Mustang Evolution Forum banner

MGW shifter cam in today!

9K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  kylewilson5.0 
#1 ·
So as the title states I got my shifter in today after a very long time of saving up and and even more dreadful week while it arrived! I will be posting a review and a comparison to the Barton short throw with 2 post bracket (which has given me headaches)

#47 ·
This was literally my first mods to my 2014 GT. The stock shifter was fine for someone who doesn't care about precision. Took me about 4 hours to install with a lift. Kind of a pain to be in tight spots like that but it could be done on jack stands. After installation you can tell that you will need to actually use pressure to shift and move through neutral unlike stock where you could shift using your pinky finger. There will be more noise from the trans into the interior but not much. You will also see the shifter move one acceleration and deceleration. More vibration if you keep your hand on the shifter while you drive. Don't recommend you doing that. But with all the mods I've done, the MGW shifter is by far the best one. Great choice

#51 ·
The install videos pretty much covers everything you need to know honestly. I didnt stray away from it at all, I did forget to place the dynomat so I installed it after I installed the shifter.

And I did mine on a lift and was a bit annoying I hope yours goes smooth on the driveway!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#55 ·
I tried driving it aggressively today and I kept getting locked out on 2-3 shift when trying to shift past roughly 6700rpm. if I'm not going WOT, i can shift real high and not have an issue. I was considering polyurethane motor mount bushings etc but that's a job I don't really feel like tackeling either

#61 ·
I was reading this thread because I'm interested in the MGW shifter but you just got my interested with an issue I noticed. Only had the car a couple weeks but I noticed after a couple hard WOT shifts that the clutch has more than once been "left" at the bottom after a shift. You think this is a spring or something? Clutch feels strong I was wondering if it was related to the master cylinder or something. In my v6 stang I actually had the clutch pedal assembly break due to a bad weld...

Also FYI everyone that MGW shifter is 10% off this weekend. I noticed it after going to their site with interest to buy, I might have to jump on it!

#60 ·
I had an MGW that was modified in a GTO. When I got the Mustang there was no question what shifter was going in it. I did the install in my garage and although it took a little longer on jacks and stands (always should be both!) it wasn't too bad. Totally different driving experience.

How difficult is the SS line install for those that have done it?

#66 ·
I am a big fan of blind testing.....we expect improvement cause we spent $/time/read the advertisement so the butt dyno will find improvement that ain't always there. fwiw I like the idea of it enough to recommend the line but other than intellectually I don't have a reason.

#68 ·
remember to keep your rpm's up when shifting..
just keep your foot on the gas a "little"*bit longer when you shift out of the gear..

so when you hit the next gear, you rpm's are higher, and not low... this will help a lot.. and will help make quick, easy, precise shifting..

#69 ·
Someone here mentioned their clutch pedal sticking, mine was doing that too. After running the car really hard, I'd get the sticking clutch pedal. Like it would stick to floor and I had to put my foot under it and pull it back up. I got a Shelby ISO-Clutch Remote Reservoir Kit and it stopped. Factory, the brake master cylinder and clutch slave share the same brake fluid reservoir, so it's easy to boil the stock DOT 3 brake fluid. Mine is a track pack so the Brembos made it even easier to boil the brake fluid. Separated the two with that kit and no more sticking clutch pedal and a hell of a lot less brake fade after running the car hard because the brake fluid isn't being worked as hard.
Fill up the new reservioir with DOT 3, drive it a 50 or 100 miles, suck out the brake fluid with a Turkey baster and refill it. Your clutch pedal will get a little stiffer and engage lower. Mine went from engaging at almost the very top..down to about an inch off the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.