Mustang Evolution Forum banner

big brake kit

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Charger212 
#1 ·
Has anyone upgraded their brakes from stock to a big brake kit? i see that AM offers the svt, gt500 and a wilwood. The latter being a six piston brake system. is there any advantage to either one? suggestions?

#2 ·
Most "Big Brake" kits for the front are 6 piston. Do you plan on tracking your car? If not, a BBK would only be for looks. If you're wanting to stop better, stickier tires, steel lines, and pads, will be a lot cheaper.

#3 ·
Yes I do plan on tracking the car I do autoX whenever it comes around here and plan on doing a couple road course when spring and summer comes around. The svt and gt500 are 4 piston systems should I go after the 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
more pistons =/= more clamping force. The only reason they add more pistons is for more equal clamping pressure / even pad wear as the calipers and rotors start getting larger. The 15" are not needed, you can get all the stopping power you will ever need out of the OEM Brembos.

The Brembos have some added benefits such as ease of swapping pads, more even pad wear (because fixed caliper) and higher thermal limit (because 14" vs 13.2", wont be an issue at autox though), but as far as straight stopping power is concerned you will not notice a difference between the stock 13.2" rotors and the Brembos assuming the same pad and tire is used on both.

#10 ·
The 05-09 GT500 and the 11-14 track pack brembos are not the same. You'll want the OEM ones from the 5.0 track pack, as they'll have a better pad selection. As far as the 11-12 GT500, i am not sure if those brembos are the same as the 5.0 / boss.

I am 99% sure the above information is correct, but now im second guessing myself... At any rate, here is the link for the best kit out there. You can buy off AM if you want, but you wont be getting as good of pads or rotors.

S197 Mustang 14" Brembo Front Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

The 05-09 GT500 and the 11-14 track pack brembos are not the same. You'll want the OEM ones from the 5.0 track pack, as they'll have a better pad selection. As far as the 11-12 GT500, i am not sure if those brembos are the same as the 5.0 / boss.

I am 99% sure the above information is correct, but now im second guessing myself... At any rate, here is the link for the best kit out there. You can buy off AM if you want, but you wont be getting as good of pads or rotors.

#11 ·

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Thank you for this! I couldn't find the the brembos for this gen and I thought it would cost more. Sweet thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#14 ·
I've got a 2014 Track Pack Brembo car, and I too wanted better braking. Can't really beat the factory Brembos for most (including with tracking the car) situations. After doing a lot of research, here's what I ended up doing. There is a Ford NASCAR team that makes a machined billet adaptor bracket for the rear of your car. It costs about $110. With that bracket you can remove the factory 11" rear rotors. I bought 13" rotors from Brake Performance for less than $100. for the pair. I coupled that with Hawk HPS pads all around. The brackets take about 5 minutes each to install. I'll try to find that company name and add to this post shortly. Much happier with the brake system now. I also added a Shelby Remote Reservoir kit. Wasn't comfortable with the brakes and the clutch using the same fluid/reservoir.

#15 ·
Big brake adapters

I bought a set of adapters off ebay for 99.00. The guy machines them at his home in North Carolina I believe. I put the GT500 brakes on the rear of mine for about 160.00 total. I got the rotors from rock auto for 30.00 a piece. The part number is #12161105:dance:

#17 ·
The guy sells on Ebay as NCMUSTANGPARTS. If you look up his name on ebay I believe you will find him and his adapters. or you can just do a search on Ebay for mustang big brake adapters. Either way you should be able to find him

#18 ·
$99.00 plus free shipping. They include all bolts also.

#19 ·
Here is the item number on Ebay, this will defimately hook you up with the seller of these brackets (152945832604)

#20 ·

I see he has sold the last set and ebay wont let you look at items that are not there. I sent him an email and asked if he was going to have some more made soon. I guess we will just have to wait till he gets back to me and I will let you know.

Thanks

Reactions: Pallen2270
#22 ·
I just got contacted by the seller I bought from on Ebay he has just listed 4 sets and I belive you can find them like I said before.

#23 ·
153042575019 I just used this number on Ebays searh and they popped up. So there ya go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.