Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Build advice on 2012 Mustang

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  kaper232 
#1 ·
I am new to the Mustang owner community and looking for build advice. I am just starting out.
So far I have been given a lot of different areas to work on to improve performance on my mustang. I started by ordering a CAI and a tuner. But I do not know where to go from here. I have been told to go for a new intake manifold and new Final gears (3.73 specifically) to multiple different things. I want to work on performance first and I am working it a piece at a time as I live on a monthly spend budget. Any help would be much appreciated. I am running on stock with 3.31 gear ratio. I will be installing the CAI within the next week and running a 91 octane tune from BAMA.

#3 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to the V6 section. First post from Voltwings. Most everything there will apply to your build. You didn't post whether you had a Convertible or hard top. Some parts are not interchangeable. What you intend to do with your car? Daily Driver, Track, Strip or Cruiser for the weekend. It can be a long process and expensive. Your only limited by money, what the wife or girlfriend will let you. You can always get another girlfriend but the wife gets half of your car.

GOOD LUCK! :mustang:

#7 ·
I use it as a daily driver and as kind of a project. It is a manual. It's the 5.0 not the v6. Forgot to mention that above. I'm looking to do a lot with it eventually and wife encourages it lol. So no worries. I understand the costs. I'm good with that. Just can't buy it all at once.

#11 ·
Hey.! Happy to hear you're going on a build frenzy. I am the same way. I have a 2014 5.0 manual. I have a ton of plans for it which include: boss intake manifold, throttle body, bigger cai, sparks, injectors, pulleys, gears and other little things. I have installed so far, cai, long tube headers, off road x pipe, muffler deletes and a tune by bama. Once my list is complete, my car should be a menace of close to 500 hp. Those are the main things you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
Hey.! Happy to hear you're going on a build frenzy. I am the same way. I have a 2014 5.0 manual. I have a ton of plans for it which include: boss intake manifold, throttle body, bigger cai, sparks, injectors, pulleys, gears and other little things. I have installed so far, cai, long tube headers, off road x pipe, muffler deletes and a tune by bama. Once my list is complete, my car should be a menace of close to 500 hp. Those are the main things you can do.
Your won't be anything close to 500 horsepower and your list is not very well thought out. There are no pulleys to change and injectors are not needed for this list.

#16 ·
If you talk to any of the tuners out there, I think you'll find the stock exhaust is good to flow over 500hp. So unless you're looking to change the sound, you can put your $ elsewhere until you get up there.
Can't argue with the gear swap but if you're spinning the tires at take off, you're not going anywhere. The tune you ordered will make a noticeable difference, but you might want to consider being able to use the power you're already making before adding more. I couldn't stand the sloppy feel of the stock rear suspension so springs, panhard bar/support bracket, upper and lower control arms made a big difference in control and putting power down instead of just spinning. 30k miles on stock shocks for me so unless you get a killer deal on a kit, you may be able to do those later. I'm guessing you've been told tires as well.
Good luck and have fun!

#21 ·
Nitrous is cheap n easy.

#23 ·
OP, get a bigger Intake Manifold like the Cobra Jet, get it ported, and cams. Then you will see gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.