Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Convertible top will not go down

22K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jennings2403 
#1 ·
I've checked swapped fuses/relay tried a new switch and motor. Filled motor with fluid. I can hear the motor when switch press up but not down. Was told by my mechanic to take it to dealer to scan codes. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like a sensor problem. You say you can hear the motor when you press the up button, but not the down. First I'd check the connector at the motor and make sure when you press the down button, you are getting power. Then I'd look to see if there is a sensor that tells the motor if the top is up or down. It may think you're already down and not allow the motor to move. After that, then I'd take it to a shop.

#5 · (Edited)
Most Ford convertibles used a separate fusible link located by the battery that supplied the battery voltage to the relays by the convertible top motor. May want to check if this is the case for your Mustang, and if this fusible link wire burned. It functions like a fuse, in that the wire inside will burn if there's an over draw of amps used by this circuit.

#7 ·
OK, maybe we need a little more info. What year is this Mustang? Here's what I know about my own '05 convertible.
1. You do not have to have the brake on.
2. I must be doing less than 3mph to operate top (users manual).
3. If the top is up, and I press the up button, the motor will run for a moment or two, stall out and stop. Same in the down position.
4. The '05 has two separate relays, one for up and one for down. So it would stand to reason it probably has 2 fuses as well (but I don't know that for a fact).

Hope that helps.

#12 ·
My problem is a little different (2005 Convertible). I recently replaced the rear window motor, now the top will not go down. I hit the down button and the 4 windows go down. Then I hear a click from each rear window, then nothing. The relays never click and the motor never engages. Is there a sensor not detecting that the windows are down? Checked fuses and relays, all look good. Same for the top up switch...all 4 windows roll down but the top motor never engages.

#13 ·
UPDATE - I tested all of the wires from the SJB to the fuse box and also to the sensors and motors. All are good. Top Ajar sensor is reading correctly, all wires appear to have a good connection...but still nothing happens after the windows roll down. Even tried a different SJB, same results. Then, one final act of desperation, I but a jumper between the relay connections (UP Relay in place, Down Relay pulled and jumpered) and the top went down with no problem. Reversed the configuration and it went back up. So the motor is good.

All of this started when the back rear window motor died and I replaced it. Next step wil be to pull that back out and inspect it real close. Window works fine, but is it not sending the "window down" signal to the SJB? How can I test that?

#14 ·
FIXED IT!! I realized there is no physical switch to signal when the windows are down, but that signal is definitely a prerequisite for the SJB to activate the top down relay. So it must come from the window motor itself. I went back to the 2005 Mustang convertible at my local PIck-n-Pull and harvested the passenger rear window motor and regulator. Cleaned it up and plugged it in...IT WORKED! The top now goes up and down. The very first thing I fixed was putting in a brand new rear window motor. Because it worked the window properly, I thought all was good and moved on to testing other items. BUt I was fooled, the motor rolled the window up and down...but never sent the down signal to the SJB so the entire process stopped there. And the automotive store refunded my $150 for the new motor, while the harvested motor only cost me $30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.