GTR on a mustang forum - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

GTR on a mustang forum

So i have been thinking very hard latley about supercharging my 2013 gt, but another side of me sees the market for a used gtr. This being a mustang forum i hope to avoid the gtr fanboys, but also would like you guys to be open about it. Share some thoughts please.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tgalien201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've driven a few GTR's and the performance is crazy, especially off the line acceleration. With your standard mods they are insanely fast cars from a dig.

That said, as a bigger guy, I'm a legit 6' 3" and 285 lbs and have no issues with leg room or head room but the width of the seats is horrible. My hips don't fit, shoulders don't fit, legs don't fit ... they are extremely uncomfortable if you don't have a slim build.

One of the guys I know has one of the fastest GTR's in the country and he has mentioned to several people wanting to buy a used one is, only buy a 2011+ with little to no mods unless you know how it's been driven.

He mentioned that transmission failure is the biggest issue with these cars, especially with mods. They also aren't cheap to own as most repairs cost serious money, same with mods. They are high dollar cars no matter how you look at it.

Your Mustang even with a supercharger would have a hard time pulling away from a GTR until well into triple digit speeds. With just basic mods, a GTR will trap around 127 MPH in the 1320.

If you have the money and can afford any possible future repairs, I would absolutely dump the Mustang and go with a GTR.

*Edit*

Also, stay away from wrecked or rebuilt ones.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the honest feedback. I am on the slim side so thats no issue. The maintenance is something i looked into because i know i can save up for a 2012 one soon but figured i would find a dealer that had it to make sure it is in good shape.

tgalien201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
They're awesome cars but as Ish said, even if they are affordable to buy used, they aren't very affordable to maintain or mod. If you think the Shelby tax is bad, the GTR tax is 5-10 times worse.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalien201 View Post
Thanks for the honest feedback. I am on the slim side so thats no issue. The maintenance is something i looked into because i know i can save up for a 2012 one soon but figured i would find a dealer that had it to make sure it is in good shape.

Buying one from a dealer doesn't mean you are getting a "good" one. When I was entertaining the idea of buying a GTR earlier this year, I talked with a service manager at a larger Nissan dealer here in Indiana and he mentioned that since there are so many potential issues with powertrain failures, mainly the transmission, that Nissan will not let it's dealers sell a GTR as a certified used Nissan. Which basically means, no warranty.

That said, if buying a GTR from a dealer, I would absolutely negotiate something like a 12 month / 15,000 mile warranty on a car that can have repairs that are that expensive.

FYI, from the notes I have, a replacement transmission for a GTR runs around $14,000 before tax and before labor. That was a price quoted from that same Nissan dealer.

If you go with a race shop like Buschur Racing, you are looking at $8,500 plus labor for a rebuilt tranny.

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else away, people just need to realize that while they may be able to afford the payments and insurance, they may not actually be able to afford the car.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Can't comment on much other than they are sweet rides but I'm not sure you can't walk away from one in a modded mustang at rolling speed over 40mph. I'm not a racer but had a 2010? GTR go by me, oohed and awed at his car then he pulled in front of me and slowed down for no reason as both lanes were open ahead. Call me a sucker bc I dropped a couple gears and came around him. When I got along side him, I heard a pretty sweet scream and I put the pedal down. Much to my surprise I watched him in my rear view. That was well before any excessive speed over the speed limit. At a traffic jam 10 min up the road, he rolled up and asked what the f I had under the hood. Told him Roush w smaller pulley blah blah (literally) and that he still had a beautiful ride. You can mod either car, one may be faster but there'll always be one faster. Get the car YOU want. Supercharged 5.0 isn't easy to get off the line without other mods (suspension, tires, practice) so from a purchase and go off the line, my vote is the GTR. Kinda tough to slide the rear around on an all wheel drive car. Seems to be a few more mustangs on the road so there's that too. To quote someone else "pick your poison" lol.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT