Mustang Evolution Forum banner

MGW shifter cam in today!

9K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  kylewilson5.0 
#1 ·
So as the title states I got my shifter in today after a very long time of saving up and and even more dreadful week while it arrived! I will be posting a review and a comparison to the Barton short throw with 2 post bracket (which has given me headaches)

#3 ·
Got mine in last week. Need to get it installed. I went with the X-Spec Low profile for the shortest throw (25% less than stock) which also meant I couldn't use the shifter knob like you have cause it raises the knob up about 3/4"

Are you having a shop do it or are you doing it yourself (or someone you know)?

Anything will be an improvement over my SR Performance shirt throw shifter since the factory was better lol.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
Nice bro! I went with the x-spec with stock handle. The Barton gave me a 40% shorter throw but the reverse lockout kept breaking on me so I didn't care if I had higher throw I just wanted to get rid of that crap.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I'll be doing my own install, i like to do everything my self so when I give advice I know what to say or even look at my car I get the satisfaction that I did everything to it

#6 ·
+1

#7 ·
okay so i installed it this morning and i got to drive it around. first off let me say that this shifter is superior to the barton, to even be comparing it is like comparing soccer to football. they are definitely two different sports when it comes to smoothness and crispness of the shift.

Barton with bracket. so i installed this about a year ago and even though it was better than stock it still had issues with the high rpm shifting. now it is better than stock and a good replacement however i would not recommend this shifter to anyone and would suggest to wait and save for the MGW. the shifter did have a 40% reduced throw which was cool but it did leave alot on the table and should not be bought as a "problem solver to all mt-82 problems". another problem that i had with this shifter is my reverse lockout tab broke twice and even though barton replaced both free of charge and i have to say they have great customer service i was not going to give them the chance to replace a third shifter.

MGW. wow. so the install was pretty straightforward with the video helping alot however they didn't update the video for the new x-spec ( if anyone has any questions ask and ill let you know everything thats different) so to start this off i own a huge piece of land and all this spirited driving was done on a closed road. :cool: the shifting was smooth as a hot butter through a knife lol. shifting with this shifter is smooth. i put no effort into shifting at high rpm or even under normal driving and it just goes in as i feel it should have been through factory. words can only reach out so far but if you ever decide you want to buy this shifter trust me it is worth every penny. the shifter looks quality made, not plastic on the reverse lock out tab and its just a solid shifter. i have joined the MGW fanboys because of experience with different shifters i know why people say this is the best one.

TL;DR MGW FTW. buy one shifter, the right shifter, MGW.

if you have any questions about the shifter or install PM or reply here and ill answer.

#14 ·
As the previous 2 have stated you can only buy new from MGW them selves and used from anyone else. However I will point out that as much as I've searched (for about 8 months) I never found someone selling a race spec shifter, which is what I have that comes with the entire assembly. A lot of people sell gen 1 or gen 2, im not saying don't buy these but it will not be a complete install and it leaves a lot on the table as the Barton did for me. Buy new race spec and never worry about the shifter any more.

#11 ·
J,

nice pics...props for taking time.

B,

Contact MGW directly....I dealt with them when I bought my used shifter to answer a question and they got back to me within a few hrs. They are the shifter of choice. You can pay less but you get what you pay for.

#12 ·
Yeah there customer service is great. They called me to explain how the knob I chose would defeat the low profile I selected due to height and gave me a video to watch to see if I wanted to change. Watched it and called the number they called me from and a REAL PERSON ANSWERED lol. Same woman actually.

As for buying... two options

1. Buy it used somewhere
2. www.mgwshifters.com

They only direct sell

#17 ·
For sake of clarity and providing info, let's say someone has a prev gen MGW and not the race spec. Does MGW offer parts/upgrades for them?

#18 ·
#20 ·
That's quite a read. Now I must note that it does have the blowfish bracket on the previous gen so he's not really comparing "old gen vs new gen" since he has an added part. That's my reasoning that the older models shouldn't be bought as a "fix all" since you still need the bracket to make it better. Race spec comes with the linkage arms and it's made to work perfectly with the shifter. I've heard nothing but great things of the blowfish however I rather buy an entire assembly then buy 2 parts from two different companies

#25 ·
Nice Robostang!:thumb:

#27 ·
You don't drop it, you just lower it. The install was pretty straightforward took me about an hour and a half maybe 2. Nothing was really tough however my arms did get tired from reaching above the tranny and losening then tightening. You can see in the video how he unbolted the mount then lowers it and it just hangs there that's as far as it goes then you do work above it.

#28 ·
Didn't have to lower tranny when installing prev gen models.

#30 ·
I want to install mine but only have a sloped driveway at the moment to do it. Maybe after I get my garage door working I can get the car in there and do it.

Did call and check on install price and they want about $170 so I'd rather do it myself.

Not a huge fan of being underneath the car on jack stands though. At least not until I'm on a level surface.

#33 ·
*hanging my head*

Dropped my car off just now to have them install it....

Didn't want to wait anymore and like instated before... don't want to do it on a sloped driveway.

Well I'm sure I'll be happy with it and it will be worth it to me to not get squished lmao

This is only the second thing I haven't done in my car myself, first being gears.

#34 ·
It'll be done, you'll be happy. Win win! :thumb:

#42 ·
:thumb: Amazing how it changes your confidence. Before, most shifts you think about, almost hesitant to shift. Now, you just shift, no thought, no worry! Right?

#44 ·
Now.......ya might want to consider this!!;)

Friday I installed a McLeod SS Hydraulic Clutch line and the results are unbelievable........REALLY!!:bow:

I complained about the "Vagueness" of the shifter and clutch in my 2014 GT from day one......so I got the MGW shifter which was a great improvement but the clutch was still kinda funky from time to time.......some days I could drive it like it was a smooth automatic and others I jerked it around like I never drove a manual!!:nonono: BTW.....I've been driving manuals for 50+ years!!:whistling:

My first drive after bleeding the line was AMAZING.......the clutch is "SPOT ON" every time and the shifter is actually a LOT smoother!!:thumb::dance:

Gotta say that this is the best $60.00 I've spent so far....wish I'd done it when first I got the car!!:D

#46 ·
I'd recommend the SS line also though I didn't experience any huge difference. One thing I had an issue with was pressing clutch to floor and holding it there to coast for a few seconds, on warm days just running up through the gears, and it would stick. I'd have to lift the pedal back and it was fine after that. Haven't had that issue since installing the SS line, McLeod also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.