Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Can I make cruise always on in 2011 GT Premium?

Tags
2011 gt
9K views 194 replies 20 participants last post by  walexelect 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 GT Premium, and every time I start the car the default for the cruise control is off. Is there a way to make the default be on when I start the car?

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
(& i'm not ranting, i'm trying to get you to listen & (maybe) learn something.)
He asked a question.
The answer is No.
& i'm trying to explain WHY the answer is no.
The main reason is because it's a safety feature.
The cruise control stays OFF by default.
This is controlled by chips & modules that check this, & shut it off by default,
even if you reprogram it.
You cannot change this without replacing who knows what.

...The answer to OPs question is No.
Autocorrect is my worst enema...

#50 ·
ya'll know that when the OP is talking about wanting cruise control always being on he's not talking about it being engaged. To engage it is a 2 step process 1st you turn cruise control on, then you hit set....

sorry if that is obvious but I THINK some are misinterpreting what OP is asking.

#56 ·
On some vehicles, you can leave it on.
On some (like the mustang...) you can't leave it On.
you have to turn it on yourself. this is for safety, so the cruise is off by default.
the computers & chips & whatever checks that it is off by default,
so, even if you DO reprogram it to be on by default, the computer will override this, & shut it off.
This is so the cruise isn't set by accident.
I don't know how to explain the answer any more for you(?)

Assimilation Protocol v.4

#57 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can explain how I know this, if you really want:
The cruise control setting interacts with the CAN-Interior bus, hoping that you'll send a cruise on/cruise off command to the bus and have the right things happen. And it almost works.

The cab-compartment-node (CCN) is the one that decides if the cruise feature is on or not - that's who listens to the cruise on switch. It broadcasts out CAN messages like this:

can0 20E [7] 00 80 47 20 FF FF 0C # Cruise control ON
can0 20E [7] 00 00 47 20 FF FF 0C # Cruise control OFF

You can see bit 7 in the second byte is what indicates if the cruise feature is on or not.

If you send the cruise on message yourself, you MEVO geniuses, it looks like both the console and the PCM listen to that command and do the right thing. Unfortunately, the CCN broadcasts the state it thinks the switch is in every 500ms, so it goes right back to off, or fights. Not an effective solution.

So to do that you'll need to either reprogram the CCN, which is highly non-trivial unless someone already knows that the cruise on by default is a feature setting in the firmware, or do some magic on the LIN bus with the cruise control switch so it auto defaults on.

The last option is probably the easiest and it would be relatively hard, but totally not worth it. Press the switch.

There.
NOW why can't you believe that the answer is No...?

Prove me wrong, macho jerks.

#60 ·
Wow

This has to be the longest most confusing thread in history about pushing ONE button on a steering wheel.
:cool::confused::banghead:
Ronnie

#75 ·
DONT CLOSE YET!

If you press the on button while starting your car, will the computer over ride it and turn the cruise off automatically?

#76 ·
If I take this...

Attachments

#79 ·
And open it up...

Attachments

#82 ·
I see the circuit board an "on" circuit. When the button is pushed, it makes the contact on the circuit board. If you drop solder on it or wedge something metal to make the contact for simplicities sake, then wouldn't it be on all the time? I'm just asking cuz I'm a dumb boy and don't know anything.

Attachments

#83 ·
You should be correct. The second the car turns on it should recognize the contact and turn the cruise on. You'll never be able to turn it off but it will always be on. Problem solved.

Nice job dumb boy who won't listen to NO even though this task is impossible to do because of the computer.

Every modern invention was created because somebody didn't listen to another person telling them no.

#86 ·
If I had an extra I'd give it a go cuz I'd like nothing more than to drop the biggest mic on this thread! But since I don't, you're all left to draw your own conclusions and we'll check one win in the girls column.

OP, if you're want to try it, unplug the battery for safety sake. Since the air bag isn't disconnected, I leave the battery connected. On each side of the steering column is a rubber plug about the size of a nickle. Pry them out and use an 8mm socket to unscrew the bolt it covers. This will allow the air bag to come out so be careful. You just need the air bag to slide out enough to remove the steering wheel spoke. The plastic piece that surrounds the cruise controls. The controls will come with it and there are wires so again, be careful. A stiff plastic tool helps but if you have the finger strength, you can pry from the outside edge of the spoke on the outside of the steering wheel and it will come off. They're tight and there's probably a video somewhere. Once it's off, there's a few tabs that allow the controls to pop out and a pinch tab to disconnect the wires. Once you have just the control and a little screwsriver, there's 3 tabs, one on three sides that will allow the buttons to pull away from the circuit board. Again, it's tight, easy, steady, short movements, wiggle wiggle and it will come out. If you do this, please let us know the outcome.

#99 ·
Anyone try pressing the on button while starting their car to see if this is a plausible solution? Since there's so much useless and unrelated chatter not relating to the OP's question, let's re-cap. OP wants to be able to start his car and have the cruise control on so all that is needed to set his speed is to hit the set button. I proposed jumping the contacts on the circuit board for the on switch so the cruise would be on at start up. Some think the computer will over ride the on switch and turn the cruise off if it is done this way.
If one of you lucky ppl that drives their car year round would try holding the on button while starting the car, and then when you're driving, hit the set button to see if it will work...I think we (as a collective community of mustang fans) would be one step closer to helping the op out.

#100 · (Edited by Moderator)
Umm, yes, the cruise will turn on if you turn it on(?)
OP doesn't want to turn it on manually--he wants it on 24/7, like you can do on some vehicles.
(&, I have given the "solution" multiple times.)
Unless you redo it, no, you can't have it on by default like you can on some vehicles...
(see the other posts, where it has been explained WHY the answer is NO)

#102 ·
hoping I don't have to close this thread so on topic........I tried the CC in my Tacoma yesterday (Stang is sleeping for winter and I MAY have used it 1x so no Ford help). The Toyota seems to have a switch like the stangs where it is not maintained....it just sends a signal each time that when computer sees it changes from on to off. I wonder if cheating the switch is going to work or just make it angry and not come on at all. I guess it won't come on at all if the person who wrote that program had a safety mandate. The idea of pressing the button when starting is a good idea to see if it may work.

Plz note I don't believe it to be a real hazard but do prefer a 2 step process before keeping the gas pedal maintained.

Props to Beviking for good posts and trying to move the discussion fwd in a helpful manner!

#103 ·
I'll try it on my DD today. If it works and somebody wants to attempt the full mod, I'll be selling a extra premium steering wheel and buttons for about $25 plus shipping once I get it out of storage. Would offer the ability for OP or someone else to test with ruining their current buttons.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#104 ·
Dibs!

If it works on your DD I'll be trying it on my car once it's out of hibernation. Haven't put the switch back in yet so y not. Probably a safety issue not having my buttons in the car while it's in storage?

My thought too Mud. W/o knowing how the circuit is controlled, a simple jump may not work.

Close it if you need to, I'll recreate it when the time comes. Hopefully I won't be posting about a fire but luckily, there are legitimate safety features like fuses :dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.