patch is two dimensions. Length and width. Tire width of course determines width, tire height and a bunch of other variables determine length. This is why lowering pressure helps, it lengthens the contact patch. Go ahead and play with the calculator i linked, it shows my logic pretty well
I get the logic, but you're still missing the point that you can only fit a 28" tire (as you say) and that tire on a 18" rim or 20" rim will hook better on a 18" rim because it has the same contact patch due to the equal outside diameter of the tire, the width being the same but a larger sidewalls ability to take some of the initial hit.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I get the logic, but you're still missing the point that you can only fit a 28" tire (as you say) and that tire on a 18" rim or 20" rim will hook better on a 18" rim because it has the same contact patch due to the equal outside diameter of the tire, the width being the same but a larger sidewalls ability to take some of the initial hit.
I never argued that the same diameter tire on a smaller wheel would not grip better. I was simply stating there are some cases where you could have more grip with a larger diameter wheel.

For a street car or if you plan on road coursing or autocrossing, you would also not want to run with a huge sidewall on a small wheel. So there are other factors to consider.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never argued that the same diameter tire on a smaller wheel would not grip better. I was simply stating there are some cases where you could have more grip with a larger diameter wheel.

For a street car or if you plan on road coursing or autocrossing, you would also not want to run with a huge sidewall on a small wheel. So there are other factors to consider.
The only thing I plan on doing is going from point A to B as fast as I can! Lol. Which seemed to be the op's interest since hooking was mentioned. I just assumed since this question was posted on a mustang forum we were working within the confines of a mustang specs. I know, I know, never assume!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only thing I plan on doing is going from point A to B as fast as I can! Lol. Which seemed to be the op's interest since hooking was mentioned. I just assumed since this question was posted on a mustang forum we were working within the confines of a mustang specs. I know, I know, never assume!
Who says mustangs can't be built for handling?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who says mustangs can't be built for handling?
Not me! My theory is if something breaks going fast in a straight line, chances are it won't be as disastrous as going fast around a corner and having something break. If you're not breaking stuff, you're not pushing hard enough! Btw, I don't break stuff, lol! Total hypocracy here!
Old 11-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just went from 18's to 20's and I can tell a difference in just normal every day acceleration. Its not super obvious, but it is noticeable. Just keep the 18s you have in the garage in case you ever want to go do some auto x or something.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I highly recommend the RTR Tech 7's. They are lightweight, 23lbs for 19x9.5 and 24lbs for 19x10.5

I went from the stock Brembo wheels with BFGeforce tires to the above on MPSS.

I can't stress enough how much better the car handles and performs now. This is the first time I've spent the $$$ on some high end tires and it was worth every penny... I could never go back now.

Even though the MPSS were wider than my stockers, they actually ended up being 1-2lbs lighter per tire.

Same with the wheels...though you get conflicting information on the internet about how much the Brembo wheels actually weigh.

You can follow my journey on picking tire sizes here: 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 - Tire Options?

I am extremely happy with 295's in the rear. They GRIP and GO. I can actually USE first gear now. (3:73 gears)
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Experience is gold! I'm looking at 295's next set. I've read Kuhmo Ecsta PS91 is very comparable to mpss and much less. Using 1st w 3.73's is saying a lot!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT