Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine oil level low after a tune?

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mikegt323 
#1 ·
Alright so I just installed an o/r h pipe and tuned my car after driving about 55 miles the engine oil level low light came on so i added some oil and light was still on so then I flashed my stock tune, started up the car light was off, then I flashed my 91 tune back on and it was all good. Next day I get an oil change and I drove the car for about 20 miles, parked it, then went to go start it again and engine oil level low light came back on, I highly doubt my car burned that much oil in only a 20 mile drive, any idea what the problem can be?

#2 ·
That's a really strange scenario. I don't have an answer but I did subscribe to your thread.

Please keep us posted when you eventually resolve this. Fascinating!

#5 ·
Nope I just added the gears and seats afterwards, I didn't do the oil change myself I had ford donit but I did just check the oil after letting my car sit for about 30 mins and on the dip stick where it has the 2 dots it was below the lower dot so I know it is low on oil now

#6 ·
So you checked the dipstick both times you got low oil level?
When you plugged your tuner into the OBD port did you check for thrown codes...if so what were the codes?
Have you tried to go back to the stock tune and drive it to see if you get low oil level and what code is shows.
Couple of more questions if you don't mind...how many miles does the car/motor have on it and what does the oil minder say how much life is left on the oil?

#7 ·
1st time it happened my car was parked on a down hill so I wasn't sure so I just added some oil, 2nd time as of now oil is low for sure. I haven't plugged the tuner to see if it threw any codes, I would check right now but tuner is not by me but I will tmrw for sure & if any codes come up I'll let u guys know. Car has 25k miles it never did this until I tuned it 2 days ago. I did check the oil minder and it says 99%

#9 ·
I'm not sure how the oil level sensor works...when your car throws a code I would suspect that it would need to be cleared and when you flashed to your stock tune you cleared the code. Now, with that said if the engine oil level light comes on and you actually check the oil level and it is low I doubt it is any problem with the tune but with the engine...what do your tail pipes look like...can you run your finger inside the pipes and is it carbon or oily. I'd check the plugs to see what they look like.
Not sure who's tune you have or what tuner you have...I just don't think the tune can cause an issue with oil level unless there is something in the motor that is letting the oil escape...like rings, valve guides, an oil leak, vacuum leak...the last two I'm sure you would notice.
Flash it back to the stock tune and drive 100/200 miles...if the motor still uses oil take it to the dealer as the drivetrain should still be under warranty.
When I was working with AED and data logging my 14 TrakPak tune I didn't see anything in the data log that would pertain to oil level...you are using oil obviously and it has to be going somewhere...IMHO
One last thing...hook up your tuner with the 91 tune and see if there are any codes that come up, just a thought.

#11 ·
ok quick update i checked the oil this morning and the oil level is perfectly fine, i guess when i checked it last night it was dark and my eyes lied to me, i did start the car and light was still on, im going to pick up my tuner device from my friends house when i get home from work and see if there are any codes being thrown & like olerodder said ill put my stock tune and drive around and see if it the light comes back on & if it does i guess ill contact my tuner or take it to ford and hopefully they cover it

#13 ·
alright so i flashed my car to the stock tune and drove my car for about 20 miles and the oil light came back on but i checked my oil before and after oil level was fine i even had a tech at ford look at my oil level lol so they said its either the sending unit or the oil pan sensor so it wasnt from the tune i guess it was just a big coincident and the sensor went bad right when i tuned it, I need this light turned off asap feels very uncomfortable driving around with it on lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.